Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Not any better after 158 days

16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try Again, How are you doing today? Please check in and let us know what's going on. Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 749 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,093.37 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try, I owe you an apology. I overstepped. Emotions you know can sometimes be bad for the good of things. I'm sorry. Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 170 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $476.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, How are you doing? Lady [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 734 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,569.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 66 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just a thought. Could it be your husband has the raw end of the stick and not you. The way I see it.....he is themiserable one.......feeling quilty all day ..everyday .....for not doing what you are... NOT SMOKING Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 165 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $737.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
16 years ago 0 562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try Again I really think you should get off the nicotine gum. I'm not the best example of a quitter as I smoked one as a reward for my first year. That led to more but I've been back onfor awhile now. Groomers smoke. It looks so funnny to see my groomer sucking on a cig when she's trimming a topknot. They closes Sun and mon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 89 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 712 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $178.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi try again, I tend to agree with BFSwimmer, (except for you are not doing so much gum that you are getting more nic than when you smoked). 1/2 piece of the 2mg (1mg) mixed in with regular gum? that is hardly 30mg a day. According to your stats, you smoked 30 cigs a day. Have you read "The easy way to stop smoking"? If you have not read it, I strongly suggest that you get it. There is a great chapter in that book called,,nicotine addiction. You (as I am probably) are addicted to the nicotine in the NRT. It is nicotine that causes cravings. So NRT WILL keep us cravings until we are entirely weaned off of the NRT. After that, cravings are mental, mind associations that trigger cravings. The book calls this "brainwashing". "Although it is the world's most powerful drug bcause of the speed in which you become hooked, you are never badly hooked. BECAUSE it is a quick-acting drug it takes only three weeks for 99 percent of the nicotine to leave your body, and the actual withdrawal pangs are so mild that most smokers have lived and died without ever realizing that they have suffered them. There is no physical pain in the withdrawal from nicotine. It is merely an empty, restless, feeling, the feeling of something missing." It is the nicotine that causes the cravings. You went 3 days without any NRT, so you know that you can do it. You need to face the brainwashing aspect of smoking. It is NOT enjoyable, it is NOT relaxing. It does absolutely nothing for us. I say, get off the NRT, try again. You seem to be miserable using it because it just keeps the physical cravings coming. Then, work on the brainwashing aspect of smoking. When a mental craving comes, use self talk. Find a mantra that means something to you and say it EVERY time you think of smoking. I want to be free, smoking does nothing for me, nicotine is a poison...whatever..find your mantra, quit the nrt, and I truly believe that you will finally start feeling better. And think of a reward for all your hard work so far!!!! 5 months is truly awesome. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $200.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, It is so disheartening when a loved one disappoints us. I feel your pain in your words. If it's any comfort, at least he is just sneaking them, meaning that he must be smoking much less than before. Not that it's right, mind you, but it is better than a 1-2 pack per day habit. Could there be something else that is causing him to continue to smoke? Was he so upset by the state of his health that it's the only thing he could think to do? Does he care about his own health? It's hard for me to believe, but there are some people who don't care...look at all of us who did the 1-2 pack thing for how many years? Did we care at the time? Sometimes it takes a medical intervention to get someone to quit. For others, a medical problem sends them right back to the smokes. Maybe a good heart-to-heart would help. Or maybe, like Bear says, [quote] sounds like this husband needs a root in the a--. [/quote] Either way, good luck to you and don't give up your quit. Slow and easy, day by day. Keep inspiring others! Nance [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 141 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,230 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $683.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with you on this one Audry sounds like this husband needs a root in the a--.Either that or there has been some form of Divine Intervention since Feb 2007 ???? And Tryagain there is no way that you need the money that bad as to risk your health in the process period.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 107 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,926 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,070.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TryAgain, I'm going to go against the crowd and say that after almost 160 days, it's time to start weaning off the NRT. Perhaps, instead of using the gum or losenge, try using the patch, which delivers a constant stream of nicotine... from your post, it sounds like you're actually ingesting more nicotine than you did when you smoked! The amount of nicotine that we got from cigarettes was roughly 1 mg per cigarette (they contain more, but a lot of that gets burnt up in the smoke we don't inhale and in the filter). So, if you chew more than5 pieces of the 4mg gum a day, and used to smoke 1 pack a day, then you're actually getting MORE nicotine now than you did when you smoked! The point of NRT is to wean yourself OFF so that you get LESS nicotine over time... not more. I know this is difficult for you, and chewing the gum IS better than smoking, but you're not getting over the physical addiction part of this process by remaining on NRT for so long. The normal recommended timeframe is 2-3 months. You've been on the gum now for over 5 months and are thinking about going back up to the 4mg gum because the cravings are so bad. I sympathize with you and I know how hard this must be, but I can't say that I think it's a good idea to go back up. As for the working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, I do think that you need a rest. You must be exhausted constantly! The "T" in H.A.L.T. is for tired - you're not supposed to let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired, and judging by your post, you are DEFINITELY tired! And when we get that tired, we start to think about smoking "to relax." Well actually, smoking RAISES blood pressure, RAISES your pulse and does NOT help you relax... we just thought it did. I do encourage you to find other ways to relax. I understand the need to work, but you're killing yourself by working so much! Taks some time for YOU so you can get yourself back to a happier state. I do feel for you and I hope that you can somehow get over this addiction soon. I commend you for not smoking and you really are doing a great job because you ARE resisting the temptations! As for still craving after 160 days, that's actually pretty common. They say it takes a year to 18 months to fully get over the cravings. Just keep being patient and hold on! We're hanging on to you... don't let go of our hands! Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 748 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,700 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,089.24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try, I have always admired you for telling it like it is. No sugar coating from you, quitting sucks and you are going to tell us how we really feel. So since I always read your posts this post could not help but flash me back to a post of yours from long ago. What the H*** is your husband doing smoking???? I'll risk losing a few friends here :mad: [url=http://sg.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=35472&forum=1&forumname=Forum%20for%20New%20Users%20&%20General%20Discussion&topictitle=Bad%20news%20from%20the%20doctor%20for%20my%20husband.]http://sg.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=35472&forum=1&forumname=Forum%20for%20New%20Users%20&%20General%20Discussion&topictitle=Bad%20news%20from%20the%20doctor%20for%20my%20husband.[/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 170 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $476.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15

Reading this thread: