Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Confused

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Elise!
You already received great advice;  I can only say you that keep your ice water nearby and your hands busy. And deep breathing helps a lot too!
Congratulations! We are rooting for your success!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 124
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,860
Amount Saved: $186.00
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 4 Mins: 11 Seconds: 10

14 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are incredibly Strong elise.  I doubt I could have done that in the beginning........
I can only say try to get your friend to roll for mom.......With the great Quit you have started here......you don't want to lose it.  I know the Chantrix is helping a lot but we are still addicts.......and we HAVE to stay away from situations that can push us over the edge.......especially in the beginning!!
Stay Strong......Keep saying N.O.P.E.

Keeping the Quit
huggggggs and cooooookies
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 120
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,600
Amount Saved: $504.00
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 3 Mins: 20 Seconds: 25

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elise, welcome to the SSC!  Congratulations on 5 days smoke free!  Can you get your friend to roll for your mom?  Or somebody else?  Its about the triggers.  You have a great quit going, and I want you to keep it!  When I first quit, I avoided every possible trigger as I was a 2 pack a day for 20 year smoker.  I hid.  I avoided everybody who smoked as I didn't want to risk my quit.  But what kept me quit was coming here.  When I would walk by somebody smoking, I would come here and post.  When I had a craving, I would come here.  All I knew is that I needed to quit smoking, that I would do whatever it took to remain smoke free.  From what I read below, you have the same drive.  You want to be a non-smoker!  Please stop by as much as you need.  We're all rooting for you!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 279
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,160
Amount Saved: $2,232.00
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 17 Mins: 18 Seconds: 42

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MS,

Welcome!  You have a hard few choices to make.  Can you deal with doing this rolling without risking your quit?  Can you find someone else that will do the rolling for your mother? This addiction and journey can be very difficult and you will need support, knowledge and understanding.

We are always here to assist and it is important to look through the program and use the available tools to help guide you every step of the way.

Do what it takes, you have made the right choice.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I just quit May 21, 2009. I am taking Chantix but I have smokers who come here because I rolled my own cigarettes. When the price sky-rocketed I bought a case of tobacco for almost $500.00. I have to roll for my mom who smokes all of 3-4 cigarettes a day. My friend usually does the rolling as I messed  up my shoulder on Easter. She usually will roll about 200 cigarettes at a time. She is going to quit smoking again after our kids graduate in June. Today was the worst because I had to roll for my mom but she has arthritis and can't use the machine and I will continue to roll for her when necessary I just have to overcome my urge to smoke.  Any suggestions???

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/21/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $45.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 43 Seconds: 41

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky Hang In There!!!! I am with you 100%, as I have been having the same mental cravings and having a hard time with it.
I have the feeling that I need something, there is a void that cannot be filled with anything else. I know that this will pass.
I have faith in that and that is what is carrying me through. Just do without. I imagine a world without cigarettes, or tell myself that I can no longer afford to smoke.  I know that another month will make a difference and this latest assult will end.
Stay strong, keep quitting.
Tim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,100
Amount Saved: $302.50
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 1 Mins: 59 Seconds: 5

14 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes.  You have quit, and that is what is important.  By not joining in with the others who were smoking, you have showed great restraint.  Be proud of that!  You survived the memorial service with smokers blowing it in your face---another notch on the belt---kudos!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 216
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,640
Amount Saved: $1,728.00
Life Gained:
Days: 24 Hrs: 8 Mins: 29 Seconds: 19

• Quit Meter

$52,000.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 698 Hours: 23

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky,

The fact that you are posting this shows that you have made tremendous progress.  I always said that the level of difficulty when quitting smoking is in how you perceive smoking.  As you know I've failed many times before because I perceived smoking as something of value that I was giving up and I don't like to deny myself what I want, especially when buying cigarettes is easy.  You walk in buy them and smoke.  Hell sometimes people offer them to you.  Sometimes you see 3 1/2 of a smoke just laying there.  It's very easy to smoke.  You don't need to climb a mountain to get a feeling, you don't need to go to college to achieve a degree, this thing you want is easy to aquire.  That's why it's so hard to stop.

I remember one time I wanted to quit so bad that I left my wallet at home when I went to work.  "That'll fix that" I said.  Guess what?  People at work smoked. "Can I have one of those?"  Sure.  That was easy.  I cashed in bottles at lunch time until I had enough to buy my own.  I found a way.  I always do.

If you can accept the truth, that cigarettes are just an addictive substance that make us believe we need them than you will be free.  Think about this.  Have you ever seen someone who's addicted to herion?  I haven't.  But I've seen movies.  They make it look really good.  They can't live without it.  They will do unspeakable acts to get it.  They will forgoe all self respect and friendship to get what they want.  They will find a way.

The illusion that cigarettes are great will keep you trapped.  You're a smart, strong women.  You're almost there.  See you at the beach.

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 295
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,080
Amount Saved: $2,212.50
Life Gained:
Days: 32 Hrs: 22 Mins: 2 Seconds: 57

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky,

My sympathies are with you for the loss of your brother-in-law. Although very sad, I'm sure the ceremony to spread his ashes must have been beautiful as are the memories he left his loved ones with.

You did very well in such circumstances..............congrats on staying strong!

60 days is looking great on you............keep up the great work!

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Never really thought is could be the holiday, humm.  Thought is could be another mile stone but it is probably both.  In January my brother-in-law died suddenly.  Yesterday we put him to rest by placing some of his ashes on his favorite lake and home site.  He was so loved by so many and it was very sad. There were several people there and 90% of them smoked.  Everywhere I looked there was someone smoking and all the packs sitting around, but I did not smoke and only felt some pity for them.  I came away smoke free and lots of gratitude. 

I have struggled for so long with quitting as many of you know.  I just want it to end.  I know that for some it comes quickly (like my husband) and others it is a constant recommitment.  Oh, well let's get happy, I AM SMOKE FREE TODAY

Keeping the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 60
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 600
Amount Saved: $120.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 16 Mins: 6 Seconds: 42

Reading this thread: