Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,704 Members

Please welcome our newest members: josephinee, KPALMA, plouds, koalablind, Jen S

Try Cutting back- Let me know if that can work

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Jodi, that seems to have helped a lot of people in preparing for their quits. But, as Stickin said, you have to want to quit. That is the main ingredient. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 269 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,829.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 37 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 317 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do not think cutting back works either. I always would end up smoking just as much eventually. But I do think that if someone has a quit day set for the near future, it could be helpful to practice not having that after dinner smoke right away, not smoking in the car, or delaying another one of your favorite smoking times. That way when your quit day arrives, you will know that you can handle not having that particular smoke because you have practiced it before. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $310.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Aloha, Stickin, Unhooked and others - every time I cut back I just added back on until I smoked more than I did originally. "Cutting back" in the end took me from a 1/2 pack a day smoker to a pack and a half! But whatever works is my motto! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,380 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $535.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 735 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great minds, Stickin ;p When I was speaking of cutting back, I did it in preparation of quitting. I knew I could never cut back to just 3 or 4 a day and stay with it for very long. I knew I would always be back up to a pack & 1/2 a day. Just like now, one puff will lead me back to a pack + life. :gasp: G [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 147 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,410 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $705.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a difficult one. I used the patch to quit and found that that method gave me lots of time to practice the skills that are needed to face the world sans cigarettes...The gradual cut back in nicotine was what I needed. That may not be true for all...I did not cut my actual smoking down...I went from two packs a day to 21mg patch to 14mg patch and then to 7mg patch just as the box says to do...By the time I was finished with the 7mg, I had gained enough of a physical and mental routine with regard to not smoking that the rest was just about manintaining discipline and attitude. There is no one clear way of doing this...However, the shared manttra of success, no matter how you get there is "you MUST want to quit smoking more than you want to smoke"...Any imbalance in that delicate equation on the smoking side will lead to a bad result...In the end for me anyway, most of this battle is won on the mental battle field...And since that is an invisible place to the observer, the only one who can judge the validity of any method is the quitter themselves...However you get there is the right way to go, I will never ever tell someone how to quit, but I will offer any insights that have worked for me...The how always remains the responsibility of the quitter... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 355 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,650 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,727.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 64 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$66,843.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1379 Hours: 5

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I told myself more than a few times that I would cut back. But, since I am such an addict, that was so utterly impossible for me. I could never smoke just a few a day. That's why I always say one leads to ten leads to a hundred, leads to a thousand, leads to a million more. That is my truth. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 267 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,815.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 37 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It can be one big crave and it can be cutting back up. I experienced both in previous (lives) failed attempts. I likened the cut back method to somewhat of a controlled fall. There is a point where you have to quit completely or else you cut back up. There is also the one big crave, but you have scheduled outs for temporary relief . This is interesting! What else?? :gasp: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 691 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,438 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,800.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 126 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to agree with Unhooked. Although my smoking was cut in half when I made one of my many attempts and when my husband quit we didn't smoke in the house. But cutting back on anything and I do mean anything just sets everything in motion. Love the expression "cutting back up" I think it is great if it works for you and anyone else. The goal for each is to quit. So it cutting back or cutting back up works then go for it. I haven't smoked today and that makes me feel very good. Keep the Quit Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 228 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $342.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cutting back just reinforced my addiction to nicotine in the first place & made the time between cigarettes one big crave. Can you get an alcoholic to cut back drinking ? Different strokes for different folks i guess... whatever works is all good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1077 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 37,695 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7,000.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 153 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$12,597.72

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 630 Hours: 7

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whatever works for everybody. Cutting down never worked for me, because I always found a reason to cut back up! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 215 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,365.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57

Reading this thread: