Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,138 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Petra23, Mimi34, istruggle4life, schcgtest1, FeelingD0wn

7th Day in Hell

18 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rewards, nicotine and the brain by Shevie was brilliant! what a different perspective that I wasn't thinking about... thanks guys! Tonight I went over some friends house that were smokers, omg as soon as I walked into their house a stench of old cigs went up my nose that I never smelt before, did I smell like that? How sick! I am so proud of myself, they smoked and I stood my ground N.O.P.E. It was hard but I did it, now I think I'll reward myself with a cig haha, nah funk that! :8|: I'm not going down without a fight
  • Quit Meter

$109,365.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4556 Hours: 22

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=24919&forum=1]Rewards, nicotine and the brain by Shevie[/url]
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jonser, Way2go for keeping that promise you made to yourself. You have already passed Hell week. That's a big deal. It's time for a reward! [u]It is vital that new behavior be immediately reinforced almost every time. So, reward your self-control.[/u] It's also okay to 'want' to smoke. That doesn't mean you WILL smoke. It means you are an addict and need to find 'new' ways of coping. Use your subsitutes (tools) and try to distract yourself by staying busy. Refuse to dwell on the junkie thoughts and keep reminding yourself that you are doing this because YOU WANT TO- IT'S YOUR CHOICE. When the smoke craving comes recognize it as 'a sign of healing' and push through it. The longer you go 'without' - the easier it becomes. [u]Time[/u] is what you need to feel better. One day at a time. Time is on [i]our[/i] side. (yes it is) ;) [color=blue]~[font=Arial]all the best[/font][/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 241 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,319 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1205 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiljump, you're nine days into your quit and able to type in complete sentences? That's awesome! :) You're perfectly clear. When the brain is stimulated by anything for long enough, it compensates by shutting down the stimulated parts. This is why you stop feeling a ring on your finger, or smelling a particular odor you're around a lot, or don't notice the frames on your glasses. Remove the stimulation and over time the brain will switch these areas back on. Don't worry, Hiljump. Concentration will return. Jonser, major congrats and slaps on the back for standing your ground. You should reward yourself, though. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 331 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,621 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1257.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where on earth did you hear that, Jonser? Sure, the seventh day is technically the end of hell week, but heaven? Not hardly! Moody, depressed, the world hates you, you hate the world, is it all worth it, junkie thoughts, craves, ad nauseum. Jonser, you are right where you should be and that's a very good thing. Right now you've got all the nicotine out of your system but without it your body and brain chemistries are just totally whacked. Here's a bit of truth for you to hang on to when you've got nothing else to grab: It does get better. [b]WHEN!?!?!?!?[/b] you ask. "Soon" is all I can tell you. If my crystal ball worked, I'd own Bill Gates. :) I'll guess you've got maybe another week, tops, of easing out of this really bad time. Then you'll have your wits about you enough to actually notice things improving. Have you been rewarding yourself, Jonser? If not, you really need to be doing that. Doing things nice for yourself, things that make you happy or feel good, are very important at your stage of the quit. They stimulate the areas of the brain that used to be stimulated by the nicotine. Not as strongly, but a bit. Enough to help the brain begin the healing process. Hang in there, Jonser. I know it doesn't really feel like it right now, but one week quit is truly a fantastic accomplishment. Many never make it this far. Be proud, you're doing great. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 330 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,615 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1254 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36

Reading this thread: