Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

A Reason to Stop Smoking

13 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MARIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So glad you are here and looking forward to seeing you often and reading your posts.

Keep the Quit
Sparky
13 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky  and all , I made it , wow it's nice in here, until I think about my whole story to write, I will just say I have been smoke-free five years come June 13th , enjoy every minute of my smoke-free life, so till next time, keep on quitting, smoking is not an option, and remember

One day at a time

((Hugs) Marie 1
13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Charm Excellent for you to attend a function and enjoy yourself. As a non smoker you'll be able to see the whole play. Every social function that we attend makes our quit stronger. With the Xmas season coming up there will be challenges large and small to overcome. Early in my quit I agonized about going to Christmas partys etc. with the smoking freinds and although I don't recommend tempting fate I spent some time outside with the smokers early on. Just made sure of standing up wind of them. Build on every small success and reinforce that success with a small reward. Out of the success large or small comes the ingrained knowledge that we're building the self-confidence that we can win the moment in any situation. Enjoy. breather
13 years ago 0 312 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather it's just funny that you should bring this subject up when it sounds like everyone has something going on right now to bring it to there mind also. (Great minds think alike )

My story is: My boss is taking us girls to a play (nice fancy play at a PAC) this weekend, and I was talking to them about it this morning and how I was so looking forward to getting to stay with them the whole time, not miss any of the play and not have the FEAR of looking around for a place and time to sneak a smoke.

They laughed, in a good way I suppose, because they don't have any idea what that feels like, they just take "their freedom" for granted. They did say how excited they were that they will get to experience this with me.  NICE

Charm

Freedom Meter

Smoke-Free Days: 47
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 958
Amount Saved: $173.90
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 16 Mins: 13 Seconds: 50

13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Members,

Well there seems to be a lot of fear involved with smoking. On the flip side there is a fear with continuing to smoke, because of the effect it may have on other people.

Members, do you think fear is a positive or negative motivator?

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great posting everyone. If I take one small part of every post with me I'll do well today. Most of what we fear will never happen and even if it does odds are it won't be today. I think I made just about every mistake imaginable. Was it fear of failure or fear of success ? An ability to throw a wrench into the works when things were going well. Every post here is valuable. Hope you find a nice peice of pottery Rock. It's nice for us to get a good reward instead of our hard earned cash going up in smoke. Wishing all a fresh air day. breather
13 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great topic.  Fear can paralyze so many parts of ones life and what is it really???  Most of my fears are just boggy men and full of hot air. Yes, we have to live with some fears or we would die.  Like you don't put you hand on a hot burner, or stand in water with a live electrical wire, ie.  But when we get in our "comfort zones" it is hard to make a positive changes.  Usually when I look at something I want to do and don't the main reason is fear of perfectionism.  I have always wanted to do everything just right and feared I couldn't.

But the main reason for this quit, not to dismiss that I want this also, is my husband.  He is terminal and I just don't want smoking to be a part of our lives.  We know there are days down the road where I will be that smoking is not allowed and I just don't want to sneak and smoke nor do I want to reek of smoke. I know as with my alcoholism that the quit had to be for me as with the smoking it has to be for me, but for now it is for US.

Great topic.

Keep the Quit
Sparky

13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

You've all posted things that you're all looking forward to! Its great to read all the positivity!

Rock, have a wonderful trip!

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather, I was actually thinking about this topic a few minutes ago.  I'm flying to London this afternoon to celebrate my 2 year smoke free anniversary.  Leaving Columbus this afternoon, 2+ hour layover, then arriving in London  tomorrow morning.  Oh how I dreaded flying to Europe, as that meant 10+ hours of not smoking!  Not counting the time to check in, layovers with no smoking, etc.  The second I got through customs and immigration I would race outside and puff away at 3-4 cigs.  I used to take 2 + cartons of smokes with me so I wouldn't run out and have to pay $$$ for smokes in London.  But I always did run out, so I would spend vacation $$$ on high priced smokes!  I'm so happy I don't have to worry about this fear anymore!  Plus, I have more room in my luggage, and I'm not spending $100+ on smokes!  I can spend that on Belgium chocolates and Delft pottery now!

Thanks for reminding us about the joys of not smoking and the fear associated with it!  Cheers Mate!
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather,

This is so true.  I love the FEAR breakdown:  Face Everything And Recover  I will use that!

I have always feared returning home for x-mas.  How will I sneak away for a smoke?  How could I possibly chose a smoke over my family?  How will I mask the smell?  What happens if we are snowed in and I can't get to the nearest store to buy smokes? (we live in the country)  What excuses will I come up with this year to sneak away every hour?

So thankful I will not have to answer these questions this year.  No fear.  Just pure excitement and joy to see my family

Thanks for the post.

~Alice

Reading this thread: