Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Tired and teary

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aw, Jazz [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/freeTheInternet/Smiley/x-Small/comfort.gif[/IMG] Maybe melatonin? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 314 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,135.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jazz, I, too, can totally relate. I remember reading a post that said not to get too H.A.L.T. (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) I feel like I haven't slept for over a month! Not only can I not sleep, I find I am experiencing 'restless leg syndrome' (sp?) I have tried Nytol and that did nothing for me. I started taking off the patch before bed ... nothing. I've tried nice warm baths ... nothing. Camomille tea ... nothing. The only thing so far, like Sue, has been the Nyquil. I had a respiratory thing early in my quit and took some of that for a few nights and I have to say that on those nights I slept like a baby! But how long can you safely take that stuff? I'm hoping that when I go down to Step Two of the patch next week that it might be better! Take care, Faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 950 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $456.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, Boy do I know what you are talking about. At the moment I can barely keep my eyes open at around 4PM when I am at work and I cannot sleep past 4AM when I should be sleeping. The little sleep I am getting is rife with the weirdest dreams causing me to literally jump around in the bed. I am in the gym at 6 O'clock in the morning what else can you do at this time of day? Of course part of my problem is jet-lag having flown from France to Mexico where I am at present. I have a face that looks like raw sheep's liver, between red eyes, blotchy skin for whatever reason and nose bleeds. Oh and if that wasn't enough Pimples - can you imagine at my age - and I never even had them when I was a teenager. Maybe I am going backwards in time. But Jazz like everybody says "this too will end" I know because in a previous quit I actually got past this stage and believe me the rewards are there waiting for you. When your sleep pattern eventually settles down you will find not only do you sleep better than ever but the sleep you do get is much more refreshing. No more head up the a**s mornings. However, I can't help wondering if the constant injection of nicotine through the patches etc. doesn't contribute to this phenomenon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $312.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$408,726.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8151 Hours: 7

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, I know some people have taken Tylenol PM or seratonin (maybe even an antihistamine) to catch up on sleep but you and your doctor know best. Another thing too is that you are right at the four week mark - GREAT JOB btw - and sometimes the quit just isn't as exciting as it was in the beginning. The honeymoon phase is kind of over. Quitting may not seem as exciting and sometimes family and friends stop acknowledging what an accomplishment you've achieved. I think a BIG 30 Day reward is in order for you and hubby - maybe a massage or something really really relaxing. You are doing great and as the wise ones before me said, this too shall pass ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1273 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25,460 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5,728.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 99 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
  • Quit Meter

$36,972.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 639 Hours: 11

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aww, you guys are amazing. :) I didn't have a lot of luck talking to the pharmacist. She said I could try an OTC product but that it contains pretty much the same ingredients as gravol, and if I wanted to try something stronger I'd have to see my doc. I rarely take any medications, so I am going to try this product for a couple of nights and see where it goes from there. Maybe I'll make an appt with the doc anyway - can't wait to see his face when I tell him hubby and I have been quit for a month!! LOL Lainey, you may have a point about taking the patch off too early. I was originally taking it off around 8:00, the dreams seemed to be a bit better, but then I started to not sleep at all. I was thinking it was because I was getting too much nic. from the patch, but maybe I am going through night-time withdrawals. Who knows anymore. Guys, thanks so much from the bottom of my heart for your input, support, hugs and all the rest. As you know, it means so much when you feel like you're struggling all alone, you can hop online and your friends will be there with a strong shoulder to lean on and a hand to hold. What more can I say except thanks?! Sue [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/3/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $205.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, This is a very common and temporary side-effect. When I quit, there was a general discussion about this, and 50% could not sleep and the other 50% could not stay awake! No wonder you are feeling teary - sleep deprivation is very tough. Given that you are already taking your patch off at night, I would not have thought that moving down to 14mg would make much difference either way. You are getting a lot less nicotene than from smoking anyway. This is temporary - I hope you get some luck at the pharmacists. ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Lizzie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/23/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1743 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 26,145 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,536.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 179 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$8,856.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 783 Hours: 12

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz - As all of these posts are demonstrating - you're not alone in this struggle. I remember feeling so frustrated because I had zero energy and was exhausted all of the time but I could never actually sleep. I think it's great that you're talking to the pharmacist - you deserve to get some sleep! Everyone always says "this is temporary" "it will get better". I often doubted this - it's truly amazing to find out firsthand that it's true! So, hang in there and I'll look forward to [u]your[/u] future post telling newcomers how you know firsthand that it does get better! :) P.S. I say this alot, but isn't it scary how much smoking effected our bodily functions; so that when we stop every single function needs time to heal & readjust! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 340 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,900 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,210.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,350.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 12

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jazz, I don't know about the patches but I do recognise the symptoms you're describing! I remember that feeling of being absolutely unable to do ANYTHING. I think it's common. It does pass! Everyone says it - because it's true - but obviously you'll feel better if you check it out with the chemist. Good luck and keep on keeping on. Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 308 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,928 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1,540.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, Way to go for being pro-active and going to talk to your pharmacist! They will be able to give you some good advice on how to use the patch and on some sleep aids. In the mean time, try to push yourself to do a little bit of exercise each day, it will help to tire you out and may make it easier to sleep at night. Stay strong! Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, sorry you're having trouble. Why are you taking it off so early? Some of the trouble may be, that when you take that patch off, you go through withdrawal. The dreams are vivid but they are better than not sleeping, they are only dreams. Check with your Doc, the patch steps are based on how much you smoked before you quit, maybe you just need the lower step. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 331 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,492.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31

Reading this thread: