Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Smoking Weight Gain

17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I stopped smoking my main concern was gaining weight. A little over a year ago I lost about 44lbs and never wanted to gain weight again. I have been smoke free for almost 4 wks and I am up 5 lbs, and there are times when I think I would rather smoke than gain anymore weight. Jess
  • Quit Meter

$436,108.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4420 Hours: 2

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everytime I've quit smoking I've gained between 15-25 lbs. To lose the weight I'd just start smoking again. The last time I quit I put on 15 1bs. This time I failed to lose the weight when I started smoking again. I was hoping to have that weight off before I quit smoking again but that didn't happen and I knew it was time to quit. I'm so tired of playing this game. I'm tired of hacking and smelling and being that mom that smokes. I've put on 7+ lbs so far but I refuse to go another size up in clothes so I joined weight watchers. I find I'm obsessing about food so it's making quitting smoking a little easier this time. I've lost 5 lbs and gained back 2 but damnit! I'm not giving up. I'm going to quit smoking AND be at a healthy weight. It won't be easy and it won't always be fun but it will be worth it! Hang in there everyone! We can all do it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 527 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $129 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jess, You have to start making a plan. Do you know how to knit? Crochet? You need something to keep your hands busy that you can do almost anytime, anywhere. Chew on toothpicks. You need to find an activity that doesn't require much thought that keeps your hands busy. I'm still struggling with this. I do great all day. It's the evening hours that get me. That's when I used to smoke the most and find myself eating more. It's important to keep talking about it. Not only does talking help take the power away from it so you can be open to the solution. If you talk about it with friends and family you might hear that one idea/suggestion for a smoking replacement that has zero calories and will work for you. Bootsie :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 564 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $141 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Rusty....twinkies mmmmmmm.... Trudy :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 708 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $89.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess it depends on the person but the good thing about quitting smoking is that when you quit you're instantly a nonsmoker. But, when you diet it can take weeks or months or even years to see the results that you want. Plus there are so many factors (besides overeating) that can contribute to gaining/losing weight that it's not always in our complete control - but quitting smoking is always in our control. Congrats on 91 days. I can't wait to get that far in my quit! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 287 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I personally think quitting smoking is harder. With dieting, at least you can still have food. In moderation, you can have sweets. But, quitting smoking, you cannot still have one. No moderation there. Just my thoughts. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,304 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140.61 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
18 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitter...I'm working on both and I for me it is losing weight. I was ready this time to quit so it has not been bad, but the eating!! Oh Heaven help me! And even when I eat healthy, it sticks to me! I have started walking but just had major surgery so I am only allowed 1 mile a day. I feel like I am over the absolute worst of the cigarettes so now I have to focus on the weight. The really nice thing is, since we are non smokers, exersize should be easier for us!!! Hang in there!! [color=Red]KC :)[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 688 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 208 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, isn't this a tough questions. When I'm smoking, I can go a few days with almost no food. While not smoking, it makes me nuts.. I want to eat. I am now the fattest I've ever been, accept when pregnant. Arg.. I hate being even a little fat. I'm up 7 lbs from my winter weight and 19 lbs from my summer weight. Don't know why, but I always go up 10-15 lbs in the winter.. now its a little more than that! So, I'm trying to get in 2 hours of cardio a day. That may sound like a lot, but even when smoking I used to do 1.5 hours 4 times a week.. at least in the summer. This winter I've been about as active as my fern. Today I rode my bike for 1.5 hours and walked for an hour. Food wasn't too bad either. We'll see if I can get out of the panic zone in the next 2 weeks. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,550 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $595 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know how you feel.I gained 20 lbs. in 3 mos.Now that I quit smoking I don't feel better because of the weight.I have tried every thing to lose it.I am like you when I look in the mirror I hate myself.I have never been overweight.Everone said you will feel better if you quit smoking but I don't because of the extra weight.I don't know what to do anymore than what I'v been doing.Don't say what everone says eat better and exersise because I am doing that!!!!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,373 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $324.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am with you, stop eating is hard to do when you have nothing to put in your mouth anymore. I know I'll do it because being in the best health is very important to me in 2006.I need to lose 13 lbs.But to stop smoking isn't as hard in the long run as to stop eating, there is always food around but you can make sure there is no smokes arould.So here's to the next fight.lose 13 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,088 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $286 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6

Reading this thread: