Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

New and excited and scared

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christian, Many people who quit will admit that the reason they never quit before was because of a fear of failure. Why go through withdrawal if it may not work, they wondered? They did not know about the Journey to our Online Quit Program or the wonderful support they could get here. When some people prepare to quit, they consciously try to cut down. One such person wrote to me that in order to be able to do that, she kept her cigarettes outside. For her, smoking had been automatic, and all other attempts to cut down had failed. She wanted to start developing coping methods before the big day came. Another person wrote that he put away his pack, only taking out a certain amount for the morning. He did the same for the afternoon and the same for the evening. This allowed him to discover the time of day when his strongest urges hit. Then he would work on dealing with that time of day. Cutting out a few favorites each day is another way to cut down, such as the ones on the ride home from work, or the first one in the morning. There are other ways of cutting down, and I hope the members will share how they did it. Take Care, Melanie ___________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.I have yet to set a quit date but have already decided to use the 21mg. patch because I have been smoking for so long, 28 years to be exact. I want to quit before the end of this month but need to get an idea of what I will do to get myself through the rough times. I will also pray a lot to help out too as life is such a blessing and I feel like I'm sinning because I'm abusing my body with all the junk in smokes. Well try and decide on a final quit date soon, as the urge to quit is real strong in me right now. I'm fed up with the cost and all the harm it's doing to my body and I'm afraid I may need a little help from some stangers on here to get me to stop permanently. I'm already thinking that it will be tough to type on my computer because I always had many smokes while typing. All suggestions are most welcomed!!! Looking forward to quitting but still a little scared to say good-bye to them forever. Thank-you. Christian Girl
  • Quit Meter

$12,844.16

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 752 Hours: 20

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW, thank you all so much for your replies. I must admit that I was taken back by how many comments I actually recieved. You guys and gals are wonderful. I have been pondering in my mind whether I will use the patch or not. I have two boxes purchased already to go but now after reading on here I see a lot of yous went cold turkey, so I'm thinking of giving cold turkey a try. I have tried to quit in the past many times but I really don't think I was too serious about quitting or I would have stayed quit. I want this to be my final quit. I don't want to quit for another 3 months then start all over again, if you know what I mean. But I have set a date for next Monday, this will give me time to read the 6 steps and do some planning around the house. Also by starting on a Monday, I won't have to deal with the weekend right off the start. My children are going to be a big help to me as they have wanted me to quit ever since they were young and learned about the effects of smoking in school. I have many many plans already set in my mind of what I would like to spend my saved money on and that is really something to look forward to as I pay $7.50 per pack of 25 cigarettes where I live in Ontario Canada, which is just insane!!! and I smoked a pack and a half a day. And to be real honest with you all, I almost joined another smoking site but changed my mind on it because it had a lot of people on it that were offering more than support for quitting smoking if you get my drift. I like how I can be myself on here. I told you all I was a Christian and I never got one negative reply to that like I would have on the other site. I do not push religion but I'm very proud of who I am and speak about it at times. I will keep reading for now, make my final decision on whether I'm using the patch or not and will get on here next Monday letting you all know how everything's going. It will work this time, I have all of you to help and of course my Saviour Jesus to walk with me during this hectic journey. Bless all of yous for replying and getting me on my way. Christian Girl
  • Quit Meter

$12,844.16

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 752 Hours: 20

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Christian Gril, Congratulations on your decision to quit. You can do it. This site can help. Put your quit date close enough that you'll do it and far enough out that you can have your plan ready. Follow the program tools to the left. Dont beat yourself up about the sinning part. Your a good person (im hoping) with a bad habbit.. Thats all, nothing more..And Im sure your faith will go a long way to help in your success.. fight the good fight. sfr [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 222 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $53.79 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Christian Girl! It seems you have already done some steps in the right direction! You came here and decided on a NRT. Thats 2 steps in your quit already! I do strongly suggest you use the tools to the left. It is very important to have a plan and information. I believe there are 3 parts to a quit: knowledge, planning, and determination. With all 3 of these, you will suceed. The tools on the left will help you decide what to do when you have a craving. I too smoked while on the computer, in my garage. So, now I dont use that computer. Simple. What might help you is if you smoke inside your home, give your computer area a deep cleaning. Clean desk, wipe cd's, etc... Get some Fabreeze and spray away. Vow from now on that you will not smoke while on the computer. It will help you when you do quit. Enjoy that clean spot, and start re-training yourself that the computer is a non-smoking area. NO EXCEPTIONS. We wish you all the best. Please post and read a lot. It really does help! Stay strong and focused. When you quit, just take one hour (or minute) at a time. We are here for you! **** 4my2girls **** ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 292 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45.78 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dear One, Bubba, and everyone else said it all. Be gentle with yourself, though... It's been my experience that being loving and gentle w/self is a huge part of what has supported my Quit. Own your Quit and protect it w/everything in you... You can do this - we are all doing this and there is incredible support here... Blessings- Healer PS: I do all of my work on my computer, which is when I smoked the most. Just focus and tell yourself that you are no longer a smoker... that's what I do each day... Just say N.O.P.E. when the junkie talk starts: Not One Puff Ever ((again)) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 513 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
18 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on your great decision on quitting.It is the best thing you can ever do as I have almost reached the 3 week mark on 21mg patches.They are brilliant for me and I hope they are for you to.If the urge to quit is that strong you will suceed .Listen to your inner self and I hope your date is soon.There is always great support on here to help you through the rough times.I smoked badly when I used the computer but try sugar free gum,I chew like mad on it all the time but I found that it works.Don't be afraid of quitting .You can have a nice treat once a week on the money you save,or save up for something special,it is amazing at how quickly the money mounts up.I wish you all the luck with your quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 466 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Christian girl, I too am on the patch and was and still scared witht the quit. In spite of all the good reasons I know for quitting there is a small part of me that is scared of the quit and never having them again. But there are alot more reasons to quit. This site is a big big help. Reading the posts and posting yourself. I feel that has helped me the most. Whatever I felt that day or was thinking I just would type and that was a great help. and the response and the encouragement you get on here. You cant beat that kind of help. You must try and keep yourself busy and just keep reminding yourself you must quit before they make you quit. I always pic myself living with an oygen tank and that also helped me. It is a fight but as we see on here everyday, it is one that can be beat. Good luck to you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 549 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Christian Girl, Welcome aboard! It really is a great accomplishment just to decide that you are going to quit. Like the others have said...do take just enough time to prepare yourself but don't wait to long, it's never too soon to begin your quit. You have definatly come to the right place for support. I will keep you and your quit in my prayers. Sheila ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,308 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $215 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Christian, congratulations on your decision to quit because that in itself is quite an achievement. In fact I have found it harder to decide to quit (I smoked for 35 years)than to actually quit. I am not saying it is easy, it takes determination and a total focus on staying that way. Good luck for the day you decide to start your quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 498 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �102.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49

Reading this thread: