Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Nicotine replacement

12 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks
  • Quit Meter

$143,054.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6490 Hours: 17

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to hear you managed the step down ok. But if the cravings get un-manageable ( which I doubt they will) I would step the patch back up for a while. You're doing such a good job- well done to you!
12 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I have been using the 14 mg patch since the beginning of my quit (apparently my current level of smoking did not warrant starting with the 21's - I cut back a couple of years ago),  Yesterday I decided I would step down to the 7 mg and see what happens....  I would have to say I had more cravings for the first few hours of the day - not intense, certainly manageable - then they settled down for the rest of the day.  I will continue with the 7's for a while until I'm feeling totally comfortable to go naked!  Last night was the first night I had a good sleep - so overall I have to say stepping down the dosage has only been positive :)

Tory
  • Quit Meter

$143,054.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6490 Hours: 17

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi 4 my ! Congrats on your success so far. I too leaned on my patches for support. They were a tangable replacement for the cigarettes that were no longer a part of my life, but as time went by, and I felt more and more confident, I found myself anxious to get off the patch. A lot will go through your mind in the two months you'll be on the patch.  I suggest you follow the program that came with the patch exactly as designed. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.  Return here often as we all understand what you are going through when the people in your life may not. You will make it -just abide this rule- Not One Puff Ever.

William - Free and Healing for Eleven Months, Eleven Days, 11 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 42 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 12197 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $5,567.85.
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendy,
I'm on them currently, and I have 2 more weeks at 14 mg, then 2 at 7mg. I'm 4 weeks quit. I forgot my patch Saturday, aside from a couple grumpy moments there was no difference, I only realized I had forgotten it when I went to take it off at bed time (I don't sleep with it on) and there wasn't one to remove. Sunday I put my patch on, because I want to make sure I stay quit and sticking with the steps will give me the best outcome. It's a step down designed to break the mental habit while slowly weaning you off the physical. Don't build it up in your mind, just take it one day at a time.
12 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't really have withdrwls maybe weird dreams? Because of the patch... and the first days I felt like eating everything. And sometimes I still do.
12 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy!
I started the Habitrol NRT patch on Sat. morning, starting with 21 mg.

At first I had cravings (still do), but I felt relaxed and calm, like I can cope with them.  I tried Zyban before (a different story) but I didn't feel as relaxed.
Anyways, these are symptoms I have experienced so far, however it may just be the nicotine withdrawl sysmptoms, so I'm not sure:

more perspiration
waking through the night, feeling hot
short bouts of dizziness
a little more acne than usual
a half-day headache
one day of nervousness
dry mouth
starting to have a bit of a cough now
keener sense of smell
the last 2 mornings I have experienced really dry eyes

Again Wendy, may just be nicotine withdrawl and a bit of hormone changes, but that is what I have experienced so far.  I hope that helps?  Let us know what you have experienced.

Jodi
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy, Good question. I used the patch as directed and have been off for some months now so the system can work. As for withdrawls my experience was that when I first went off cigs and on the patch I had strong cravings for a few days which tapered off as the weeks went by. That sounds similar to what people who go cold turkey experience but the patch made it bearable. Whenever I tried to quit cold turkey I never made more than a day or two, the patch gave me a system to hold on to and follow which has worked for me. I did feel the change from 21mgs to 14 mgs and also with the drop to 7 mgs. I felt like something was missing on the second day after the switch and it lasted about 2 1/2 days before I was comfortable again. But again the sensation was mild and easily handled as by this time you have some time invested and are not likely to give that up.
I hope this gives you some idea of that aspect of quiting with the patch. Stay with it and we will watch the quit days grow and our bodies heel. Good Luck Wendy !

William - Free and Healing for Nine Months, Eight Days, 9 Hours and 35 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 34 Days and 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9919 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $4,515.94.
12 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and welcome. Glad you stopped in to see us. I am on Chantix, so I can't really talk about the NRT replacements, but I wanted to say keep reading and posting here; there is a lot of information and knowledge on this site. You caught the weekend, which can be somewhat slower to get a response, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to talk about personal experience with NRTs. DeniseK
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your welcome.

I'm sure members will be around shortly to share.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: