Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Anybody ever have this problem

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have the opposite problem (big surprise there!)... I can never sleep the first week or so of my quit.  I just hate that.  Can't afford to get drowsy during the day (contrary to my incessant posting here, I actually DO work for a living; two jobs, in fact), so I really do miss that sleep.  I remember from experience, though, that it doesn't last much longer than a week, so I'm just toughing it out until I sleep again.  ("Toughing it out."  That makes me feel like SUCH a Marine!  Bring on the boots and guns....)
-peteg
13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go Jodee! Yes, sometimes it's just that we are good and ready, and when you get that feeling that you know you can do it - Nothing can stop you! So keep on doing what you are doing. but remember to check i here and read to keep you motivated, and to prepare you for stressful times too. Do you have the quit meter? It is really helpful.
13 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am doing very well.  I get tension in my neck and there are times during the day where I get that funky feeling, I don't know how to describe it, but I have no desire to turn back.  I love the quit meter, can't believe I would have ingested 333 cigs.  Beleive me, I have tried and failed before, so I am not being holier than thou, I just must have been really fed up and scared this time.  I have a new grand baby on the way, maybe that is what clicked this time.  Who wants a chainsmoking grandma to watch their baby?
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pampering yourself is highly recommended during the early days, JoDee. How're you going to do that this week? Also rewards, big and small, to replace the reward you used to give yourself with a cigarette. Be very very nice to yourself. You deserve it. Hope your stepson does as well as you are in addressing his own addiction.
13 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ugh.  My step son just went to rehab for 30 days for a prescription drug issue.  I think nicotine attics need to be able to take a 30 day break from life and go to a beautiful spa, where we get up in the morning, do yoga, eat a great breakfast, then do a heavy cardio workout, lunch, afternoon at the pool, nap, great dinner a moonlight walk, and massage.  MMMMM, doesn't work that way does it.  So since life doesn't work that way, I like eya's idea of working your schedule around so you can just curl in an sleep for a week if you need to.
13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My military mindset has creeped in, DJ. I really believe that what you want is not relevant. To quit smoking, we have to do what we need to do.  With wants comes excuses. Sorry, but I sometimes believe in tough love.
13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shevie and eya
 Thanks for the advice. I do think it's from the nicotine be gone from my body. I was going cold turkey. I have to
go to the doctor next week so think I'm going to either try the wellbutin or chantix. I am controlling my smoking
so that I don't get back in some of the habit. I don't sit in my chair and smoke or even any place where I use to.
Am trying to smoke outside which I hate because of the weather. Then only a 1/2 on at a time. 5 a day. So that's really good because it was 15 to 18 a day. I really would like to do this without meds. DJ
13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi DJ 
I hope you're figuring out the sleep/passing out problem and continuing on with your quit.  Do you always get scared about passing out and go back to smoking after the third day?  What a frustrating cycle that would be!  The advice already offered here sounds very good :)  I believe if I experienced this phenomenon and still wanted to maintain NOPE,  I'd start with seeing my Doc to rule out any underlying health concerns, as already mentioned - then pick a good Quit date when I knew I'd have Day 3 and 4 off to embrace my sleep if needed - then, if still having same issue after that - maybe get a bus pass until all better  LOL 
13 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I experience something similar when I don't sleep well the night before.  The past few years have been like that.  I've actually fallen asleep while soldering under a microscope with the soldering iron in my hand.  Luckily, nothing has been burned that was of any importance.  I've also fallen asleep while sitting at traffic lights.  Again, luckily nothing bad has happened, but I understand the scary aspect of it.  Keep in mind that this started about three years after I quit, so the two are unrelated for me.

What I experience is feeling a bit tired, but not really "drop off sleepy".  Then I open my eyes and realize I was asleep, but have no idea for how long.  I suspect it was usually for just a few seconds.

My problem, I believe, is that my bed needs to be elevated at the head, but for various reasons I have not been able to do that.  With a flat bed, I wake up several times during the night, often not enough to be aware of it.  My recent SO has commented that she has been aware of me coming out of sleep, then going back because I would stir or make a sound that woke her up, too.  Together we were able to draw a loose and very unscientific correlation to her disturbed sleep (because of me) and my daily tendency toward "naps".  

Perhaps your falling asleep is the result of several minor sleep disturbances due to nicotine deprivation.  If that is the case, it should pass in a few weeks as your body adjusts to life without nicotine.

Are you using NRT or any medications?
13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shevie no I haven't I just know it's not liking being sleepy it's almost like passing out.
It doesn't start until about the third day of the quit. DJ

Reading this thread: