Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Depression

17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for all your advice, it has helped. Staying busy has helped the most (idle hands and all). I have found that talking to friends and family has helped too. Again, Thank you all! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 403 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $104 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How does one cope with the feelings of depression? I'm not going to go see a "shrink" nor am I going to take a mind altering medication. Any ideas other than those? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 349 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too have found that just staying busy has been the key. I didn't even have to think about it. When I first quit , I was like a wild woman around the house, doing the kind of housework that is considered "spring cleaning" . And even though you feel depressed and probably don't want to exercise. It is amazing how much better you feel when you jump into something like that. I ride one time around the block with my kids and my adrenalin is pumping.... Find something you enjoy and just throw yourself into it head first.... And keep posting! We're here for ya! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 739 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $192 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
knowing that it is part of quitting can help. For different people it can be for different reasons: taking away one's crutch to handle this emotion can make it feel worse as you experience it rather than stiffle it with a cigarette. some of us have spent our entire adult life grabbing for a cigarette rather than experience circumstances and/or feelings that we feel are unpleasant. so I would ask if you are talking about depression r/t stopping smoking or depression now that smoking is not an option to handle the depression. I would recommend having someone(s) to watch out for you. Someone who can give you space, allow you to wallow a bit as you discover ways to experience and work through unpleasant feelings, but who will grab you out of a dark despair should you find yourself there. Because if you do end up there, you might find it difficult to come out by yourself. A little blue for a while is OK, but if you find yourself staring at the wall in you PJs for weeks - you're gonna have to break down and get some help. and - keep posting. even when you don't feel like it. It takes all of us for each of us. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 286 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I like your list Danielle. Now if only we could hear back from Gordonfan24 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gordon How are you doing? Spending too much time by myself is a definate NO when it comes do depression. Exercise, spending time with friends and getting lots of rest are extremely important. Please check in and let us know if you are okay... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $690 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gordon, We are happy you are starting to feel better. Please continue to keep us updated on how you're doing! Danielle ________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gordonfan24, You've gotten some great advice from your fellow quitters! Remember, many quitters report getting the blues throughout their quit. Here are a few other natural mood lifting strategies: * Eating chocolate * Listening to music * Helping someone * Massage therapy * Making sure you get enough sleep * Laughter * Aromatherapy * Eating well as many vitamins are responsible for good functionning of the brain and subsequently your mood. Hope you feel better soon. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A couple of things that could help. 1) Don't drink alcohol. Can make you want a cig, but alcohol is also a depressant. 2) Exercise, getting some natural adrenaline flowing in your body. 3) Eating the right foods could help, staying away from garbage food. Like fast food, and anything with a lot of trans fat. Some say that St. Johns Wort is a natural remedy, but I personally wouldn't trust it. Besides that, you just may have to fight through this part of the quit until your body levels itself out from the cravings and feelings of not smoking. Whatever you decide, do not give up. You are early in the quit, actually heck week, and your body and mind are still adjusting to this new lifestyle. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully the depression lightens up in the coming days and weeks. Freebird ~'~ P.S. I did go on medication and it did help me, but that is my quit. Your quit is your own and do it however you need to. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 124 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,739 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $520.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LOTS of good healthy physical activity. Working for 20 to 30 minutes per day can actually do the same thing as a dose of those "mind altering drugs", Check with your doctor before starting any kind of physical regime. Another addition, SUNSHINE, brilliant natural light and fresh air can really help to create a different "state of mind". Healthy eating also helps. Plenty of fresh vegetables, reduced fats and oils and maintaining a wholesome diet of healthy food made by a person and not a machine. Pursuit of activities that provide pleasure. So if you knit, read, draw, paint, build motorcycles, ride horses, do whatever stimulates the parts of you that feel pleasure and accomplishment. These activities can fill you mind, psyche with all of the things that are the opposite of depression. No need to see a "shrink" or take a drug, simply learning to take care of yourself in a new and different way can create all the difference in the world. Let the pursuit of happiness fill the void. Ciao Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 343 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,591 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2744 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41

Reading this thread: