Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

On Being of More Than Tender Years

11 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic, we know that to be true.  I had way to many things going on in my life.  Even the doctor told me it wasn't time.  Now it is.  I have walked though so much and wouldn't wish it on anyone nor do I have any regrets. Thanks for the post.  

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley:

Thanks for the good words...I think that sometimes people feel that they have been in the cycle to long to break out.  But I don't believe that to be true...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 9

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yet another beautiful and insightful post Nonic!

Thank you.
Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello My Fellow Travelers:

It has recently come to my attention that I am getting older. Yes, alas it is true. My body is feeling the wear
and tear of many trips around the sun. For some reason tomorrow is becoming today at an ever increasing rate of speed and yesterday seems much farther away than it used to be. 

In short, time is ticking on and in many ways my internal timepiece is becoming more attuned to the passage of days. But I think this may all be a good thing. There are many out there who are, shall we say, less of tender years and more of hard-bitten experience. And I think, when it comes to finally releasing one's self from the grip of our shared addiction age is an advantage.

When we are young, focus can be a difficult thing to achieve. And why should it not be so. The future is wide, the
possibilities are endless, and we believe that it shall always be that way. So we try this and we try that and each this and that becomes a building block that brings us to now. It is difficult through out this process to center ourselves. But once we come to that place where we know with absolute certainty that time (our time) is really finite, focus becomes less difficult. At least that is the way that I am experiencing the aging process. 

So come gather round all of you folks of more than tender years. For years you have wished to end this addiction. I know, the thought has come and gone. Perhaps you have tried in the past and found yourself to be less than satisfied with the out come. Perhaps you have thrown up your hands in despair and put cessation on hold. Maybe you believe that it is impossible. I understand that, it is not an easy addiction with which to come to terms. However, do not think that past failures are any indication of things to come. No, each of these attempts has taught us something, even if the lesson seems hard to remember.

The length of time that we have smoked should not be a barrier against success. In truth the realization of our mortality can be a time that allows us to focus more clearly on the things that are important. It does for me anyway. We need to guard our health, we need to gather our courage around the idea that we can still make things better for ourselves. And what better way to test that hypothesis than to put the cigarettes down for good?

Yes, I know that growing older can be a bit awkward, that it often brings on anxiety tinged with regret. But I also know
that it allows us to focus on the years that remain. And it is that focus that keeps us from just blowing away...

stay well

nonic

• Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 9

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter