Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,696 Members

Please welcome our newest members: aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH, Sav, TNIKKA

Question about Emotions

18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My greatest quit was 120 days and it went away around day 108 or 110 or so....unfortunately that made me let my guard down and when I went through a tough time in my life I had one or two....over a year later that has translated into 3-20 every weekend!! Now I am close to having to start all over again!!! So dont slip!!
18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been quit 83 days now and am still experiencing a lot of mood problems as in impatience with myself and others and always feeling on edge if things don't go exactly as planned and just downright irritable and testy. When does this feeling go away? What can I do to find the "patience" I used to have as a smoker. mountain1
18 years ago 0 107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mountain, First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your 84 days quit! That is so great! Second... When the negative emotions hit, I continually tell myself I can NOT trust my emotions AT ALL on the surface. I make myself wait to act on anything because I know that I am probably seeing things in a way that is different from reality. Now of course, I'm talking only about the negative emotions. I also continually remind myself that this is MY QUIT. That no one else did this to me..I did it to myself and therefore it isn't fair to take it out on other people. My son's have commented several times that this quit is so different from previous ones because I've not snapped at them at all during the past 41 days. I'm very please with myself for that! :) The positive emotions??? I WALLOW in the positive emotions! I allow myself to cry with joy, compassion, love and all those things that make me generally happy. I don't even try to cut them off or hide them. I wear my tears with great pride because I know that I am getting better with each session of watery eyes. And when it gets really bad...I come here to be with other folks who are going through the same thing...it helps tremendously. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 415 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $65.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 208 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am too and I'm at 95 or 96 days. It is getting better, but I still have bad days. I'm reading all of these suggestions along with you. I just thought that I'd post so that you know you are not alone on this one. I feel like I am coming out of what was a pretty real depression. I chose not to take an antidepression in hopes that my brain chemistry would adjust on its own. Some days I still consider taking welbutrin or something like it. But, generally my mood is getting better with time. I'm pretty amazed at how much this has affected my mood. I never really assoicated smoking with my attitiude, but now I know that it affected a lot. I think the upcoming sunny days will also help, although now I have to undo my assoication of smoking with my sunny day activities. This is quite an adventure! Hang in there, we will make it. Congrats on your 83 days.. you are almost at 3 months! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,931 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $679 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mountain1 I went through this same moodiness for about 2 months. At first I thought it was going to pass soon, then I realized what was really behind it. I wasn't sleeping well at nite, I would wake up every couple hours. That of course was causing my moods throughout the day. I ended up taking an over-the-counter sleep med called "Melatonin". It helped so much and once I got a few nites of 8 hours of sleep my moods were gone. This may not be what is causing your moods, but just a reminder to look alittle deeper into the cause of the problem. Good luck! (to you and everyone around you) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 112 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,688 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $470.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mountain, As smokers, we dealt with our emotions by smoking. Now that we no longer smoke, we must find new ways of dealing with our emotions. Sometimes this is not easy and takes time. It usually doesn't just happen by itself... you need to actively find new ways to deal with your emotions. For many of the side-effects of smoking, you can just "be patient" and it will subside... I have found with this particular one, dealing with emotions, I needed to actively find new ways of dealing with it. So, make a list of things you can do when you find that you are starting to get angry, frustrated, stressed or whatever, and what you will do when these things happen. Good luck! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 192 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,818 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $792.96 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Mountain1. Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on 83 (now 84) days quit. That is a super accomplishment, even more impressive because you did it on your own. I can honestly say I am in awe. :) You've gotten a lot of really good advice in this thread and your other two threads. Smoking, and your subsequent quit, involve a host of issues physiological, psychological, and in that grey, in-between area that is the brain. Like Butterfly Swimmer said, smokers used smoking to deal with life in lieu of emotions. How many times have you gotten upset with something and had a cig to calm down? Intsead of dealing with the issue, we would run away and get our fix. Now we don't have that crutch. Now we have to face and deal with these issues and we honestly don't know how, so we get frustrated and angry. Add to that the fact that our body and brain chemistries are in turmoil because something that has been a large part of their makeup (nicotine) for so many years has suddenly been snatched away. The overall result is pretty close to total chaos. I suspect nobody has ever told you about the importance of rewards. Nicotine hijacked our brains' reward/pleasure centers for so long that without it we are in a continuous state of depression. How deep depends on the person, but we all are there to some degree. Recovery tends to take 12 - 18 months. When muscles are not used they atrophy. To recover you must exercise them. When you smoked your reward/pleasure centers essentially atrophied. To speed your recovery you must exercise them by giving yourself frequent rewards. Rewards don't have to cost much, or anything at all. They just have to make you happy, make you smile and feel good inside. It can be something as simple as leaving work early because you've earned a break, or stopping off to feed the ducks on the way home, or a new CD, or a new car. The what and the cost isn't important. The warm, fuzzy is. One thing to keep in mind, Mountain, is that these feelings you are experiencing, although bothersome, are signs of healing. Embrace them for the wonderful things they truly are. Keep up the good quit. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 351 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B
18 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mountain1, Great job on your 83 Days! I went through quite the emotional roller coaster myself and I'm amazed that my friends, family and coworkers didn't banish me from their lives. Check out this thread about [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?forum=15&topic=13950]Anger and Quitting[/url], I know it helped me a lot during the first few months. This may sound like a cliche answer, but it really does get better in time ;) Also, Shevie (another member) had a great thread about the importance of rewards. I'll see if I can't round that up too... Be Proud, Be Blessed Sandra [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 641 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2884.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
  • Quit Meter

$37,134.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 642 Hours: 5

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mountain1, When you get a chance, this thread might help too [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?forum=1&topic=24919]Rewards, Nicotine, and the Brain[/url] Sandra [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 641 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2884.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$37,134.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 642 Hours: 5

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: