Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Cold Turkey works for me

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Inspiration!! To be absolutely smoke free, and without all of the extra stuff in the NRT I am glad that I have gone cold turkey and that there are so many others of you out there who have done the same. Thanks all for sharing and thanks all for keeping the faith and being quit! Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 51 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi H, My boyfriend and I just quit cold turkey too. We figured that there was no easy way and we both are determined to quit so why not just have it all out of your system at once, you know? I tried to quit on Zyban and nicotine gum and that didn't work for me at all. That nicotine replacement stuff made me crazy because I still had nicotine in my system, I relapsed after a day. I feel proud of myself too for going cold turkey...it is really intense, but it makes me feel alive and strong. The main problem I have is eating too much at meals, but I have worked out like three times a day since quitting, so that has helped with the cravings and self esteem. Well, good luck, I agree with you entirely...the pain will make you stronger...love the pain! -RissaRoo
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey H. I'm with you. I tried the patch before (had to quit it because I broke out all over)and even if I could still use it.. I wouldn't. The cravings are still there with the patch and when you completely eliminate the patch you still have the same 3 day withdrawal to go through. I personally didn't see the difference with or without it. I know people handle things differently. Whatever works is your answer, I guess. It went cold turkey 8 days ago and have very few cravings now. I don't know why but, I am not asking, just being grateful. Chris [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 217 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 68 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, I quit Jan 31/06 cold turkey. I have never felt better. I quit smoking approximately 12 times a year. That right I quit with the patch, the gum, the inhaler. I would go one, two maybe even four days, then I would start again for another month or so and go at it again and quit. This time I decided to try cold turkey. I get cravings but I have been able to suck on candy instead of nic. gum. I haven't been as edgy. I think for me it's the best way. I am cleaning out my system completely. No more toxins. I feel pretty good most of the time. I feel proud and I am always giving myself a pat on the back. This is my quit story so far... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 152 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with you too H. This is the first time I have gone cold turkey and it's the best I've felt. Just knowing that the nicotine is gone feels so good. No more stress about how I'm gonna deal without the patch, the gum, etc... Congrats on mounting a great quit...keep it up! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 144 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am also a cold turkey quitter. I'd heard that the nicotine is out of your system after 72 hours - and I wouldn't want it to be there longer. I'd also read in Allen Carr's book that the physical withdrawal symptoms are actually really really mild, and that's how I experienced them. I experienced mild discomfort for 3-4 days, especially on the chest, around my throat, and that was it for the physical withdrawal. I had been really afraid of quitting because in the past I would do this: I'd say I quit, destroy my cigarettes - including all the butts in ashtrays, go absolutely nuts and within half an hour I'd have bought a new pack! This time I gave myself nearly a month to prepare, so that I could convince myself that I can succeed this time. I read all that I could get my hands on. From what I read, I figured that it need not be too hard or too painful to quit smoking. I convinced myself that quitting smoking wouldn't mean suffering. It is certainly challenging, but unbearably painful - no. But the main thing is quitting, no matter what method you use, and staying quit! Keep up the great work everybody!
18 years ago 0 228 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am cold turkey too!!! I didn't want to prolong the nic in my system and I figured if I am gonna go through hell I would rather get it over and done with in 3 days.. But iike Lady said it doesn't matter how you get here as long as you quit.. :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,218 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $260 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
H, You're right I think CT is the best � it�s what I did, and having tried NRT, - I wouldn't compare the two. I think that NRT is good for some people but eventually you have to finally quit and then you have to deal with the withdrawal symptoms anyway. I think that the figures actually favour CT than NRT but there is alot of debate about that one and I�ll not go into it here.. NRT is good for people who are strongly behaviourally linked � in it gives nicotine without the cigarette in hand. Personally I wouldn�t touch it with a barge pole and wouldn�t advise anyone to try it. Well done with your quit Peter [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 503 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $231 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I done the 'cold turkey' also. But honestly just 'wanting to stop' is the reason i've succeeded this time. The mind is a very powerfull thing ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 405 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2632.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$12,506.22

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 15

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations H. You are off to a great start. I'm a cold turkey quitter too. Never could grasp the concept of putting nicotine into my system through any other method than smoking. But I know that several quitters have been successful with the patch and gum and other aids. I figure whatever works for you. All that matters is that we don't smoke. Keep the possitive attitude. It will carry you a long way. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 223 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,470 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $780.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47

Reading this thread: