Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

A Quit for all the Seasons and Shedding My SKin

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phoenix only has like 2 seasons ... summer and not summer ... LOL! I know what you mean about the gardening and what not. I would always smoke when I worked out in the garden. Now I take a huge glass of ice water out there with me. I really do not know how I ever smoked out there in this heat. Crazy I tell you! I wonder what it is going to be like in the winter time. As it gets closer I will have to sit down and think of what my triggers may be so that I can prepare ahead of time. It really helps to have a game plan. Making non smoking memories to replace smoking memories can be hard work at time, but it is oh so rewarding. Good Luck to Rob. I'm sure you'll do just fine. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,483 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$54,498.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 14

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks all for the thumbs up. I don't know who actually started those threads about the seasons and the skin; I can't take credit, but they're good ones and they stuck in my head. Maybe they'll encourage others to stick with it and be patient. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 132 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1188 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
These are for me the two most provocative topics of the "reality" of quitting discussed on this site. We're into summer now...humidity, heat, sunny intense days, the gardens (and weeds) are growing with frenetically. I got through my spring craves for "spring things" I always did with a cigarette. I ripped off that skin and it hurt. I wanted parts of that skin to stay. I'm pretty tender right now. And now...it's summer. Lotsa craves from the summertime things. My skin is thin. It's pretty tough. All this stuff to relearn. :gasp: Yes, I can see how this is going to take ME- (not everyone...don't get panties in bunches, here....I know not everyone experiences this!! :eg:)-it'll take me a good year to tear off skins and relearn being a a smokeless person. Whoever started those concepts here, I thank you...it has helped me to be patient. Wish me luck! :8|: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 131 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,272 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1179 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
[quote] 131 Days - can you believe it? [/quote] No Martha- I still can't believe it! I never thought I would be able to do this. It is quite a process, as I'm sure you and Lady can attest to. I'm glad to be a part of this. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 132 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,282 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1188 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stretching that skin over our heads and releasing a new me...feeling new skin tender for a while...then it toughens up with time and starts all over again with the lessons that we are learning every day. Thanks Rob for the picture in my brain. Have a great day! Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 129 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,293 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $258 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,062.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5860 Hours: 0

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wishing you luck Rob. I like the changing skin analogy. To add to it if I may, skin does scar over and if required grafts can be done, there are bandaids both liquid and cloth, z plasty can work wonders for stretching over a wound ... point ... we heal. I celebrate you and that you are healing and that you are moving, growing, doing whatever it takes to do what is required to change you life and to move through into freedom from smoking. I wish you luck every step of the way. Thanks for the thread. Have some summer fun this weekend. Ciao Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,665 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $997.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stick to it and be patient! Bump :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 149 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1117.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rob Congratulations on your quit. You seem to have a real understanding of what you are going through and may go through. Hang on to the skin thing. Next week is one year and it is on this site that I heard about 'passing all the seasons'. I am very comfortable now. This site and all the wonderful people on it sure brought me through some difficult times and they deserve a GREAT BIG TOYOTA KICK because without them I likely would have caved at some point or be in total depression. Stick with it and when your mind gets into the junkie thinking, this is the place to come for support. Keep up the quit...be proud.. Zookie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 357 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2499 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rob. 12 to 18 months dear. That is what they say and I believe it. I'm approaching one year and really feeling good. The main problems I have seem to be when life wants to throw me a curve. You know, the crappy stuff that happens. For whatever it is worth, around the six month mark things started to turn around. It does take time. Hang in there and keep fighting. The battle is worth winning. Glad to have you along. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 363 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,278 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1270.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, I love your analogy of the skin thing... that's so true! I totally understand what you mean about the seasons too! Everytime the season changed, I'd always think to myself "oh crap!" Now, I'd like to offer you some hope. As I'm sure you know (because I'm not at all quiet about how hard this thing has been for me! :eg: ) that I've had a rough quit... even some major bumps in the road. But, I started this quitting thing a little over a year ago and can tell you that it DOES get amazingly better... even for the tough-time quitters. So, even if you're having a rough time, don't get down and think that it might get easier for some, but won't for you because I'm here to tell you that even for the quitters who have it rough (like you and me) that the cravings DO go away (I'm sure I'll still have some from time to time, but it's not that often anymore). Today, I did something I haven't done since quitting, and that's go fishing. I used to always smoke while fishing, but you know what? I didn't even think about the fact that I used to smoke while fishing until, oh, 5 or 10 minutes ago (we got back about 8:30 this morning). So, yes, while it might take a year for the total comfort to set in, I'm here to say that it DOES set in!!! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 245 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,141 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1011.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15

Reading this thread: