Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Electronic Cigarettes

9 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hated the patch a friend suggested this Ecig called Juicyejuice and wow am I surprised by how good it worked, It was weird at first and I felt it woud never over take my desire for the real thing but I can happily say that this e ciig has saved my health and my sanity
9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with breather. imho the easiest way to quit and the only way for me was by going cold turkey. I'll be 40 in two months. I started smoking at 16 and have chain smoked since I was 19. After day 15 I have had no serious cravings. Prior to quitting the only time I wasn't smoking was when I was sleeping. I hope I never go back, but I would never have made it so far if I were on any form of NRT. Thank God I know have no more desire to smoke. One of these days I will drop a few lines about myself in the introduction forum. John
10 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Breather, you always have a way of saying exactly what I need to hear. 
10 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
snice , I don't think that you're the only one that's anxious or apprehensive when it comes to leaving the nicotine behind. I've found that around the six week to two month time period is one of the hardest times to get through smoke free so it's no wonder that you have a hard time. I've used the patch and nic gum before and you guessed it ! I was smoking again at around six weeks. This last time I quit cold turkey. I just got so totally tired of being a slave to the cigarette and decided that enough was enough and that was it. So what I'm saying is that cold turkey has been the only way I could stop for any length of time. Of course I was apprehensive , anxious , fearful , etc. but decided that no matter what happened I was going to be a smoker no longer. That was nearly 5 years ago and today I have a new life that's better than I've ever known before. What I found was that my fear and anxiety was completely unfounded. You already have your own answers and know instinctively what to do and how to go about it. Talk to your doctor and do what's best for you. Excellent for you for being a non-smoker however you do it. breather 
Right now I am on still on Step 1 of the patch, and it has only been a few weeks.  It's recommended that you stay on step 1 for 4 weeks, step 2 for 2 wks, then step 3 for 2 weeks.  I've been through this process many times, and just when I'm about to go off of them, I start smoking again.  It's not that I'm even really craving at the time I give up, I just feel so anxious about quitting.  And the real kicker is, when I give in, I still feel just as anxious! 

That's why I feel I am wasting my time with them and should go just cold turkey and get it over with.  I think I may make an appointment with the DR. to dicuss these feelings.  If the smoking doesn't relieve the anxious feeling, it may be another issue totally unrelated.

I will keep trying.   I don't want to end up like others in my family with numerous health issues.
10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Snice,

If the patches are working, and you are following the guidance on the packet, then I'd recommend sticking  with them. They give a gradual reduction in the effects of nicotine withdrawal, as opposed to a sudden stoppage.

Don't rush to rid yourself of nicotine at the risk of losing your quit.  Having come this far, (by the way, how far is it?) it would be silly to have to repeat it all in the future. You may be surprised at how easy the step down can be with the patches.  What stage are you now?

From the beginning of my quit, (and I  say it to everyone)...

"Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!"

Love Lolly.    

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How long have you been on the patch? What dosage? What do the directions on the box recommend for the stepping down schedule? How do you feel right now, in terms of wanting to smoke?
  • Quit Meter

$22,495.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 7

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I've often thought about trying these, but thought it would be ridiculous to give up smoking, then be heading out to the smoking area to be attached to an e-cig instead.  Just my thoughts.

However, I have been using the patch, and I'm starting to wonder if even that's a good idea.  I want to be free from nicotine completely, but am afraid of failing.  I'm scared of going through the nicotine withdrawal, but think it would be so worth it in the end to just do it and get it over with.  I've lost count nowI'm tired of buying patches.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Follow up note. 

Today, when I was out and about at a public event with some people, one of our group was using the Ecigarettes so that he could smoke without leaving the area. I also noticed that there was a public booth where these were being advertised and sold. While I was mildly curious about how it worked (never seen one up close before) and the guy's perception of it, I really didn't want one. As I watched this guy alternate between Ecigs and regular cigs (yes, he kept going back for the burning embers, too), I just felt relieved that I no longer have to answer my internal addict's call. It feels good to be free of all of it. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,495.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 7

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Backagain!

I think that you are making a great decision and as I said before, I'm sure happy that you decided not to smoke!  I bet we are going to find out that the ecigs are more harmful than advertised; even more so than Working On It posted below!!!  Cigarette manufacturers tried to keep us in the dark about their deadly effects for how long?

Stick close and grab a hand whenever you need one!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,197.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 18

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked