Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.764 posts in 47.064 threads.

161,040 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jujub1, mariebel, SWK679Learning, Number777, cbtelearning

An Ultimatum

18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TheNeek, I've been following your story, and I feel, just like everyone else has already said, that you MUST want to quit. So what's going to get you to want it? A trip to the hospital to take a look at all of the people dying of cancer, emphysema, or some other smoke-related illness? How about losing your girlfriend because you love your cigarettes more than you do her. How about having friends, or even perfect strangers, stand far away from you because you reek like smoke! What's it going to take??? Figure that out before it's too late. You're young and have an opportunity to live a healthy, smoke-free life. That is an opportunity that many here, and out in the real world, don't have. So why waste it? The fact is that you are giving your life over to a plant wrapped in paper. Sad, huh? We all did it for years, despite our better judgement, but we have all taken a stand against this demon that has controlled our lives for so long. Join us in that. But do it for you. Embrace all of the wonderful effects of quitting! You can breathe better, you don't stink, you have more money, etc... I know that you know them all. But instead of focusing on the plant that you are missing, focus on all of the wonderful things that are happening to your body now that you have quit smoking!!! Join us, TheNeek... embrace your quit. Then, you will experience this freedom that everyone here keeps talking about. And let me tell you, it's great! Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/butterfly3.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,238 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $425.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
TheNeek, We are all human here... we are all fallable. As such, sometimes we make mistakes. You are right that what worked for us may not work for you and you may be beating the odds by not wanting to quit for yourself. Great! We all have our opinions here; we have our own experiences; and we have knowledge that we've obtained while quitting, and that's all we've got. If what didn't work for us works for you, great! As long as you quit, then it doesn't matter. But you were saying that you're having a hard time, and I think what each of us is saying is that you may be having a hard time because you don't WANT to quit. Can you see how that might be a possibility? Personally, I don't think that you can't or won't quit. In fact, I most certainly think that you will do it. I think you have the determination to see this through to the end, no matter what anyone else says. So like Lady said, take what you want and leave the rest. I personally, did not mean to offend you. I am sorry if I did. We ARE supportive here and we all believe that you CAN do it because each one of us thought that we couldn't do it and proved ourselves wrong. I know that if I can quit, anyone can. Quit for whatever reason you have... as long as you do it and see it through to the end, it doesn't matter why you did in the first place. The end result is all that matters. You are quit! That's what counts. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/butterfly3.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,239 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $425.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
TheNeek, I've been following your story, and I feel, just like everyone else has already said, that you MUST want to quit. So what's going to get you to want it? A trip to the hospital to take a look at all of the people dying of cancer, emphysema, or some other smoke-related illness? How about losing your girlfriend because you love your cigarettes more than you do her. How about having friends, or even perfect strangers, stand far away from you because you reek like smoke! What's it going to take??? Figure that out before it's too late. You're young and have an opportunity to live a healthy, smoke-free life. That is an opportunity that many here, and out in the real world, don't have. So why waste it? The fact is that you are giving your life over to a plant wrapped in paper. Sad, huh? We all did it for years, despite our better judgement, but we have all taken a stand against this demon that has controlled our lives for so long. Join us in that. But do it for you. Embrace all of the wonderful effects of quitting! You can breathe better, you don't stink, you have more money, etc... I know that you know them all. But instead of focusing on the plant that you are missing, focus on all of the wonderful things that are happening to your body now that you have quit smoking!!! Join us, TheNeek... embrace your quit. Then, you will experience this freedom that everyone here keeps talking about. And let me tell you, it's great! Crave the Quit! Butterfly Emphysema [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,238 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $425.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TheNeek, If you really don't want to quit, you may end up resenting your girlfriend that you "quit for her". Think about it. Who likes to be pressured into doing something? Even if that something results in a healthier life. You are still very much mentally addicted. Until you can realize your addiction and make a conscious decision to quit, inside you will always be a smoker. This could lead to some issues later on. Is your girlfriend a "closet" or "social" smoker? If so, then she is just a smoker. Just like you. I'm a bit lost there. In any event, both of you need to address this issue in an open and honest way. Don't start playing games now or that will continue to set the tone for your relationship. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 295 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,386 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $722.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$36,442.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9797 Hours: 19

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Neek. Glad to see your still having at it. That's at least promising. "[i]It's it funny that we can open up to complete strangers more than I can to my mother about smoking?[/i]" Not really. Your mother, girlfriend, coworkers, etc. will always be around you. We won't. You can walk away from us and if we meet on the street we'll never know it. There's great power and security in anonymity. Golferman is so right about the possibility that you'll end up resenting your girlfriend if you quit for her. You are addicted to the drug nicotine and it has a strong hold on you. It always will. Until you want to quit for your own benefit you will not have the deep-down resources it takes to deny this addiction. Sorry, but I don't believe "love conquers all" and this situation is a shining example of why. You need to find reasons to quit for yourself. Do you want to die a slow, lingering, painful (pain morphine can't stop) death? Do you want your girlfriend/wife/family to watch you shrivel from cancer? It may never happen to you, but in my opinion smoking is like playing Russian Roulette with two cylinders loaded. Think about that each time you light up; imagine playing that game. Lighting the cig is pulling the trigger. How lucky do you feel? If you choose wrong, there's no do-over. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 287 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,749 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1090.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You really do need to quit for YOU. My husband nagged me for 34 years and I tried so many times I lost count. This time I quit for me, and it worked!! Read and post here all you can theres some great support here. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 319 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,389 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2392.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek, Thank you for sharing! It is going to be tough for a little while longer. You need to distract yourself and plan a reward with the money you are saving. Stop thinking and start doing! Have your mechanism ready and yes do it for yourself. If you concentrate on this it will fall into place. Stops thinking that you still want to and start psyching yourself on how bad it is for you. Do you really want your girlfriend to start up knowing that it is harmful to her health as well as yours? Let us help you and please take it day by day! Keep Strong, Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: