Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,626 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

Old Newbie

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bypass, Welcome to the site, and congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. Stand tall and be proud! Stay close to the site within the next couple of weeks. We're all here for you. Melanie ___________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greetings, I had my last puff last night at 9:00. My cardiologist gave me the 'long-face' yesterday morning, so I can't gamble with death any longer. I have smoked for nearly forty years, quit for up to a month three or four times, then for 10months in 2000.. (but I cheated by having a quad-bypass)I felt so bad for those ten months that I didn't want to smoke. My wife of 35 years is a smoker, but is very considerate, and does smoke outside. My previous downfall was the immediate availability of the smokes, and the belief that 'one puff won't hurt anything...' This time I have to quit, or die. I've never tried anything like this before. I did supplemental drugs once, but couldn't tell that it helped.. Sorry for the long-wind.. just finished eating and am having some lousy feelings right now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
18 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. The workday is nearly gone for me and I am a bit leary of this weekend, but will stand with my resolve to get through it. Actually, my health issues are part of the problem with quitting in that I feel perfectly fine! I always did... through the 6 stints, then 4 more, the only time I felt I needed any medical help was prior to the bypass. Really a strange disease. Smoking does not cause heart disease, but the nicotine causes the vessels to contract thus restricting an already plaque-restricted passage for the blood. But I digress. I'll let you all know how things went on Monday. thanks again for the support, it helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 42 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I have smoked for 52 years, and am into my 12th day of quitting. You have done a very courageous thing in quitting. I have often wondered if the only way I would stop would be if I was given a dath sentance. But you have accepted the challange, and am now on the road to better health and a happier life. I appreciate the availability of cigarettes would be hard. Don't know how I would cope with this one. Although I am new myself, I have found this to be a very helpful and encourageing site. Stay strong. Along with all those struggling like myself, you are in my thoughts. Good luck. author1 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 385 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 67 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi bypass, welcome aboard. All I can say is what several other people have said. Stay close to here and post and post and post. It helps Mo :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 93 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
18 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to meet you Bypass. I am sorry about the health issues, but you are in the right place to do something very good for yourself. There are so many health benefits from quiting. You've got some practice in you, so now it's time for the final quit. Envision yourself as a non-smoker. Take a deep breath and realize that every breath you take from this point forward that you are getting healthier...go ahead...take a BIG DEEP BREATH RIGHT NOW. Feels good doesn't it!
18 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to meet you Bypass. I am sorry about the health issues, but you are in the right place to do something very good for yourself. There are so many health benefits from quiting. You've got some practice in you, so now it's time for the final quit. Envision yourself as a non-smoker. Take a deep breath and realize that every breath you take from this point forward that you are getting healthier...go ahead...take a BIG DEEP BREATH RIGHT NOW. Feels good doesn't it!
18 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about your health issues... Good that you have decided to Give up the death sticks! Post on here often... it helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 185 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
18 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you!! You made a very good decision. I know i have the worst cravings after i eat, but just try to keep in mind that it will pass. I've been chewing alot of gum and when i do get the thought in my head to have another cig i just think of the crap that i was coughing up out of my lungs every morning and i change my mind. Just remember that the're just pieces of tobacco wrapped in paper, you can beat them!!
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Bypass, look forward to seeing your quit meter on Monday! Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 258 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: