Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Some numbers

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Workin'!

I have also experienced the pitfalls of trying to complete a long post and failing due to a timed log-off or some other hindrance!  Your best bet is to write long responses out in Word or Outlook or something then copy and paste it here! 

Again, congrats!  The CLINKS in  your honor were excellent last night! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: breather
" and acceptance is the answer to all of my problems ..... " ref. AA big book. Excellent for us all for not smoking. breather
Well, I just typed a big, long response to all this again. I was completing the very last part (some comments on the idea of acceptance) when I bumped my computer, causing it to log off and erase everything before I posted. I'm not sure if I will rewrite all of that later or just let it be. 

In the meantime, I guess breather's thoughts on acceptance are even more on target now. 

I have struggled with acceptance for probably...all of my life. I have railed against the reality of everything from world hunger to an unexpected misunderstanding with another. I suspect that my addictive tendencies are somehow related to this fact. I know that those tendencies brought me back to try to respond to all of this once again, in another compulsive attempt to be understood. That seems to be the kind of gal I am right now. And I'm guessing that I'd be better off accepting that fact, as well. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
" and acceptance is the answer to all of my problems ..... " ref. AA big book. Excellent for us all for not smoking. breather
11 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations WOI .And nice reward by the way. 
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Working on it, 

Congratulations on your first year quit! 

I used every aid imaginable in my quit, but considered the day I stopped putting cigs in my mouth to be my quit date....so I'll congratulate you today, and maybe again on the 8th.  Everyone to his own!

Love Lolly.  

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Workin'!!!

CLINK!!! 

Wow!  A year ago, I was certain that your unconventional quit plan was sure to fail and I am so happy to see that you proved me wrong!  Congratulations on your first trip around the sun in a long time as a non-smoker!  I am so proud of you!

I love hearing about your reward!  Sweet!!!  You definitely deserve it, buddy!  I'll be sure to hoist one in your honor this evening!

Double CLINK!!   

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A great big  CONGRADULATIONS   It really does come down to a minute, hour and a day at time and then before you know it ONE FANTACTIC YEAR!!

Boy if I need someone to do a deal for me I know who to ask   I love how you combined your two rewards together.  

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"
What is one piece of advice you can give to new quitters that help you get to where you are today?

Ashley, Health Educator"

I guess it would be my signature: Slow and steady wins the race.

...Since the battle against addiction isn't about racing to some far-off finish line. Instead, it is about getting through the next day, the next hour, and sometimes the next minute without a cigarette. Honestly, those first days and weeks (when I had to keep my focus on just getting through a few seemingly incredibly long hours at a time) were a much more significant accomplishment for me than the one year. Inside me is both a tortoise and a hare. If my little tortoise had faltered at those early times, there would be no bragging hare right now. Tortoise is really the one who wins the race.
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Working On It!

I remember now that you were debating on which date to select as your start date when you first started your journey, wow how time flys! You have been a loyal, supportive member this entire time. Thank you!

A new car with lower emissions sounds like a perfect reward. I hope you enjoy it. 

What is one piece of advice you can give to new quitters that help you get to where you are today?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working On It  Congratulations on your one year smoke free. Is it me or does it seem like you've been around here longer than that ? We only get to keep what we have by giving it away and you've earned your smobriety. I've heard it said that " the first year is a gift and the second we have to work for ". Not sure about the third ? It always makes me happy to see another person beating this addiction. For everything you do excellent for you.  breather Don

Reading this thread: