Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Just quit and just joined

17 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,this is all completely new to me although I have tried quitting many times before I have never discussed it with anyone, let alone a group of complete strangers. Anyway it will save me from boring my friends to death with a blow by blow account of the process. I read about everyones' efforts yesterday and thought if they can do it so can I. I actually stopped on the night of the 15th but I shall be BRUTALLY frank and confess that I had 1 1/2smokes yesterday. Today I shall have none which will make it the first time in over 30 years! Any tips on how to cope with loss of concentration will be much appreciated. Ciao
This is incredible I can't believe it! I am so glad I found this site and thanks to everyone who gave some ideas on how to concentrate. Today I spent wandering around a shopping mall(I don't even like shopping!) and went to a movie. But it worked, although I feel in a bit of a daze. After walking this morning I came back and thought what a wimp, so I got my emergency supply of 4 smokes and TRASHED them one by one and binned them. That's it!!!!!!!!!I finally told my husband who is on business overseas, although we had made an agreement 2 weeks ago. Hopefully when he comes back he will also be able to quit. Must go and get dinner and feed the starving dog and cat Ciao Caddie
Next morning,am just off for a walk and then out for the day including to the dentist. I don't think that counts as a treat though! I am doing this with the help of patches but I think I was finally prompted by the images that are now on cigarette packs of gangrene, black lungs and blocked arteries. When I wake up at night thinking about not smoking these images are very vivid. Too gruesome and nauseating. Unfortunately I just told a friend, someone who has never smoked, and she just laughed, which quite upset me, this process makes you feel quite fragile. Luckily another friend who quit a few years ago is very supportive and of course this site which is great. Does anyone know if secondary smoke affects your pets. Will check in this evening. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 83 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $23 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
Thanks Shevie & Marie for your ideas. I hve already followed most of the advice, making sure I have some fruit during the day and I bought a book by Allen Carr as recommended so that will be my bed time reading. Also I have thought about how to cope when my husband returns home and I will ask him not to smoke in front of me. I think he'll be okay with that although I do not want to turn into one of those people who harrangue other smokers after they quit, I think I will just need a bit of space for a while. Day 3 and I'm doing okay! Have already told a couple of people about the site as I'm finding it a fabulous help.. See you Caddie :confuse: ;) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 93 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $34.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
I'm going to quit this string now and join some others and maybe start another one as I feel it is time to move on, but I cannot tell you how much your responses have meant to me. Thanks Danielle and thanks to Breaking Free and all your fantastic graphics, and to everyone who has sent thoughts and love. Ciao Caddie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $103.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
It has been a couple of days, busy having fun on Sunday and yesterday back at Uni. But I have PASSED A MILESTONE, ONE WEEK!!!! The insomnia has passed but there is a small problem with constipation, so as an ad over here has it, I am making Fibre my Friend. Which of course creates the other F word FLATULENCE!!!! This is okay if you A. live alone, or B. are in a long term relationship, but if you have a new partner excuses will be required. Here are some ideas; leave the scene before the crime is committed or keep an old dog close by that you can blame. Got any other ideas? Thanks again for the support. Ciao Caddie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 264 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $92 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
Feeling pretty good but still have several low moments during the day. Talked to my husband and he is thinking that he will quit either tomorrow or Monday which will mean by the time he comes home he will have gone through the first couple of days. Last day of holiday tomorrow and then back to University and no I am not a teenager but a "mature age" student. That will keep me busy and now there is no longer smoking in the cafes on campus should make things a bit easier. Thanks for ideas about weight, I'm trying to stick to the carbs and protein during the day and just vegetables at night, plus the odd glass of wine! Ciao Caddie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 184 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $69 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
Hi Day 5, finally the fog is clearing a bit. Talked to my husband and he has been talkimng with some colleagues who have given him some tips. This is a real advance for him to be discussing this with anyone so am feeling confident about his committment. My friend who laughed, when I told her I was quitting came around with some flowers today and apologised which was great so we have got over that hurdle. Getting there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 154 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
Hi Day 4; at home today but plenty of things to keep busy. Have act5ually managed to think about the odd other thing apart from not smoking. Am experiencing insomnia for about 2 hours every night so am trying some deep breathing and stretching techniques and eventually, get back to sleep. But overall feelinggood that i don't have to smoke anymore. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $34.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
I found a smoke in the cupboard today that I didn't even know was there. Okay there was a seconds hesitation, but then I crushed it and binned it!!!!!!!!! Kept busy today, but going out for dinner with friends friday night so that will be a test although luckily none of them are smokers. Does anyone have any good ideas about not gaining weight? See you Caddie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 125 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: