Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.761 posts in 47.061 threads.

160,836 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Sinea, MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS

Mama is here

18 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Mama, I failed to last Wednesday, bought a pack, smoked two of them and then soaked them in water and through them away. I didn't restart my meter but when I look at it I subtract the two that I smoked. This isn't the first time I screwed up while trying to quit...the first time I know I smoked over two cigarettes while trying to quit and I quit for seven months...God only knows why I picked those buggers back up. Try going to the mall...today I am going with my non-smoking friend and have a pedicure and lunch...yesterday I spent the day in the mall and spent about $400 in clothes that I really can't afford, but it kept my mind off the cigarettes and I had a bunch of hard candy and a bottle of water with me. Then my hubby and I went to dinner with our non-smoking neighbors. My hubby's family all smokes, except his Mom who was diagnosed with COPD and put them down over a year and a half. I don't want to be diagnosed in the future with COPD, she is a good example. Tomorrow morning at 6:30 will be a whole week for me, I FEEL REAL GOOD ABOUT THAT! People say to put your mind on something else, that is hard to do when the craving is sooooo strong. Cry, throw things, scream...whatever helps do it. If your daughter is smoking in the house, tell her NO MORE. Put signs up, if she loves you enough she will remove the urge from you. Hope things look up today for you, get out of the house and go somewhere that is smoke free...movie, shopping mall anything, but stay away from the smoke. Listen to me, the failure from Wednesday. You gave me a reason to feel positive this morning, I woke up craving bad this morning, but I took my shower, put on my new patch and finished a movie that took me three days to watch!! You can do this Mama, I can do this Mama and we all can do this. Darcy
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All I can say is that I am here, and I havn't smoked since I got up. I have not smoked and I put the patch on first thing this morning like I said I would. I am going one minuit at a time. I still hear the cigs in my daughters room calling me (she spent the night out, which was one of my problems, too easy of access without anyone knowing) but maybe because of the patch, they aren't calling quite so loudly. Maybe i can do this with the patch,and I think I will go to the doctor this week and see if I can get an antidepressant for a while or something.I don't know what to think about all this yet. I just know I don't want to end up like my mom with COPD. I am going to go to church with my son today, and that will be kind of different. Then I need to go work out. That is one thing, you see, last week, my son was at summer camp, and I didn't work out much. I didn't keep up the attitude I guess. I cheated on my diet and then I think everything just went to hell in a handbasket as they say. Thank you, Lady for caring at all even when I don't feel like I care anymore. Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$75,035.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6532 Hours: 13

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, I am still here and going strong. The patches have made it much better and I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. I haven't smoked and the cigs in my daughters bedroom only wisper instead of scream now. I am asking for Wellbutrin or zyban at the doctors and maybe that can be working when I have to step down on the patches. That is what I had trouble with before with the patches, and that is why I was going cold turkey this time. I am still here everyday, reading and reading. I havn't posted much because I don't have any crisis feelings right now, but I am here, still studying. Thank you for your help, I think I can make it.... Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 97 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$75,035.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6532 Hours: 13

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for posting Mama ... glad to hear you are doing so much better! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,184 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 16

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Mama, I see that you posted that you go to church. I thought maybe you may like this for a print out. It helps me with my quit and many other things in life. In fact, I've had to go back and revisit this over the last 2 or 3 days ... seems I had forgotten some important ones. Take care of yourself Mama. You have what it takes to beat this addiction. You do. [quote]God, grant me the Serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the Courage to change the one I can, and the Wisdom to know it's me." 1. Faith is the ability to not panic. 2. If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry. 3. As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home every day. 4. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape. 5. When we get tangled up in our problems, be still. God wants us to be still so God can untangle the knot. 6. Do the math. Count your blessings. 7. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. 8. Dear God: I have a problem. It's me. 9. Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted. 10. Laugh every day: it's like inner jogging. 11. The most important things in your home are the people. 12. Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. 13. There is no key to happiness. The door is always open. 14. A grudge is a heavy thing to carry. 15. He who dies with the most toys is still dead. 16. We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments. (Like the saying: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but the number of times your breath is taken). 17. Nothing is real to you until you experience it, otherwise its just hear-say. 18. It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure you flush when you are done. 19. Surviving and living your life successfully requires courage. The great goals and dreams you're seeking require courage and risk taking. Learn from the turtle--it only makes progress when it sticks out its neck. 20. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. 21. Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death.[/quote] I
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 16

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for checking in, glad to hear your doing well. Danielle ______________________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mama, Glad to hear your continuing with your quit. You've gotten some pretty good replies. All I can add is for the next few days stay close to the SSC and make sure you reward yourself for maintaining your quit. Danielle ____________________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 334 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mama. Sorry to hear about your slip. Believe I completely understand where you are coming from. I slipped a few days ago and a very wise women posted this to me: There once was a man. He walked for 90 days. He walked hills and valleys. He crossed oceans and deserts. He helped many people and many people helped him. As he was trudging along, he was collecting stones. He planned on using these stones to build a house. He found alot of stones. He knew exactly how many stones he needed to build his house. After walking for 80 days this man came upon a bridge. Under this bridge there lived an evil troll. The troll did everything he could to make the man fall into the water. The man held on to the railings with all his might and didn't fall in! But the troll did manage to cause the man to slip. When he slipped, he lost a stone. Just one, mind you. It fell in to the water. Lost forever. The man was frantic. He was so upset with himself! How on earth could he build his house without that stone? He just didn't think the other 4074 stones mattered without the one he lost! He started walking again, despondent and alone. For 10 more days, the man walked. Ten days. During that time he considered dropping all the stones, one at a time. But something made the man hold on. Those stones had cost him too much to accumulate. He thought of those first days when the hills were steepest and the oceans widest. He had worked so hard to accomplish this gathering of stones. But still, the loss of that one stone caused him so much despair that he couldn't see the amazing thing he had accomplished! 90 days after the man first set out, he came across a group of his friends. These friends helped him to see many things about his stones. Each stone had it's own value. Each one was important in it's own right. If he had had to pay for these stone, they would have cost him $869...the one he lost was less than 22 cents. That meant he was 99.9876% successful!! Do you know what that man did? He set to work trying to figure out how he could make his house without that one stone! He decided to just leave it out of one of the walls! The absence of that one stone meant the man had a window to see through! Oh, and the things he could se
18 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mama, It so good that you got right back on the horse. Trust me, the longer you wait after a slip, the harder it is. Hugs to you
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mama, I just finished a post on your other thread. But it is so good to see you back. I'm glad that you are going to see your Dr this week. Mama, quitting is hard, but I believe that you can do this. And you're right you don't want to end up with COPD. I just wish there was someway your daughter could keep her cigs out of the house. Surly there is somewhere to put them, where you don't know where they are. Does she still smoke in the house? Like Lady said, her Dad smokes, and she has to live with that. I admire anyone who can live with a smoker and keep their quit. Best wishes to you Mama, and I will be watching your journey grow and grow. Be blessed, Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 162 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,763 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $567 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$230,222.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6404 Hours: 21

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: