Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Stopping Smoking - The Simple Way

17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't even remember what it was like to not smoke.... Does this mean I am going to want to watch cartoons again? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 295 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $39.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$74,919.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6522 Hours: 11

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also read the Allan Carr book and I did really like it. I think it really really oversimplifies it and minimizes it though and if you are the type that likes to know the truth no matter how narly it is, it isn't for you. I bought his stuff about the 3 min. craves and that after 3 days it all pretty much goes away and nearly had my head blown off by a long crave on day 6. thanks to the people on this site I made it through and learned a valuable lesson from it. IT IS NOT AT ALL THAT SIMPLE TO QUIT SMOKING, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE!!! Thank you, Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 335 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$74,919.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6522 Hours: 11

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used NRT's, said screw the step down and decided to go Cold Turkey ... so what is that called? Who really cares? LOL You know whatever keeps us from smoking is what's important. As I said many times ... there are many roads we can take to get to our destination, it matters not which road we take ... what is important is that we get there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 834 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $108 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$54,487.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5954 Hours: 12

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]Breaking, Is the Carr book available at the library yet ? Mira [/quote] Yeah, I picked it up yesterday. I've read almost a third of it. And you are right, I should have written it ... LOL. So far it has not told me anything that I have not already thought to myself. I'll let you know what I think after I'm totally finished with it. (((hugs))) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 853 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$54,487.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5954 Hours: 12

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 385 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breaking, Is the Carr book available at the library yet ? Mira :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 507 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $87.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$44,951.94

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5156 Hours: 14

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think Kiwi's intention was lost along the way here. I like the advice about drinking orange juice to give blood sugar level. I wonder if I substituted cranberry juice, whether that would do the same thing? As far as the debate goes, this will be my third serious attempt to quit. My first attempt I used the patch and weaned myself off of it before the end of the alloted time period. Weaning myself off the patch was not as hard as not smoking the first 3 weeks. Even with the patch on that was difficult. I like the NOPE concept- Not One Puff Ever. My fall around my 7th month came with being at a party. My brothers and their friends were smoking and I was really enjoying the smell. I thought what the heck- one won't hurt. I took the first puff and started choking, immediately. It was like the very first puff of a cig as a teen. Did that stop me? Well, yes, I put that one out. Then a voice in my head started calling me- "You just took to deep of a drag. Do it again. Take a shallow drag." I did. Long story short- I was up two packs a day within 2 weeks. I am attempting this again. I am going through the quit workbook and I am definetly using the patch again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kiwi, and the others, I am only in the second week, but it would be certainly helpful for me read more of your experience. It really helps. Thanks, Parola [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 193 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $58.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What to do & expect after 3 weeks? Perhaps some of you (older) longer term quiters could share for us newbies what to expect. I think this post is very interesting in that it provides a lot of great information about what to expect in the beginning and in the first three weeks. As I roll through that period I would appreciate as much information about what to expect and what I can use as defenses to maintain and keep my quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 752 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $277.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I couldn't have made that first step without knowing I could rely on the patch. Plain and simple. Call me a chicken, weakling, nicotene addict, but the bottom line is I am NOT SMOKING. I know I will have to deal with the nicotene withdrawls when I come off the patch in a few weeks. But if I apply it according to how it is suppose to be used, I step down in strength, so the "cravings" should be practically non existent. My biggest fear when making that decision to quit was that I would not be strong enough to see it thru. And I told myself I could NOT SMOKE while wearing a patch. I haven't, and won't. So, whatever I need to see me thru not sticking a cigarette in my mouth and lighting up, I'll do it (providing it's legal, that is :o) I won't be "tempted to smoke" when I run out of patches, because I am already well on my way to facing my triggers which started a craving in the first place. Why would I be tempted to light up a smoke in 6 months when I'm a non smoker now? It's all mental, whether you use an NRT or not. To me, going "cold turkey" seems to be more of an invitation to start, if you are inclined that way..... I congratulate you all on going cold turkey. But don't judge those who rely on "aids" (whether it be gum, licorice, candies, walks, cold water, or NRTs). And as far as those who abuse NRTs - that's their new problem to deal with. If they want to spend another fortune on a different way to keep nicotene in their system, that's their choice. But the manufacturer's recommend you stay on the "program" for a set number of weeks, how long depends on what strength patch you begin with. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 366 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $162 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After a recommendation from the owner of the company that I work for, I went to the library and checked out Allen Carr's book. I have to say that after many attempts with pills, patches, and switching to cigars, it has been easy. I would definitely recommend the book to any smoker. It has been a month for me and my new motto is an acronym I saw somewhere else here. N - Not O - One P - Puff E - Ever That is ultimately the answer The book says to keep smoking while you read it, but I think it will help even if you have already quit. Good luck to all! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/11/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 648 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: