Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,677 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

first hours

18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello, this is my first day,or should i say my first couple hours of quitting. what can i do in these first hours to guarantee or to help this be my first full day smoke free. i dont want this to be like the other times. i dont wanna give in to the cravings (they are already haunting me). any advice?
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, this is also my first day so perhaps we can be soul mates and help each other? I am in the UK so have lasted a good bit of the day already (it is 4pm here). I am lucky to work in a non smoking office which helps although still finding it difficult not to pop outside and but some cigs. I am trying to get my head stuck into work (not very successfully!) to take my mind off it also I am finding this site a help. Tonight will be tough but am planning going to the gym every night for a while as obviously I cannot smoke there, even if I only go into the sauna and jaccussi. Good luck, it takes a lot of guts to get where we are i.e. to even start. I think that the best thing is to try and concentrate on the positives i.e. feeling and smelling better eventually. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Free and Oink =) Glad to meet you! It's been almost 72 hours for me now and this site really helps for sure... Keep up the good work! Amy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey free !! Welcome ! I started quitting 5 days ago. I can tell you that the first 2 days are the hardest. Get some lowfat cany or munchies and snack you way through the 3 day detox.. pop a lemonhead .. go ahead.. (don't worry.. you won't ge hooked on lemonheads or redhots.. you will burn out like always..) Get a few kinds.. variety will help. Sit down ad make a list.. of the reasons you want to quit. I know it sounds corny or boring.. but it is important to be able to look at that list as you go about quitting. also write down what NEW things you will be doing becuse you don't smoke... like spending years at the mall because you don't have to escape to smoke... or getting on an airpane.. hey no problem anymore.. Playing tennis again.. or taking it up !! Avoid places that you used to smoke in.. Clean out your car.. make it smell great.. put some poppouri in the ashtray.. love it clean.. Be positive.. and don't let your inner addict talk you into anything.. just responde with.. "no.. I won't! So bug off.. " cuss if you want.. hehehe.. HANG TUFF !! Chris [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 146 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi free.... welcome to the group! The best advice that I can give you is the same as others here.. keep yourself busy. Catch up with the housework (erm, just don't look around at my place at the moment... it's gone back downhill in the last 3 weeks since I quit!), go to the gym, do some DIY... anything which will keep you busy, and which do not have associations with smoking (have lots of sex with your partner, if that works... well that's the excuse I would have used if I'd not been 400 miles away from mine when I gave up!) ... busy, BUSY, B U S Y!!! Secondly, keep coming here... when you have temptations you don't give in to, let us know... when you feel really proud of yourself, let us know... when you feel cravings and just want to yell at someone... let us know! We know what you are going through... some of us went through it this week, some of us in the last month, some of us in the last year, some of us longer still... it's a [bleep] at times... but you *will* beat it! Steve [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �46.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Free, nice to meet you. The one thing that kept me sane in that first week was keeping busy, busy, busy. I cleaned, organized and painted. When I wasn't doing those things I was eating. lol. So like Lady said stock up on low-cal foods for those cravings. [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/chew.gif[/IMG] Keep Strong. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $298.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
free...I love your name because that is what you are going to be. Welcome to the SSC and Congratulations on your decision to quit. Check out the porgram tools to your left. They will really help you. Make sure you have plent of ice water, gum, mints, candy, or anything else that you decide to use as coping items. Also takes a lot of deep breaths. I think the deep breathes help more than anything. I was scared too when I first quit so I know exactly what you mean. I counted the hours and every time I thought of giving it up I just reminded myself of how many hours I had already made it through. Self talk. You'll need lots of it during your quit. :) I made it through 2 hours....I can do one more; I made it through 3 hours...I can do one more... and so on and so on. That is what worked for me. Post if you need us. That's why we are here. Quitting is really hard but it won't kill you and it is so worth it. You are going to love being a quitter! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 220 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $770 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 104 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome free to the best online support group there is. This is the place to be when you feel as though you can't possibly make it one more minute without a smoke. Come here and type type type. Relaying your feelings here does help tremendously. There are such awesome people sharing your day-day struggle..helping. I have also found that walking a few times a day really helped me. I listen to my music and feel my breathing getting better daily. Keep posting and really listen to others...we can all learn from each others' experiences. Sally [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 132 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $23.94 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, free. Congratulations on your quit and welcome to the SSC. If you haven't done so already, I strongly suggest you work the Online Quit Program here. There's a lot of information and tips on making a successful quit. Try looking ahead a minute, or two, as you go through your day. Watch for times you would have lit up, like leaving a store or getting into your car. When you see one coming, assume it will trigger a crave and be ready for it. I've found that anticipated craves always tend to be weak, if they happen at all. Also, take a straw that's about the diameter of a cig and cut it to about the length of a cig. Fold and crimp (bite) the "fire" end until it feels like taking a drag on a cig when you suck on it. Makes a great prosthetic and you can "smoke" anywhere. This is a grand step you've taken for life, free. Stay close, post often, let us know how you're doing and how we can help. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 259 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $984.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Free, and free you will be! Remember that each craving only lasts about 3 minutes...time them if you don't believe me. As Lady said, work on the program tools -- they will occupy you. Whenever you get a strong crave, distract yourself by going for a walk or taking a shower. Delay by saying that you aren't going to smoke for the next hour. Keep doing that and you'll get through a day, and then 2 days and then 3 and on and on. Good luck! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 420 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,773 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1470 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 57 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$55,036.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 22

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: