Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Horrible day

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great advice everyone!

Remember your reasons and keep them close.

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone for your great tricks and advice. I made it yesterday and today was a much better day my first horrible craving came around 7pm. Went to the ocean today it always makes me feel great. I feel so much better. Thank you. Thank you Thank you.

Sweet dream to everyone  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/9/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 63
Amount Saved: $17.33
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 14 Mins: 50 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Petruchki,
Sorry you're having a hard time of it today.  You've gotten some great advice and I'm sure it will all help.  It's not easy to quit smoking but it can be done.  Knowledge is real hands on power, especially  in the beginning of our quits.  Read, read and read some more about this addiction and you'll find things that work for you to beat the cravings.  Take it one second or one minute at a time if you have to.  Keep calling out for help, post as often as you need to.  You are not alone here ever, there's always someone here 24/7...just be patient until they can reply to you. 

Distract, delay, drink water, eat, take a bath, kick, scream, break dishes...do anything you have to do but don't smoke.  Every time you get through a horrible minute is one less you'll ever have to go through.  Look at you, you're already finished Hell week!  I'm proud of you.  Keep up the great work.

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 626
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 25,040
Amount Saved: $12,520.00
Life Gained:
Days: 76 Hrs: 11 Mins: 16 Seconds: 20

• Quit Meter

$120,729.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 961 Hours: 16

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Petruchki,

I know what you mean. It seems that each day should get easier, but it just doesn't work for me. Day 7 was killer for me too. I remember asking this forum how it was possible for that day to be harder than day 1 or 2.

I also found that milestone days are harder for some reason. The demon doesn't want to let you go and he's upset that you have Hell week behind you.

For me what really helped was to go back and look at the reasons why I quit. Those hadn't changed and realizing that they were more important than smoking helped me get through the hard days.

Hang in there. It gets better.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 39
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,170
Amount Saved: $195.00
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 20 Mins: 53 Seconds: 21

15 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so sorry to hear that you are having a rough spot in your quit.  But then we do this to ourselves, don't we?  Horrible days will pass as long as you don't smoke and you don't listen to the chatter in the head. Cigarettes are powerful and the nicotine has more patience than you can image.  It will sit silently and wait for you.  I know; I have had my share of relapses.  I can tell one thing for certain, if you smoke and when you quit again you can look forward to another day 6.  Now do you really want to do this all over again?  Didn't think so.  You are getting some of rotten days behind you, please stay with it.

Do the workbook on the left.  Go for walks, deep breaths, self talk, naps, long baths, and just don't smoke.

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 15
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $22.50
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 5 Mins: 20 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Petruchki,

You can overcome the craving. When I get a urge I remind myself why I wanted to quit. Do you have a list of reason for your quit? If not now might be a good time to make a list. You can overcome the craving stay strong.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 163
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 978
Amount Saved: $798.70
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 3 Mins: 20 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Petruchki -

I know I've been there. It $ucks doesn't it?

BUT IT GETS BETTER - REALLY.

Don't give back any ground. hang tough you can do this really. Keep posting, keep reading, keep remembering WHY you put them down. DON'T LISTEN to the inner junkie talk - banish it the best you can. Walk - drink ice water, go out in the woods and yell if you need to - just don't smoke!

You can do this.

Here's something that helped me - Take a deep deep breath, as deep as you can and then blow it out through pursed lips. Do it 10 times in a row.... Seems to trigger the same response as taking a puff, and relieves some of the stress....

Talk to the doc - get the patch, get some nic gum, do whatever you need to do... You're doing the right thing.

Keep us posted, we are here to help.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 101
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,030
Amount Saved: $696.90
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 19 Mins: 33 Seconds: 0

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Petruchki,

Try to keep yourself distracted and your mind focused on your goal.

Read over previous posts. Members offer great support and advice for these difficult times.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1387 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Petruchki:
What I used to do to take my mind off the hard craves was to make a list of every thing I needed to accomplish a task I want to do.  You should make the list as detailed as possible.  As an example I washing my bike.  1) check to see how much soap I have.  2) do I know where my bucket is.  3) do I have enough chrome polish.  ETC, ECT, ET.  By the time I was half way into the list I would be so rapped up that I forgot about the craves.  Sorry this is so long but I think it will help you too.
Kaiser

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 77
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,925
Amount Saved: $96.25
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 3 Mins: 14 Seconds: 5

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Petruchki,

I had those all day craves before too in the beginning.  Try eating something with a little sugar in it, or have some fruit juice.  Get the blood sugar levels up if they are a little low.  Then, do what PM said, or, lay down and watch a movie.  You need to get your mind wrapped up on something else right now and that usually is pretty difficult to do now.   I would usually fall asleep and then a new day would start for me.  Remember, tomorrow is another day, and hopefully better.

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 314
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,420
Amount Saved: $1,177.50
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 13 Mins: 54 Seconds: 32

Reading this thread: