Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Day 5 - Need advice

16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
moss Glad you made it past the two smokers, but that is an awful difficult thing to do. I was a hermit for about six months after my last bit of the weed. I could not go to a bar or entertain the thought of having a drink (there is symbiosis nicotine to alcohol)...For some reason one is compatible with the other. Thats why we should refrain from drinking anything at all until we get a firm grasp on the addiction. In any case you are a braver man than I am and I am glad that you refrained and made it through... Oh yea this has been one big therapy session for me...I never realized how much of my emotional life was controlled by smoking. In hind sight it is rather obvious, but while I was going through the initial stages of this thing, I was rather perplexed and had to learn quickly how to steer my boat without the self medicating ritual...In any case you are doing fine, just keep focused and don't think to much about the future, if there was ever a time to "be here now" it is as you leave the smoking cocoon for good. Stay well, there are many good souls here who will invest in your quit. Stay in contact with the group, it will help greatly... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 335 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,050 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,517.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$66,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 5

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Once again - Well Said and thanks for your thoughts Nonic- It has truly helped a great deal to think of this as a learning experience instead of just quitting smoking. The big challenge seems to be learning to think about the day to day challenges in a different light, from a different angle, through a new mental lens. And it has been more than interesting. Scary, frightening, positive, negative, exhilarating, good for me, poor me, all of these and more each day so far. And I have not smoked. Quite the challenge last night. Spent a couple hours at a party with 2 smokers on each side of me. I was nervous about going but decided to look at the demon eye to eye. Watching them made me more determined. Gratitude to you all - Moss Hey, I'm learning how to type. This post only took an hour and a half. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 90 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss, Stay in the present. I bet your thinking in the future likewise. The future will take care of itself.....it's the present that needs distraction. It's one day at a time....and keeping saying over and over again.. "I DON'T GOT TO QUIT......I GET TO QUIT!!" A reward is definately in order. They work and are needed. When you smoked you got your little rewards all day long. Now...when you give yourself a little reward it produces the same recognized feeling in your brain. Treat yourself to a latte....a magazine you rarely buy for yourself...or a movie your've wanted. Trust me...it works. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 308 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,376.76 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 40 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
moss Good for you...Remember above all things that you are not alone. This little journey will be lived on many levels. You know full well that we did not choose to suck down a poison because we made a rational decision to do so. We did it because we needed something, and that is what we chose...The good news is that we are getting a second chance to make that choice. How often in life does that occur. Let me think, how about never... This is your second chance to take another road. However, that road too will be full of challenges and trials. Right now you are under the full weight of withdrawal and that will give rise to many things. But if you stay aware of what you are trying to accomplish and begin to deal with the root causes of smoking you will be liberated. Use distraction, and alternate ways of thinking to get around the urges. Drink water and more water until you can drink no more and then drink more...The water is in itself a distraction, but also aides in cleansing the system. Think of all the good in your life and that which is negative as a sort of measuring rod against the good. You will find that in the end the good will out weigh the bad. If a student gets you all wound up, separate yourself from the needs of the student, he or she has their own difficulties to overcome and beating yourself up over that will do neither of you any good. Most of all think of this quit as a great gift to yourself and secondarily as a wonderful present for all who love you in this life... Remember, there are two parts to this, the physical withdrawal is rather straight forward, the emotional bit is more elusive and can only be mastered by the one going through the experience...But it is the more interesting of the two and calls for some wide open thinking on your part... I wish you well...post often here and try to keep a journal it will serve as an historical record for you to understand just how far you have come... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 335 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,050 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,517.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$66,496.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1302 Hours: 5

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aww, thanks Moss. How nice of you to think of me. I'm ready. I have purchased my last pack of cigarettes, and I have all sorts of gum, hard candy and bottled water all stored up and ready. I am spending the day tomorrow turning my house into Christmasland, so I plan to keep very busy. How is Day 6? You have nearly made it a week now! Keep going - remember, you're my hero! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday was a whirlwind of emotions, triggers, cravings, but I did not smoke. Nonic, I printed your post and kept it in my shirt pocket all day. I only read it about 30 times. That one really resonated with me. My wife read it too and said "Yup". She knew that one would connect with me. She reminded me I have to think everything to death. I'm still working on that little quirk. Some things are actually black or white and I still see the gray in between. Once again, Thanks all for the encouragement and words of wisdom. On to day 6. Moss Terri, Good Luck and Keep your head high tomorrow. You will be in my thoughts. You holler anytime you feel like it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.13 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss Hello again... I guess you did get a little help!! Hope all went well today. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moss I do hope you got through the day.. So sorry that I just found your post...I had to work today "black Friday" and I do not know where the rest of the Gang is?????????? Are you still around?? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Moss, Great job with 5 days! I know it's so hard, but you are doing it! I know that my 5th day (the first week, really), was miserable. I got so sick from the withdrawals that I thought I had a flu. I'm not sure what you're going through, but I found the following things helpful: 1. chewing a lot of gum 2. chewing on popsicle sticks 3. cutting a straw in half and "smoking" fresh clean air 4. sleeping as much as I needed 5. reading a lot 6. taking walks 7. posting here constantly-- and reading posts too. I think that is what made this quit stick. We are all rooting for you. Keep going-- one minute at a time if you have to. I swear it gets better. Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119.34 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You don't know me, Moss, but if it helps you, you are kind of my hero. I picked a quit date for Sunday, and I think you quit the day I found this site, so I've been following your journey pretty closely to see what I'm in for. Five days sounds like a pretty amazing accomplishment to me right now - it actually kinds of means more than the people with several hundred days. Good for you! I hope that by this time next week I will have be able to do what you have done so far. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] -28 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $-14.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] -5443

Reading this thread: