Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Starting Over

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice Rusty & Free and others. I've listened and re-started my "quit" 10/3/06 at 10:00 p.m. So far so good, although I was extremely crabby last night....I had to warn my family to leave me completely alone! this morning I'm having a strong craving but am praying that I can overcome it. Everytime I think of something to replace it, I realize that NOTHING can replace it!!! That's a bummer to deal with.... I saw a show on addiction the other night. They showed these meth addicts talking about their addiction and lifestyle and their hope to quit living that way. I couldn't help to see the comparisions in my own life---except, I wouldn't ditch my kids for cigarattes I proudly thought--but then I had an epiphany---if I die because I can't stop smoking and contiue feeding my nicotine addiction, aren't I just the same as the meth head??? I mean, dying of cancer would be the ultimate "ditching" of your child, right?!? Right now, it just helps me to remember how I felt watching that and the reasons I truly want to quit!! Good luck to all those craving today like I am---I think we can do it!!! Sarina [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 50 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's been another 24 hours and I'm still hanging in here!!! I think I've surprised myself, but before I get all high and mighty, I know an overwhelming urge could hit me at any moment....thanks for the advice to "stay in the moment".....because some moments for me are incredibly lucid and satisfying to know I've started this and intend to see it through! Good luck to all today! I'm thinking of everyone who is craving as I am. Hang in there! Sarina [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $32.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sarina CONGRATS for your decision to take the first step again! It's really not easy but... You CAN DO IT!!! We are on the same boat here and facing almost the same problems :)
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I never thought about that analogy...but it's very true. Sometimes we think that the only ones we are hurting is ourselves. The first few days are killers but they do get better....Congrats on Day 1! Use the tools on this site, post often, ready often and stay close....we're here with ya! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 498 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WTG Sarina!! Keep those reasons close by you! Make sticky notes of the reasons and plaster them whereever you used to smoke. I have a piece of paper attached to my fridge that says, "Eat some grapes! And NO SMOKING!" T. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 144 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$36,060.98

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 420 Hours: 1

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your analogy between the meth and nic addicts was very enlightening to me. Hmmmmmmmm...you are absolutely right. I never really thought of it that way (ditching the kids), but you are definately right! Really got me to thinking. I am so glad you are quitting. We can do this! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,373 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GREAT JOB, SARINA!!! Keep up the good work! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,427 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $224 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sarina, Congratulations on a new quit and a new beginning! Sounds like your epiphany has helped you reaffirmed your quit. Nothing to replace it with? What are you passionate about? What have you always wanted to learn or to try? You could make a list and start encorporating them as part of your rewards? Keep battling those cravings. Use gum, tall glasses of ice water, deep breathing... whatever works best for you. Keep persevering, you can do this! Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sarina - There is really no difference in our addiction and that of a meth addiction - or a needle hanging out of our arms... to me anyway... Addiction is addiction... The good news is that this place offers some amazing clarity, coping skills and just loving support!! Go back and read old posts here... that's how I made a Quit my first and last, and that's how many of us who don't struggle today built our coping skills for the challenges... Distractions will keep you sooooooooooo Quit when a crave hits, or a tough time presents itself... so make a list of good, powerful distractions and keep them in your back pocket, dear one! Stay strong and stay focused! AND ask for support when you need it... One more important thing- STAY IN THE MOMENT... Love and Light!! Healer [url=[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/nosmoking.gif[/IMG]][IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/healerwithin/nosmoking.gif[/IMG][/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 214 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,509 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $995.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48

Reading this thread: