Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,657 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE

Exhausted to the point of being paralyzed

17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Tryagain. I have been smokefree for 10 days and I wake up and Soon after the nicotine devil hits me and a thought of a cigertte flits through my mind. Right then I go put a patch on and go on with my day. I refuse to let something be stronger than I am. I'm in control and I'll make it for my health and the desire to enjoy a longer life with my husband and my loved ones. Sure a lot of us have health problems but don't let yourself become mired down with self-pity. Get some medical help for the depression and buck-up and fight this monsterl. Love you Gal and keep fighting. It will get easier but you have to start loving yourself first. Jaybird's lady
  • Quit Meter

$120,849.12

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6398 Hours: 21

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 388 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, Please hang in there. I do know what you mean about not wanting to do anything. It has been twenty days and I have not cooked my family a good meal since I smoke. Regarding the part about the grocery store. I saw the positive in that story. You did not buy a pack of cigs. I am so impressed. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one. Also, if you did purchase any food then you would do what I did the first 8 day. Eat Eat and Eat. I gained 7 pounds in 8 days. Now I have to go to the gym before my fat butt want be able to get up off the couch. :8o: It does get easier. You go from looking at it minute to minute to looking at it hour to hour. I have faith that in the future it will go day to day and month to month. Know that we are here if you need us. We know that you can do it this time. Keep us posted. Julie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tryagain, u say you didn't choose to quit. to feel better, you may need to reorder your thinking and take back the control. i have failed dozens of times b/c i quit for wrong reasons. i hate being bossed around and i don't really care much for what others think, so all the health warnings and societal pressure never worked for me. please let yourself be lazy. i am an a++++ personality and I slothed around for almost two weeks. so did my very active hubby who quit with me. after work i put on jammies, did some yoga and then vegged out with movies most nights. i know it sounds clich� and all blah, blah, blah, but exercise will change your mood and energy substantially after u get through the initial rough patches. i did gain a few pounds, but have lost almost all in past two weeks. i am now addicted to what the exercising does for me. i have always worked out but it's much different now. i felt better at two weeks and amazing at 4 weeks. yes, still have cravings. but i am done. i'm thinking good thoughts for your health and success
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain I feel for you in this and if I could take you running with me, I certainly would...This is such a golden opportunity for you to finally lay this nasty thing to rest, I hate to see you feeling so poorly. You must and I repeat must get your body moving...If you do not up your circulation and get some of those happy neurotransmitters going you will continue to feel low. I know it sounds backwards...You are probably saying yea right I can hardly get off the chair and this guy wants me to run a marathon...Well no exactly, a brisk walk will do...In addition I can't stress enough the value of deep breathing...I find it takes away the severity of the craving and drinking gallons of water douses the rest...I cannot tell you the physiology of these things, but I can tell you that they work... Please find the energy to move about, you will find that it will make all the difference in the world... My thoughts are with you tonight nonic
17 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know exactly how you're feeling!! I promise you that will get better. I remember thinking to myself "OK, you can't escape this so try to enjoy it.." I rented movies and got a blanket and pillow, piled up on the couch and stayed there for 2 days. My boss and family were committed to helping me 100% and let me do whatever I needed to get through the day. My thoughts are with you... hang in there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,068 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $210 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try again, Katy's right...make yourself get up and get going do something...anything that will put some activity in your day (not a real good choice, but even pacing the floor) Depression goes right along with the craves, but exercise helps neutralize the depression. Get mad :mad:.....this is an addiction and you have to fight it. yesterday, I shoveled snow for six hours...my back is killing me!! but....I am not depressed today... "I feel good...la..da..la..da..la, like I knew I would"!!! Today...(I'm not quite finished with the driveway, but enough room to get the car out..tee-hee)...I'm going to spend the afternoon with my daughter and 9-mo old grandson...because...they need me. auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,921 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too concentrated fully on my quit(s)..this being the last :) But this time around I found that with having to be kept busy with so many things has certainly taken the focus off of my quit, off of the thought of not smoking and staring at the clock as the minutes tick by. In many ways I am grateful I am busy with a variety of things, but as well I make sure to reward myself with much needed down time and as some do I curl up with my favourite comforter and watch a good movie! I dare not become exhausted mentally or physically because I know that my body is simply healing itself and I take it slowly but keep busy. So it looks like my way of dealing with the quit may be different than some, but everyone's quit is truly their very own. That being said, if you feel like you're not up to a lot of your daily routines and wish to rest/nap or whatever than do just that and embrace it! Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 486 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm glad to see depression mentioned on this thread, as well. Sadness and tears are less common symptoms of this illness than the general weariness and lack of purpose we're seeing here. That having been said, I CANNOT say enough about the value of any kind of exercise. I gave that up about 2 weeks ago, and damn near lost my whole quit because of it. Finally dragged my sorry rear end into the tiny "fitness center" in my office building (I'm just not a Gold's Gym kind of guy... tried it, hated it) and feel a thousand percent better now. Doesn't matter what you do, as long you do something -- anything to keep the blood moving and endorphins (wasn't that Samantha's mother??) flowing. Thanks for staying in such close touch, Try! (Succeed.) peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,077 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $555.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tryagain, I hear what you're saying. I'm on day 23 and I have to agree with JT, I'm not into cooking the way I usually am, it takes all I have to vaccuum the carpet, load and empty the dishwasher. And sometimes I leave these things for others to do. In fact the only thing I'm REALLY good at right now, is laying on the loveseat in the evenings and watching CSI, Law and Order, those types of shows. So hang in there it does get better. In fact I'm looking forward to a year from now when I can say, yeah, it was tough, but look at me!!! I made it. Hang in there and keep posting. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 683 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 91 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, Trying! Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time right now. Read this post over and over and I believe that you will see that every person that has responded to your plea for help is being sincerely honest with you. As I have read some of the responses it has opened my eyes to my own paralyzed self the past couple of weeks. Since my quit 24 days ago, I have been doing really well, but the last couple of days have been awful. My picture must be beside the work LAZY in the dictionary. I keep wondering where all this energy and feeling good is at that I was suppose to find once I gave up the smokes. Well, I just figured out where the energy and a good feelings are, they are inside of me and I have got to get up and get moving to awaken them. I have had them buried under clouds of nicotine that they are still sleeping. EXERCISE is the key word that I am hearing from these posts. And you can bet you buttocks that this weekend I will be outside no matter the temp and start to find the energy and feeling good that is inside of me. Maybe that accounts for some of the 7 pounds that have attached themselves to me over the last couple of weeks also. So do yourself justice and get up and move around, take down the damn clocks in the house and watch you stats here on the site continue to mount. I want you to breath without coughing, and I want you to be proud to keep your quit going for you and your future. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 769 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $150 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$12,198.49

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6425 Hours: 14

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: