Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Crossing

9 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I m a big fan of your wirting Nonic.It really amazes me how easily you understand the feelings & pen it down so beautifully that even other person who hasnt felt that pain may start to understand.Good work
10 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lolly

Thank you so much for that...I hope all is well with you.  It is great that you continue on the site, giving support to those in need, long after your own battle has been won.  My hat is off to you...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 12

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nonic,

I love this post. I find it lovely to imagine.   I hope it has the same effect on others who have not quite reached the other side!

Love Lolly.    
Working on it

Good to hear from you. I am glad that you are having  such success.  This is a lonely struggle for so many and I believe that much hope is generated by your enthusiastic and outgoing nature. 

Stay well

Nonic 
  • Quit Meter

$66,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks nonic. I am also a fan of your writing.

And yes, the water is great, and the other side is sunny.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,551.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 19

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Whisper:

Thank you so much for that...I can see that you are crossing that bridge as we speak (or type)...I don't post that often any more for one reason only, authenticity.  I no longer have to fight day by day and inch by inch, so I am concerned that I may write something that is not real.  But I will write if I think that I can add some solid ground to the path.  Much of what I send here has come from my own journal, which is just me talking to myself and trying to explain my self to me.  But I know that there is a certain thread that connects us all, so when I say something to myself that appears to display that commonality, I will send it...Other than that its just me talking to myself...

But look at you, you have demonstrated excellent progress.  I know it is hard, and I know there are times that you want to give up, but I am here to tell you that the goal is worth every bit of anxiety and depression that withdrawal brings.  Health is a blessing and we should be warrior like in our effort to maintain it.  So keep up the fight...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Flipping heck.... And you think I should write a novel?!?

Honestly, if you wrote a book, I'd read it....I looove your posts.  

Crossing Over

Leaving old things behind can be a painful experience.  When I was a boy I didn't notice that which I was leaving behind with much clarity, because that which was yet to be was so enticing. Expectation and anticipation are the the animators and the birth right of the young.

As we move through our lives, we find that in some ways, the reality of our experiences are somewhat different from that which we anticipated. And why not? All future events must always live in our imagination.  We have not yet crossed the bridge which seems so enticing in our pre-experiential minds.  It is only after we have actually set foot upon the river crossing that we know what it all feels like.  And so too is it only upon reaching the other side that we can understand the nature of the journey that we have made. We now know what it was like to approach the bridge. We know the feel of it under our feet and once across we can look back upon it with a sense of pride that only comes from doing a thing that formerly resided in our imagination.

Becoming victorious over an addiction is very much like crossing a preconceived bridge.  When we smoked, we saw that bridge in our minds. Although we could see the bridge, we feared crossing over and instead of following our imagination we lived huddled up on the other side clothed in guilt, fear and separated from our own liberation by a thin blue veil of smoke.  

I know how difficult it can seem to actually rid ourselves of this horrid addiction.  I lived on the other side of the bridge for a long, long time.  I eyed the span with a sense of self loathing and inadequacy that kept me frozen, inactive and addicted.  And I will not say that it was easy to begin shedding the garments of fear.  But as time went by and I did my best to look at the reasons for my addiction, I was empowered to seek my own way out of the prison that I had created.  That is why I know now that it is possible to cross over.  And that is why I now know that you can do this as well.  However painful the re birthing process may be always, remember that your freedom does not have to live in your imagination.  You have the power to shed the bonds that keep you from making real that which is now a desire.  All we must do is seek to make that which is imagined manifest in the present.  Day by day, crave by crave, the journey will become easier to bear. And one day soon you will know for sure what it is like to cross over that bridge.

stay well

nonic    
  • Quit Meter

$66,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter