Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

new phase-- uncomfortable

15 years ago 0 1387 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb:
How are you doing today?
Kaiser

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 77
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,925
Amount Saved: $96.25
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 3 Mins: 11 Seconds: 20

15 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb,

"how long does it take before our neurotransmitters start working properly again???"

It ususally gets better from around Day 120, and there are physical (biological/chemical) reasons for this, as you know.

You will have good days and bad days for the next few months.  Over time, there are fewer bad days, and eventually there are NO bad days.   It is different for everyone as to when you reach "it" - it happens gradually really....suddenly you realise that you haven't thought about it for ages.  So I can only ask you to be philosophical, and know that it is OK to have some bad days. 

Great going on your 50 day milestone - you are well on your way to FREEDOM.

Lizzie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/23/2003
Smoke-Free Days: 1996
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 29,940
Amount Saved: �7,485.00
Life Gained:
Days: 205 Hrs: 8 Mins: 27 Seconds: 11

• Quit Meter

$8,853.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 783 Hours: 7

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Cvdeb,

Congrats on 52 smoke-free days, way to go!  Enjoy your well deserved reward!  Keep us posted.

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome Deb...You definately deserve and nice relaxing time away from it all....Have a great time...

Mr Q

P.S - lol....I figured your reaction to the tiger thing was going to be something like "Is this guy for real????"  lol...Take care..

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 66
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,584
Amount Saved: $495.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 2 Mins: 20 Seconds: 32

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow guys-- those were great posts and everything that I needed to hear.  I just got home from a very long day.  I spent most of the day white knuckling it, and thankfully was extremely busy with other people's problems.  Really, hearing that everyone goes through this stuff periodically helped tremendously.  You all also helped me shift my perspective on it.

When I was driving home from work, I came to the realization that perhaps there are going to be days that will be just as hard as some of the days during hell week.  I guess I'm just getting used to it being easier, and not really expecting those hard days anymore.

Geez-- Bonnie, how long does it take before our neurotransmitters start working properly again???   I want my dopamine back! :)  And I've been following your posts..... I know you've been going through it too (more hugs for you girl).

Mr. Q,  your thoughts were very accurate, and helped me look at this from a different perspective (which I needed).  I really appreciate the thought and time you put into that post.  The image of the tiger stopped me in my tracks (and actually helped me feel calmer about this)  ....and freespirit :)  I was happy to hear from you.... you also helped me remember the nicodemon is still at large.... he gets trickier and trickier.  Mike, you are no nonsense and absolutely right.  And hugs Kelly.....  I will keep taking it one day at a time and keep looking for that day when I come out the other side.  It's helpful to hear it lets up eventually.

I won a vacation about 5 months ago, and have been sitting on it waiting for something "special".  I really haven't done too much with the whole reward thing and I think it's time.  50 days smoke-free is special enough.  So, today  I booked the hotel about an hour up the coast.... fireplace, private hot tub overlooking the Pacific.  And I'm going by myself with a really good book.  I already arranged for a sitter for my little guy.  Moss, you're invited if you wanna come practice your new moves :)  Of course, that's only if the girls on the cruise will part with you for a weekend.  I doubt it.  The word on the street is that  you're gettin' pretty good with your cabana endeavors. 

And I will try finding the original post-- thank you for letting me know about that.

Off to rest my bones.....
hugs to all of you.  Thanks again for helping me screw my head back on and keeping my quit strong.
Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 52
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,248
Amount Saved: $374.40
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 4 Mins: 48 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb,

You have received a lot of great advice from other members here! Have you found any of it helpful?

Any ideas for new habits? Do you have any hobbies that you want to explore further?

You can do it girl! We are rooting for you!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  We opened a BIG can of worms when we first put nicotine in our bodies..   like a drug addict.
   we opened nicotine receptors.. which in turn closed off our own good... dopamine receptors.  So we let nicotine tell us it could cure all, end all.  we would be cool, smarter, not so tired, we could think better, we  could relax, we enjoyed food more if we had a cigareete after ( never said we could not taste the food very well.  or we would not be able to run and jump and play.. or we would wheeze going up the stairs.. or even after exertion.

I hit my crave times and Triggers...   I hit craves/urges so far before milestones.. 3 months, 100 days, then they have been pretty quiet ..... until this last week... Which I have been hitting some "triggers" pretty hard.. and I am close to 8 months..

Go stand near someone who is smoking..  do you want to... smell like that, not taste food,  find some place to hang out and hide to smoke...

Like Mr Q said.. don't over analyze things..   don't let the stupid nicotine have that much control.  it's not easy some days.

I try to get busy and do something..play a computer game,  crochet.. lately I have been going outside picking blackberries. ( which is also exercise.. stretching.. and fresh air.. inside freezing berries and at least 40 minutes picking stickers out of my fingers.....

Come on Deb... boredom?     

hugs, Bonnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 241
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,097
Amount Saved: $819.40
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 13 Mins: 24 Seconds: 39

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i hate to be blunt but here goes.

it's easier to go through a little boredom than a lot oflung cancer , just tough it out .
and the great news is , the boredom will pass.

just pat yourself on the back for all the success.

mike / astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 210
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,300
Amount Saved: $1,890.00
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 8 Mins: 1 Seconds: 59

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Gosh Deb, I can so relate to the 50 day (*&)(&^&^()*).  I came here and really struggled.  I started craving again and the depression kicked in full force.  It was tough, but I recognized all the things that mr. Q just talked about.  I still need to remind myself these things sometimes.  I wish there was something I could do to remove this phase of the quit for you, but I can't.  I can't even really remember how I got through it to tell you the truth, it is such a blur to me.  I do know that I took it one day at a time, always hoping that the next day would be better, and it finally was.  Hang in there girl, come here to fill your void. Or go for a walk...play with your kids..you can find something. 

I am hanging with you ....~~Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 307
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,210
Amount Saved: $1,151.25
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 0 Mins: 46 Seconds: 46

15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb,

Again congratulations on your success....The next little bits are my thoughts on this subject and for the purpose of offering a different perspective on things....I understand that everyone quits in their own way so if the next lines don't offer much comfort take them with a grain of salt.....Just know I care....

I will admit there is a certain amount of cognitive-behavior involved in this thing but I wouldn't give it too much credit...The times that this shows are on days like when CD went up to the counter and asked for a pack after quitting for such a long time....He didn't decide to smoke or even mean to ask for them....It's just automatic like the dog and the bell...The actual need for the nicotine not so much...

I think the biggest problem is the illusion....I know I've beat this one to death but we claimed to need a cigarette because we were so stressed and then again because we were so bored and then again when we are relaxed....My motto is "If the drug cures everything it doesn't cure anything." 

I've quit using carrot sticks, straws, gum, walking, water, etc.....Every time I failed....I don't believe the VOID has anything to do with the cognitive behavior after this amount of time....I'm not saying that these things don't help but I think it's during the first weeks when your getting the nicotine out of your system that those things help....The void I believe is something else altogether....I'm not sure what that is for you and I'm not sure how to make it go away....For me it was an understanding of what smoking really was and how the trick really worked...That helped me understand that their really isn't a void at all....

If you don't see a void, there is no void.....If you do see a void you need to figure out what exactly your missing....If you still believe your missing something there is a problem....Your a smart women and I don't believe this is anything other than the nicodemon realizing that he's losing and taking one last shot.....

If that's not the case well then consider void fillers that don't associate with smoking...

In other words.....Going for walks will make you feel better and they are always refreshing....Walking around with a straw in your mouth will make you think about smoking forever and enforce that cog-behavior....

Be very still......The tiger is watching you right now...

Your friend...

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 65
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,560
Amount Saved: $487.50
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 0 Mins: 28 Seconds: 27

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter