Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Pregnant Smoker - need support

16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Freogirl Just checking on you to see how it's going. Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 155 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,325 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $523.13 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Bonnie and everyone else. I have decided to stick with the Nicorette gum rather than trying to cut down on how many cigarettes I smoke each day. I think I'll be more successful this way. Nobody would dream of smoking in the house. It hasn't been done for over 12 years. As I said, I had given up once before for 4 years with the assistance of patches for about two weeks and then cold turkey. It seemed so easy back then. Maybe I was just more ready to quit than I am now and maybe it was more for me than for someone else. But I am determined to quit now for my baby's sake. I hate the smell of myself anyway. Thanks again. Have a good day. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/19/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.67 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and Welcome. I don't think Chantix is recommended for use during pregnancy. I used Chantix and it was a huge help. you can type into your search/browser "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking" there is a site on line .. to download the e book for free. It has been quite helpful to me along, with this site and using the glovebox, tools and the warm caring people here. I worked OB/GYN for over 6 yrs. I loved my job.. I had a stroke at age 54 and had to medically retire.. ( ok there is one reason.. Stroke..) Women who smoke have a higher risk of miscarriage, also babies of lower birth weight. Babies who live in homes with smoking have a much higher risk of developing asthma and respiratory problems, croup, bronchitis. If iver the next week you can cut down to 6 ... take 6 out of a pack and put in an empty pack.. then do that for 2 or 3 days and then cut down to 4 .... you could cut a straw to the length of a cigarette and have something to "suck' on or for your hands to fiddle around with. also red licorice.. I found ice water, ice chips, juice bars.. getting my tongue and mouth really cold. Sit and picture yourself in different situations.. as a NON smoker, think of getting all dressed up ... and smelling nice.. for the whole day. A friend gave me a hug.. she said how nice my hair smelled.. and asked what shampoo i used. ( I had shampooed the Day before) I don't smell like stale smoke.. do you want the baby to think of mommy as smelling like an ash tray.. go take a smell of an ashtray or a cigarette butt. Put your cigarette butts in a jar of water over the next 2 days... go look at it and smell it. YUCK.... that is what is going into your lungs, your blood stream... and to your baby. you get the picture.. Bonnie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
16 years ago 0 235 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freogirl I will keep you in my prayers hon to be able to stop smoking I know its hard this is a great place you have found these people help they really do we wish you the best you can do it [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/30/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everybody for your support and input. I went to a Chemist who said that the nicotine gum was okay to use because it's not a constant supply of nicotine like patches. I have been using the gum off and on but usually only have two per day because they make me feel really nauseous. I have not heard of Chantix but will certainly look it up. I have marked my quit day for tomorrow but decided there's no time like right now. I don't want my baby to be addicted to nicotine before he makes his entrance.
16 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know how difficult this is for you....you are not just quitting for yourself now...you are quitting for the wonderful life inside of you...my mother smoked when she was pregnant with me - 50 years ago - sure, i survived it - but i went on to becoming a smoker at age 12 and here i am, counting my quit days all these years later...my mother didn't know the dangers then (and yes, i was smaller than i should have been at birth..) now that we know so much - how can we not give ourselves and our unborn children a little more than we had ourselves? everytime you reach for a cigarette...go for a walk, take a nap..call a friend...read a book - write a poem...your child will thank you...your body will thank you. Good Luck..you can do it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,130 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $905.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$7,238.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 799 Hours: 22

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 311 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you found this site. I know from past attempts to quit that you have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. It's not easy, but it is simple. I have talked to quite a few pregnant ladies, and they usually tell me it's fairly easy to quit because of the baby. They say that gives them a high motivation - not to addict the baby to smoking even before birth. I know that this site is the best as far as support and information goes, so get on and post post post. We are here for you. Hugs, Denise [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/9/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 100 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $500.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry is so right on top of it.... "No one ever died from going through the withdrawal symptoms, but they do die from smoking." You definitely owe it to yourself to start saving money.. We all know the expenses we occur when a baby arrives. The biggest expense that you can come across it the health of you and your baby. Freogirl, We are all here to help, and as you were already informed..the first week is the worst. Get through that and you'll be so much happier. Just take it a minute, an hour, a day at a time. You CAN do this!! Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 173 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,920 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,089.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Freogirl!!! Welcome to the SSC and I'm sure that I speak for the rest of us in saying that this IS the place to come to if you are seriously considering giving up the NASTY CANCER STICKS!!! The program is fantastic for preparing yourself to quit!! Go throught program and go through the exercises!!! You CAN quit smoking if you really WANT to and we are all here to help you!!! To really quit, though, you have to really make up your mind to QUIT!!! Don't go into this lightly and try to convince yourself that you are "trying" to quit! You really have to have a Positive Mental Attitude when you go through the quitting process!!! You really have to be motivated!!! How motivated are you??? My motivation is: I DO NOT WANT LUNG CANCER!!! Maybe yours could be: I DO NOT WANT TO BE PUTTING OVER 3000 CHEMICALS INTO MY BABY'S BODY EVERY TIME I TAKE A PUFF!!! I think that would motivate me!!! Does that motivate you? Anyways, I would check with your doc to see if ANY of the NRT's available can be used!!! I mean, what is worse, a nicotine patch or the nicotine and the other chemicals in the cancer sticks if you don't quit? Something to think about!!! FYI, I used chantix and it really minimized the cravings enough the first few weeks for me to become a successful non smoker. Other NRT's are also very helpful, but the bottom line is that you have got to want to quit more than you want to smoke!!! Let us know how things are going and where you are at with your decision!!! We will be here for you when you decide you are ready!!! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $181.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 5

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freogirl, Welcome! We strongly encourage you to work through the exercises in your glove compartment. They will help you put together a quit plan and give you the education you need on quitting! Have you consulted with your OB about your quit? Is he/she the one who told you the patch was off limits? Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: