Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Never Run Away

16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
moss Your Dad was correct, isn't it strange how our parents words become more sage as we ourselves age? nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 395 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,147.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 9

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

moss Hello there my friend, so good to see you and to see that your meter is ticking along like a well oiled machine. Thank you for your kind remarks on the writing. It is something that I do enjoy and this process (ending the nico facination) lends itself to the act of writting well. I am always amazed at the depth to which this addiction burrows itself into our beings. Quitting takes a great deal of desire and personal fortitude. Each person seems to face the challenge in a unique way, but underlying all of that is a commonality of experience that all addicts understand. It's those common threads that facinate me and that is what I try to write about. In any case I am very proud of your progress, I know full well the difficulty each new day brings. It does become easier to manage over time. But I think you know that already... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 395 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,147.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amen and amen to that! It also goes nicely with today's quote of the day that I thought was spot on: [quote] Winners take chances. Like everyone else, they fear failing, but they refuse to let fear control them. - Nancy Simms [/quote] Thanks for the wisdom nonic! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1267 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5,701.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 98 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$36,965.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 639 Hours: 8

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic - Another great post that gets right to the heart of the matter. You sure have a gift of saying what a lot of us know and feel but we don't know how to use the words so eloquently. Blue cloud asked you a few weeks ago if you were a writer by profession and I read your reply. I wondered that myself. Thank your grandmother for all of us. And give yourself a giant sized pat on the back as well for your writing ability and for reaching your own goal. My father used to say "do not walk away from a problem, rather run towards a solution." I also filed this away but have to say it has been very helpful as I run towards my own reasons and goals. Gratitude Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 990 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $222.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some good reading here :) Thanks for sharing Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1995 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,900 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,982.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 285 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$14,570.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 6

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love it! Thanks Nonic! Very inspiring :) Josie, Health Educator
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
very well put! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 151 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $453.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
16 years ago 0 650 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So true, very well said as usual Nonic Loulou [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 387 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,384 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,644.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 37 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
When I was a much younger man an older person once told me, "never run away from anything, always be running toward something." Of course at the tme, being in my prime and knowing all there was to know, I filed this away in the "wisdom from some old guy file". Well fact of the matter is that elderly gentleman could not have been more correct. This little piece of advice is four square on the mark when considered in relation to the process of quitting smoking. We do tend to want to run and hide when the desire for a cigarette becomes unbearable. This is particularly true in the early stages of cessation. I feel very deeply for anyone going through the experience. But if we are to remain smoke-free we can not run away from the discomfort we feel by giving in to the desire and continuing the cycle of addiction. No, what we must get firmly in our minds is that we are never going to run away from the addictive predicament we have created for ourselfves. However, as the old man said we should run toward something. We can run toward the day when smoking never comes to mind (I promise you that day does come). We can run toward the sense of power we feel in our very souls when we know we have finally put out the last cigarette. We can run toward the goal of saving huge amounts of money, that otherwise would have gone up in smoke. We can run toward the goal of finally cleansing our lungs of the tar and grime that years of habit have deposited. We can run toward the hope that we will be on the planet abit longer, perhaps to see our grandchildren come of age. We can run toward many things, but we can never run away from the knowledge that we are addicts. So pick your goal, pick the thing you wish to run toward and run baby, just run. Bless all of you who are struggling tonight... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 394 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,137.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: