Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,534 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Having second thoughts

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Momof1girl, Many people who quit will admit that the reason they never quit before was because of a fear of failure. Why go through withdrawal if it may not work, they wondered? They did not know about the Journey to our Online Quit Program or the wonderful support they could get here. When some people prepare to quit, they consciously try to cut down. One such person wrote to me that in order to be able to do that, she kept her cigarettes outside. For her, smoking had been automatic, and all other attempts to cut down had failed. She wanted to start developing coping methods before the big day came. Another person wrote that he put away his pack, only taking out a certain amount for the morning. He did the same for the afternoon and the same for the evening. This allowed him to discover the time of day when his strongest urges hit. Then he would work on dealing with that time of day. Cutting out a few favorites each day is another way to cut down, such as the ones on the ride home from work, or the first one in the morning. There are other ways of cutting down, and I hope the members will share how they did it. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denzil, Welcome back. We are very happy to have you here. This time make sure you are well prepared and focused on your quit. Remember, we are always here for you. Take Care, Melanie _________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is going to sound really stupid but I have to get it out or I will keep telling myself that it won't work so I won't even try. I made up my mind to quit on April 1st, I have to have time to prepare myself mentally for it and those around me too, for many reasons including being most important, I don't want to die at a young age from a disease that is preventable. I want to quit for my daughter, it breaks my heart to know that she has a mother that smokes and has to deal with that. She is old enough to know that smoking is bad for you and you shouldn't do it. Here's the problem......My husband, daughter, and I are living in my parents house. They were stationed out of state and needed someone to occupy the house while they were gone. They will be back in May and our house (we are having one built) won't be done until June or July so we will be living with them until it is finished. They don't know I smoke, I am sure they have an idea since I always smell like it and my car does too but my husband smokes so I am sure they have just put it off that its all because of him. Heres the real concern.....am I just setting myself up to fail since it will be a stressful time with building the house and living with my parents or do I take the bull by the horns and just suck it up and try since I really won't be able to smoke at home anyway. I am also afraid of having the personality changes that come with quiting around my parents. Any help from anyone would be a GREAT help. Sorry if this really doesn't make sense but I HAD to get it out. Thanks everyone.
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the words of encouragement. I have been telling myself all these things but I guess I just needed some reinforcement from others. THANKS AGAIN.
ChickenStix, Thanks SO much for the encouraging words. I am sure I will be posting ALL the time. Congratulations to your hubby for his quit. Mine could learn a LOT from him LOL. I wish you both the best, I now you will do GREAT!!!
Hey everyone, I am proud to report that I haven't smoked a single cig since 3/16/06 @ 2:00, so I guess my official quit date was yesterday 3/17/06. I think today is going to be harder than yesterday but I feel strong. I WILL make it through. I keep counting the hours that I haven't smoked and that really helps me through. Thanks to everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I know without all of you standing behind me I wouldn't be smoke free today. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
I am so glad that the quit is working out well for you and your husband. I won't be using any NRT's, I wasn't ever a really heavy smoker, half a pack a day or so. I think going Cold Turkey is the best thing for me regardless of him smoking or not. He doesn't smoke in the house and has been trying VERY hard to be discreat when he goes outside since he knows I am trying to cut back. He also promised he wouldn't smoke in the car with me which I really appreciate. I will have to make him keep his cigs out in his car or something so they won't be accessible for me. I really don't have any desire to smoke anymore. Its a disgusting, nasty addiction that I am ready to fight with all my might. Keep me updated on your progress, as well as your husbands. I wish you both the best!!! PS I am sure you will be hearing A LOT from me in the next couple of weeks.
4my2girls, Thanks SOOO much for you input. It is SO nice knowing someone else knows what I am going through. If my parents ever found out that I ever smoked they would be HEARTBROKEN. My grandpa (dad's dad) died of emphysema and my uncle (mom's brother) died from lung and liver cancer. I have thought about the whole not being able to share with my parents since this will be a huge turning point in my life and that hurts, but I have to keep the peace. My official quit date is April 1st even though I haven't had a cig since yesterday 3/16/06 at 2:00pm. That should give me a good 30 days to be "clean" I wish my hubby would quit with me but I think once I quit he will come around and quit too. Also I don't know how it would work if we both quit at the same time. Tempers would rage I am sure. He is being supportive though. I think deep down he wants me to quit so he will have the strength to do it too. You are absolutely right.....I am quitting for myself, my daughter is just an inspritation. It breaks my heart to hear her say "Mommy smoking is bad for you, it can kill you." It really makes me think "What the $%*& am I doing??" Thanks again for your encouraging words. Knowing there is someone else out there in pretty much the situation REALLY helps. One more question for you.....Did you quit cold turkey or are you using NRT?? Momof1girl
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I found out the other day that my parents are going to be back on April 15th instead of May 1st, and that they won't be living my me (which is a good thing). It made me rethink my quit since they won't be there every waking moment watching over me but I came to my senses and reminded myself that I am not quitting for them, but for myself and my health. I am now really greatful that I quit when I did instead of waiting until my original quit date of 4/1/06. Hopefully I will be over the worst of the withdrawl symptoms and be more myself. I haven't really had any horrible side effects of quitting, I did cry most of Saturday. I prepared myself for the first few days to be UNBEARABLE, and as it turned out they weren't as bad as I thought they would be, not pleasent but not horrible either. What I find the hardest is being at work. I used to smoke to socialize but since I don't my "smoke buddies" don't really talk to me anymore, and when they do its "hos the quitting going" I guess they are waiting for me to cave in which I hope to god never happens. I really do miss being able to smoke and talk about life in general, most of my friends are smokers, so I really don't have anyone left to vent to. I guess thats just the price you pay to quit smoking. Sorry this is SOO long, but I wanted to give everyone the update. Keep up the GREAT work everyone. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 67 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No time is a good time to quit. I was the king of excuses to put it off, so don't think I'm being "preachy" here. Since no time is good, any time is also as good as any other to quit. Just do it and stop trying to put it off; believe me, you'll just have another excuse in 2 months. It's called addiction. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,022 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57

Reading this thread: