Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Low expectations

17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay, so I have been barely 14 hours without a smoke. I have been awake since 2 a.m. unable to sleep which has always been the case in other quits. Soon my emotions will be close to the surface instead of buried in the smoke. My logical side says that I want this quit very much. My addict side keeps screaming at me about how much I love to smoke and how much I need to smoke to keep my depression in check. I've been here before too many times to count. I have disappointed myself each time and had pretty much given up the idea of ever quitting. Just take the consequenses. The thing is, I DO want to live. I have a grandson that's 13 and has a right to have a grandpa around to cheer him on in sports and of course do the videos! My kids still need me even though they are grown. It's funny how much smarter I am now that they have grown up :-) Yes, I have very low expectations with this quit, but I also have hope. All smoking reminders have been removed from everywhere and I'm sucking on my inhaler. I am going to need a LOT of help. Somebody could help right now by telling me how to download the SSC IM program. It says I can do it from my glove compartment, but I must be blind because I'm not seeing it. Anyway, Thanks to anyone reading my ramble. As you know, rambling helps sometimes. Greg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Well, it's been 37 hours. I slept good last night. I'm not craving this morning, but I know it will come. I'm ready with my inhaler just in case. It's finally warming up some here in Minnesota, so today I think I'll get outside for a walk. I used to walk all the time, but have gotten out of the habit. Plug my favorite music into my player and just take a nice walk. I live in a very beautiful part of the country. Seems I don't appreciate things as much when I'm nico-medicated. Time to live again maybe. Anyway, I hope you all are having a good day! Greg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 45 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
I am using the Nicotrol inhaler. It's taking the edge off. I appreciate the support penguin. Rusty...what can I say. You and all my friends elsewhere are always a tremendous source of support and caring. I am REALLY going to need it. I'm so happy to see you here. I and this site need successful quiters here for advice and support. THANK YOU from all of us. I actually took all this coming week off, so I can be away from my biggest triggers through hell week. I'll think of it as health week. :) Thanks again to both of you for the encouragement! Greg
Well, I've made it through the first 24 hours. I've been through this so many times that it is hard to find new forms of distraction. I wne through the the program (again) before the last cig yesterday. I did take the pledge which I don't believe I ever did the other times. The whole thing is in my hands. In the end, I'm the only one that can make this work. I sure am glad I have this palce and other good friends to help me through. Thanks for all the encouragement! Greg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nico, Hi...I'm Mercy. I have quit sooooo many times I must be an expert!! HaHa. Didn't Mark Twin say...."Quiting is easy...I've done it thousands of times" LOL I have learned beyond a doubt that it is sooooooooooooo much mental. Ya know what is working for me this time??.... Just plain old not giving it any creedance. Making light of it...or not making a big deal of it. I dismiss it....don't think about it. The thought comes and I move on to something else. I don't mean to make light of your cravings. Believe me...I have failed so many times. I know if I leave failing open as a possibility then it seems to happen. So far I just go about my business and deal with any thoughts "one at a time". I don't look to the future...just the now. Be soooo proud of yourself. Day one is hard. Give yourself a chance to see how it does ease up. It gives you confidence when you get time on your side. ... especially when you see your days get better. I did have a harder day two days ago for some reason. But now... like you, I am proud I didn't cave in. Your day ONE... turns into day TWO...then day THREE....and you want to see it say day 365!! You can do it. We can do it together. Check out the website...whyquit.com You'll be so glad you quit. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 557 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120.69 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very insightful post, tryagain. Post like that is what got me through the whole first week. Good luck, Nicoaddict52, you can do it. You're not alone here. The first few days I just sat on this site, reading and learning about this addicttion but now in just 12 days I am not thinking about smoking by minutes or hourly just a couple of times a day. I know you can do this just take it a minute at a time. There is only one option! N. O. P. E. Not One Puff Ever [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are headed in the right direction. Choose to stay on the path. Best of luck to you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 606 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greg: I hear you and I understand...I too am what I call an "emotive" smoker...I believed for to many years that nicotine was a quick fix without the mental pics, if you know what I mean...I believed that it numbed the pain of being a human being...It was all a lie... The best that I can do for you in your struggle is assure you that I and many others here understand your words and feel deeply for your situation... By traveling this road with us everyone who loves you in this life will recieve a beautiful blessing from your work, however, that can not be your only motivation...You must become your own hero in this fight and succeed because you have chosen to succeed...If you have a gram of faith in yourself, I promise as the days go by that gram will grow to be an ounce of hope and then into a pound of success...and finally into a ton of joy... Here is something I wrote earlier in the quit that may convince you that you are not alone...I do send it with a prayer that the words will resonate in your own being... Smoking has been a part of me for a long long time. And make no mistake; I have been its willing companion. An amazing magician is this substance. When I was hurt it told me everything would be alright as long as I didn't actually feel the pain. And I believed it. And I never learned to grieve. When I got angry it told me everything would be alright as long as I didn't defend myself. And I believed it. And I never learned to communicate. When I was afraid, it told me everything would be alright as long as I never tasted the fear. And I believed it. And I never learned to cope. When I was happy, it convinced me it was my friend as long as I took it to the party. And I believed it. And I never felt total joy. Keep walking Greg, YOU CAN DO THIS... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 55 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $385 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Nico, Just remember whose in control here. You get to decide and you are strong enough to overcome this terrible addiction. Don't let nicodemon win because if he does you will lose in so many ways. See the 'life gained' portion of my quit meter? If you hold on to this quit by remaining strong and stubborn you too will see those numbers rise and those days mean extra days with your grandson. Don't cheat him of that time. Both of MY grandparents died from smoking related cancers and I never got a chance to know them. I was cheated because of nicodemon. You still have a chance to change your future. Take it. N.O.P.E Kristi ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 131 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,052 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $463.74 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$544,980.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4202 Hours: 12

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nico How are you doing now? Quitting will quite likely be one of the hardest and most rewarding things you have ever done. Perhaps you need to step back, look at what caused you to stumble in the past and find ways to get past this hurdle. If it's the initial pain of withdrawal - know that this will pass. Is it the thought of living the rest of your life without cigarettes - Perhaps you are thinking too far ahead right now. Addicts often quit one day at a time. Don't worry about the problems of tomorrow - just concentrate on getting through today. Has quitting always led to depression. Perhaps you need to talk to your daughter about medications to deal with this. Quitting is a learning process. You obviously really want to do this or you wouldn't be here. Please know that there will be lots of support here for you whenever you need it. All the best on your journey. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 159 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,193 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $795 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: