Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Want a cigarette so badly

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi aubanki, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My mother has emphysema. Never smoked a day in her life. She is suppose to be on oxygen 24/7, but won't wear it all day like she is suppose to. I'm sure glad you quit when you did. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,483 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $328 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$54,549.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5961 Hours: 7

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

What we think mentally can and does effect us physically. It sounds to me as if you still feel you are giving up something, instead of giving yourself a gift. It sounds like you are concentrating on not being allowed to smoke something that does not offer you one single positive thing for you or your life, instead of concentrating on all of the negative aspects of smoking which make your quality of life very poor and can lead to death. Have you replaced your bad habit with good habits? Have you been practicing new ways to cope with your emotions since you do not smoke anymore? Have you been rewarding yourself? You know you can have a nasty cigarette anytime you want. But why the hell would you want to? If you want to change your life, change your mind. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,444 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $324 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$54,549.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Wow! Excellent post Stockport! Thank you very much for that information. That is sure to help a lot of people. Knowledge is definitely power. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,474 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $328 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$54,549.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aubanki, Sorry to hear about that but am really glad your taking a proactive approach! Please keep us updated. Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 181 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow!!!printing this one!!!!!!!! thanks jan x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 85 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �12.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It has been 6 1/2 months, so why do I still want a cigarette so badly. Lately it does not matter what I do, I want a cigarette. when I wake up, the first thing I think about is going out to have a cigarete, when I drive, visiting friends. It is so bad, that I have even said after I have a cigarette. If cigarettes were available, I know I would have one, in fact right now I want to go out and buy some. Why after all this time am I having these crazy urges. I have done the deep breathing, drinking water, waiting for the urge to go. But they just keep coming. It is actually worse now then a few months ago. Would it help to use some Nicoderm gum when I get these urges. I know that everyone is going to say that this is a mental problem. But why do I get knots in my stomach, and a shortness of breath feeling when I have these urges. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 197 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,566 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $717.08 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your encouraging comments. That is the one thing that I really like about this site. Got a call from the walk in clinic about my chest x-ray yesterday after I did my post. Apparently I have the start of emphysema, so that is why with all this hot muggy (smog) weather, I have been have so much trouble breathing. At least now I know the reason. I called the lung association, and they gave me the name of a program that teaches you how to breath properly and exercised to strengthen your lungs. Now I really do have a good reason to stay smoke free. The doctor said it was a good thing that I had already quit smoking and to make sure that I do not go back to smoking. Will let you know if I get into the program, and how it goes. Thanks again for all you support. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 198 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,579 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $720.72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW Thge information about hormones and emotion is worth looking into and doing some research on. Thanks Phillip P.S. Thanks Aubanki for posting this information and keeping us informed and up to date. The information contained and exchanged is invaluable to me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 166 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1245 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aubanki These urges come and go. They were there for me a few weeks ago and they just seemed to come out of the blue and then they left. I found some other things to do. I would not take any form of NRT you would be introducing nicotine back into your system. Perhaps you can do some other thing hard or chewy candies or some other way of getting through. For me right now the heat really triggers me and I simply go to a place that is cool and there is no smoking. I also reward myself continuosly. Keep posting, keep fighting and stay strong. Phillip :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 165 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1237.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Aubanki, Something that may explain your recent 'cravings' I have been researching smoking and quitting for the past four years, Something i discovered recently is that the feelings we had when we wanted a cigarette, feeling trapped, wanting to run away, that empty insecure feeling in the pit of your stomach, anxiety, out of control feelings. were all the same feelings you would get when the fight or flight reaction is triggered. The fight or flight reavction is the thing that happens when we feel threatened or in danger. The thing that starts this is a hormone called Cortisol. For instance if you are afraid of dogs and you saw a large dog walking towards you the fight or flight reaction would be triggered. It would place all your systems on high alert ready for you to fight it or run away to safety. Once you reached safety another hormone is released (DHEA) and everything returns to normal. The interesting thing is that inflammation also triggers the same fight or flight reaction. This means that if you have inflammation and it suddenly flares perhaps due to the weather or what you have eaten it will make you feel the same as when you smoked. All those feelings that you mistakenly called nicotine withdrawal were in fact the bodies natural way of coping with fear and inflammation. This is why many people suddenly get a 'crave' many weeks, months or even years after they quit. It would also explain why you suddenly felt like this. However if you understand that these feelings you now have really do not have any connection with smoking at all. It is just your body doing what it is supposed to do. It will hopefully take some of the fear away about starting again beacuse you were 'craving' Hope this helps [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1630 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 32,608 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �7335 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 235 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56

Reading this thread: