Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

please help me help me

18 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Paula, Guess what, I quit just yesterday and its been 24hours.I was like you playing with the thought of quitting, I have tried God only knows how many times... but yesterday when my son started to cough and wouldnt stop, I called in the doctor who said he may have Ashtama. This has changed my world, I quit, QUIT without a second thought. Yes I have the symptoms... but then I love my son more than anything in the world You know what I woke up this morning and .... hummm the FRESH air that I can breath in... there is nothing like this ... so you hang in there. Dreamer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paula, I agree that you should read Allan Carr's book The easy way to stop smoking. You may not think all of the book is wonderful, but some of what he says does really help get your mind in the right place. I did'nt quit till a month or two after reading it, but it got me prepared. Your mind has to be in the right place for this to work. All the other times I quit my mind just was'nt in it. I am also using the patch which is working really well for me. So get a plan. Don't be so hard on yourself. It does'nt have to be today. Read the book. Get yourself mentally prepared and you will be successful. Once you start, do what so many are doing and just tell yourself you are never going to smoke again because then you will have to start all over again (and you know eventually that is what will happen if you start to smoke again) You can control what you do. We were not born smoking. We lived without doing it for years before we started. Good Luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 168 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $32 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paula we're all behind you 100% I would not be on my 6th day if it wasn't for people in here I know you can do it :) Gazza [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 104 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �20.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
18 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there Paula, and you will succeed. I'm with ladybug. I hated the fact that cigarettes were controlling me. This was my greatest motivation for quitting. Stay with it, and we will all stay with you [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 510 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $127.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
18 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paula, you have to believe. I too was scared, angry, apprehensive, depressed, and a thousand other emotions floating around when I was considering quitting and finally setting my quit date. My quit has been relatively smooth for the first week and may change for the negative for the second week. But I have faith that I can do this because I did alot of mental preparation before considering and setting my quit date - this site, phone counseling with American Cancer Society, spiritual evalutation, personal goals, etc. This is my first quit attempt after 25 years of smoking and I am well pleased with my results so far. Let us hear how you are doing!
18 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Paula ~ I read this and felt your desperation to escape this terrible demon we rely on. Okay, first thing, you ARE NOT a failure, you were just practicing for your good quit. It's not an easy battle, not an easy one by far. I've found coming on here has been a great support for me, it's helped me in the toughest times. Please please please, don't beat yourself up. You need strength and willpower now, and you'll find the support you need here as well. Keep up the good work. Kleo ~
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes it is the one you DON'T plan for that works out to be the best. I know what you mean I was so sick of smoking when I stopped.Come here often it helps! Best wished to you and good luck. M.Robinson :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 330 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You said: [quote] I'm getting ready for bed and I had to get rid of the cigs. i didn't want to have to wake up tommorrow and smoke. I don't have a plan of any sort. I don't have coping techniques. I don't have nrt. I don't even have strong enthusiasm. I'm just plain tired. [/quote] Why are you tired? Tired of what? Smoking, living with being a smoker, planning your life around smoking, all of the above? You really need to try to plan this out. We can and will help you as much as we can, but unfortunately we can't reach thru the Internet to slap you on the hand if you reach for a smoke, or try to purchase some, or light one up. The "nicodemon" as he is fondly called around here is realizing you are pretty damn serious about quitting, and is trying to mess with your head - especially when you said: [quote] but the more I was planning to quit, the more I held on to my "precious" cigs. [/quote] He is afraid you will quit for real. Make it real. Realize WHY you are tired, WHY you are thinking of quitting right now. You may think you DON'T want to quit because of the symptoms you are having, but in fact, the first step to quitting is THINKING about it. Use the tools here, set a date, (if you want today, all the better!) and use this group for support. YOU CAN DO THIS. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 427 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
18 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't give up. There is no best way to quit. Quitting is the easy part. It is staying quit that is hard. There is no way we can atone for our years of smoking but we CAN stop whenever we choose. I hope you choose to be a non-smoker one minute at a time for the rest of your life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/3/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 958 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $235 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paula....please speak to us....tell us how you are? You may not have stopped yet but there was desparation in your post. Maybe we can help you work out a plan.....or maybe we can congratulate you on a few days quit. Whatever.....just speak to us. Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 293 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �205 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33

Reading this thread: