Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I can use your help please

18 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Sunshine. I read in another thread that you've been ill this past week. I hope you're much better now. It's good to "see" you. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 626 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $124 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
Well, I'm happy to say that I survived the trip smokefree! I had to leave so early Tuesday a.m. that I didn't have time to sit and read and post here so I printed off all your comments while I was finishing getting ready to leave for the airport. It was GREAT to have your words to read on the plane and I read them again several times while I was on the trip... I was amazed by what a comfort it was to have a "part" of this place with me. :) I wasn't able to get with my girlfriends as planned (unexpected events) but I think that that is just as well because I don't think I'm quite ready for that trigger... I know they would have agreed to not smoke if we had been together but it would have really bothered me to know that they would have been wishing they could light up... so, it all worked out. I do feel a little stronger every day so I think I'll be ready for that challenge by the time I see them in July. Thanks again to everyone - this place is soooooo awesome!
cybrduke, I like the idea of writing myself a note to reinforce my resolve. Tojo, Thanks - I can't wait to get where you are... the more days between me and my first day of the quit the stronger I'll feel. 3galeh, I think I will try to print a few of my favorite post to take with me... that's a great idea. Butterfly, Since my family is there I make it to Texas 3 or 4 times a year since moving to Florida. I'll be going back in July. I think you're right about drinking... since I don't usually drive when we're together I've always been able to be one of the "designated drinkers." Maybe this time around if we go out I'll plan to be the driver. I know without a doubt that having a drink right now would be a big trigger for me. I rarely drink but I don't think I've ever had a single alcholic drink without smoking. Good point for me to think about! I've tried to avoid triggers... this trip will put me in a position to deal with a lot more trigger situations than I've had to deal with so far in my quit. Maybe it's time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 428 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
I just spent the last 3 days with my stepson and his wife visiting us and I had been a bit worried about how I would react to being around a smoker for the first time since my quit. Luckily, he only smokes a few a day outside so it ended up not really being a problem for me. Although I did make it a point to go out with him once so that I could smell the cigarette - sounds sick but I haven't smelled one since I quit and seemed obsessed with the idea so I took advantage of having the chance. To be honest I did enjoy the smell briefly but realized I wasn't as interested as I thought I would be and it didn't "haunt" me afterward. So, I'm glad I got that out of my system. The problem is that I will be leaving in the morning to spend the next five days in Texas with family. First, it will be extremely hard for me to be away from the SSC community. (I'm strongly addicted to this site) and reading here every day has been a key part of my quit. Even when I don't have time to stay and "visit" with my own post I have spent at least a part of every day reading to help me stay focused, strong and on track. I know I'm going to feel lost without having access to the SSC. My biggest concern with the trip is that I have planned to spend one evening with my two best girlfriends - our friendship spans 20 plus years and probably 1,000's of shared smokes. Both of my friends still smoke and I know that being with them again will be a huge trigger for me. I don't have any doubt that it will be my hardest time since I quit and frankly I'm not even sure that I'm ready to be in that situation. I exposed myself last week to a "trigger" and it sent me into a real tailspin... (I drank a coke and that was the trigger) Anyway, I handled it but I felt like it set me back a week in my level of strength (and peace of mind) in the quit. So, now I'm second guessing my decision to spend an evening with my friends because even though I know I won't give up my quit I really don't want to go into another emotional rollercoaster tailspin. I keep changing my mind - one minute I think I'm just being a baby about it and should just deal with life as it comes and the next minute I think I need to do whatever I have to do to protect my quit and cancel my plans with them so that I w
Islandgirl & Josie, Thank for giving me more food for thought. I appreciate your input. Butterflyswimmer, thanks for that link. After reading that link I'm even more sure that I need to be cautious right now. Sunshine, Thanks a million for the vote of confidence. :) Healerwithin, I'm glad that you said what you did. My intuition tells me that I am definitely not ready to spend time with them yet... it's too soon in my quit and I'm not feeling strong enough yet. I've tried to argue with myself about it - I get angry sometimes for not being strong enough yet. But, it does no good to beat myself up over it - I guess I just need to accept where I am and protect the quit no matter what. I know they'll understand and be there for me 100%. I'll spend more time with them when I return in July and I'm sure by then I'll be ready to jump in with both feet. Contemplating all of this over the last few days has made me realize that even though I say that I have embraced my quit as a good thing I am still angry and I still see it as a punishment to have given up smoking. I need to spend some serious time getting a grip on my thinking. It's like I know intellectually that the quit is a good thing but the emotional part of me is feeling deprived... I have to face that and deal with it very soon! Thanks all - have a great smokefree week! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 438 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I'm late... but welcome back bluepanda!!! And look at you... one month plus of not smoking!!!!! Congrats to you! N.O.P.E. Ron I'm proud of you as well! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,868 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $357.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bluepanda - Dear one, this is a time to be gentle w/yourself - listen to me...gentle down the energy around you... You are very vulnerable right now, and you need YOU. You need gentle compassion - so, be compassionate with yourself. You need patience and understanding ~ so be patient w/yourself. Be kind and gentle with yourself... When we are struggling, we need to be loved. Love yourself unconditionally. You don't have to know all of the answers right now. Just stay in the moment, and don't get ahead of yourself. One moment at a time... Love and Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,782 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $232.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi bluepanda - What does your intuition say? Your intuition will never mislead you, dear one... I know that for me, if I were going to spend time w/friends who still smoke, I would definitely ask that they not smoke while we are together...and I would let them know why I am asking. Friends understand... Give your friends the opportunity to support you! Protect your Quit with everything that you have, bluepanda - whatever that means, each day, each moment. When I make decisions to protect my Quit - no matter what those decisions are (I am putting off a wonderful vacation to Malibu, CA as I am not comfortable yet w/going AND protecting my Quit) and I don't see this decision as 'being a baby' ... protecting your Quit means doing everything, each moment, each day, to keep your Quit safe and making sure it doesn't get hurt and nothing happens to it... So, dear one, what does your intuition tell you? Trust it, always. You can do this... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,769 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $232.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bluepanda: I just went through this situation this weekend. I met with most of my girlfriends from high school - and they all smoke! They couldn't believe that I had quit - but they were very supportive (as they were puffing away)LOL! It was hard at first but it did get better as the evening progressed. They just got stinker! You have to be very, very proud of yourself for owning your quit! You can do this! I loved the suggestions that you print out your favorite posts from here and take them with you. What a great idea! I wish I had thought of that myself. Take Care and let us know what happens. Old Friends are ususally the best kind. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 624 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $124 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5861 Hours: 14

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bluepanda, welcome home, we are so happy that you had a safe trip and that all your fears were taken care of. And just look you still have all of your days of not smoking...Smile Bluepanda, you did it.. Blessing to you, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 117 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,989 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $409.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$229,974.19

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6397 Hours: 22

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: