Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,693 Members

Please welcome our newest members: aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH, Strongyogi*, TNIKKA

Advice Needed

13 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alice,

First of all know that this is a normal part of withdrawal and it will pass.  Quitting is not easy but the fight is worth it.   Chemicals in tobacco smoke affect your entire central nervous system. Because these chemicals have been messing with your nervous system, quitting can cause a feeling of nervousness or anxiety, which sometimes lasts for a few days. And, when your central nervous system gets back in line, you may find that you have a keener sense of smell, taste, hearing, colour and depth perception.

Tips to help:

Try relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing.  Also keep up with the running but pace yourself.  Drink plenty of water also.  For more tips on coping check out Milestone 4 in the program.

Members, please share your tips for managing stress while quitting.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So, I made it through hell week and thought it went quite well.  I felt energized, motivated and unbeatable.  But, day 9 and 10 have been tough.  I am really struggling to remain positive and remain focused on my goals.  I don't want to start smoking again.  Its disgusting and I enjoy this new healthy me. I just am having a hard time coping with stress.  To release steam, I have been running, running, and running.  Except the exercise is exhausting me and I worry that if I push myself too hard I will just end up injurying myself. 

Does anyone have advice on some healthy coping mechanisms?  My house is spotless, my running shoes are out of retirement, and the pages of my text books have been frantically turning.  Yet, I still feel anxious and stressed out.  Help.

~Alice

Reading this thread: