Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

I am an addict

18 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Cincere - our brain's are truly amazing. My dad used to smoke 4 (yes 4!!!) packs a day and was told to quit or die. So he quit. Then 12 years later he picked it up again for no particular reason and he was back up to 3 packs a day within a month. I've smoked since 16 (in fact all my brothers and sisters smoke - perhaps we were addicted by growing up in the "fog"). Have given up twice - once for about 18 months, another time for over 2 years. Each time I went back it was the same thought (I can have one, no problem). Each time it was ... you guessed it, a problem - LOL! So do we learn something or do we simply keep on doing the same stuff over and over (how depressing is that?). I hope you can beat your demons - I certainly mean to and this time there's no "hope" about it. It's like Yoda says "There is no may, there is either do or don't do" [paraphrase]. Live by Yoda's rules even though he is a bit irritatingly smug ... Good luck, may the force be with you (sorry!)
18 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I just joined this group and so far it has really seemed to help me mentally. Cincere is so right when she says the nicodemon never leaves..I started smoking at 12 years old, stopped at 19 yo. Quit for 20 years...and started back up after my divorce..Yeh I know stupid, stupid...me. Then I quit again after a year of smoking. Then once again started up after another year went by...so please, please tell yourself...it never ends...(the cravings) they just seem to go into a dark corner waiting to pop out at the right opportunity..It seems every time I try to quit it gets harder and harder...this time really has me in a state of depression, and constant urges...Thanks for listening.. :)
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to all your replies. The support here really provides a mental boost to keep on keepin on... Don't despair.. just because I began again after 4 years doesn't mean that nicodemon doesn't loosen his grip. he does. I enjoyed years of smokefree living and the idea of becoming a smoker again was not an option....but then...I got tooo comfortable with being quit. I forgot how strong nicodemon is. I had a few beer and thought one puff? ....I can handle it...WE can't. I won't let myself forget that this time around and god willing.. I will never have to quit again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 656 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I need help. there...I said it!! I am afraid that smoking is only a symptom. I am an addit. I mean over my lifetime I've suffered from drug addiction and bulimia as well. I ve learned alot over the years ( about addiction) and I have overcome many demons. I am coping with keeping my addictions at bay while raising six children,(Three of them are stepchildren). I realize that since smoking is my last drug of choice,i am at a very high risk of substituting it with something else. I quit 5 years ago and enjoyed smokefree living for 4 years. That goes to show you ....be careful... nicodemon never leaves... he just waits for a weak moment. He's strong and he's crafty..remember NOT ONE PUFF or he might get you. In a few quick months I was again smoking 25 cigs a day. I am pleased to say that I have 22 smoke free days this time around and I do not ever what to go through this again.I think that I will make it this time...gotta stay positive. How am I coping? I eat, I use my new treadmill twice a day, I eat, I houseclean, I eat a carrot,I play srabble online, I eat and I visit this support group. Have I got a handle on my addictions? Not yet. Will I keep fighting for my life? You bet. P.S. NOT ONE PUFF EVER... O.K. not today anyway. It does get better. Don,t give up before the miracle happens! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 619 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is scary, how do you start back after 4 years? With 6 Kids how can you afford not to stop? what would they do without you around? I only have one and the thought of not being her for her is scary. Good luck hope this is your last quit. :) M.Robinson [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 516 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $87.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Cincere. 24 days is great. Look how strong you are to fight all your addictions. You can do this too. Your kids must be so proud. This site will help you tremendously. I never would have thought I would be doing so well. We are all in this together. Keep Close, Keep Strong. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 670 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $224.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We are all addicts, and will remain so for ever....it's just that we don't smoke! Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 368 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �260 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brentw1 said it right; we are all addicts, we just don't smoke; keep it up; I just said to my friend today; there is nothing to replace it; food just doesn't do it. I will learn how to cope with life without cigarettes. SHadow [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 857 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $212.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
18 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cincere...just read you're post...4 yrs quit, I only made it 10 weeks. Good that you're back and 27 days is great. I'm back and the first week or so I remember is really bad and I have that to look foward to. Seems like every waking minute I had a cig in my hand. Gotta keep busy. I'm using the patch which helps alot but it's a bad hand habbit.....with all you've been through, I should be able to do this. Hang in there girl.........
18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cincere...you have learned a hard lesson....the addiction will be with you always. You are off to a good start once again. Do not forget what you have learned....you know quitting is doable and this time you will develope the skills to KEEP you there congratulations....hang right in here and keep kickin butt Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1486 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 59,462 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8173 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 193 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$158,956.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5343 Hours: 3

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: