Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Brainwashing

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gee....I guess I'm last...(hope not least) There is a chemical called nicotine we got addicted to. We can't argue that. Medically it is proven. The "physical" addiction, ends after the drug is out of your system. So.....what's the problem? Why all the hype over quiting. Well....just my opinion. It's because we are "re-creating" ourselves. What we previously were, lies barren. Off with the old and on with the new . We just don't know how to "package" the new us. It's a period of time we lose our identity until we create a new one we are comfortable with. It leaves us feeling vunerable, scared, lost, depressed, sad and cranky. So we feel driven to go back to "familiar" ground where our comfort level was. We are too impatient and perhaps lazy to let the new person evolve.... let alone feel at home with it. Better put: It's like trashing a comfortable worn out pair of shoes. They just not good for your feet anymore, but the new ones take time to break in. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $616.86 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I replied to the other thread, but I would like to say, The answer is to each his/her own. Something that I find easy to do, someone else might find very hard. It all depends on the person and we are all unique, and we all see it here, everyone's quit is different, because each person is different. In this context, the answer will be unqiue to each quitter and can never be wrong! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,375 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,002.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marie You could get me in a lot of trouble making statments like that !!especially since I,m leaning more and more to the spiritual side of my life :)With numbers like you have I think you were cleansed long before I got here !!! Black bears and Kodiac,s don,t get along very well so if you wan,t I,ll just stop by the heighbourhood and send him on his way ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $800.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear, we don't know eachother, I certainly don't want you to think you were wrong to post, oh no I am one who believes everyone should post about their thoughts during this process and thanks to your post I cleansed my soul on this site, see you did a good deed today . Hey maybe we're neigbours .......... there is a bear roaming around my neck of the woods lately a black bear, people are notified to get their kids from and to the school buses in case....do you know him ?....... Marie one day at a time [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 360 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,340.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear, Yes, this certainly is a hot topic (but you didn't know that) and I'm sorry if we all misunderstood what you were trying to say. It's just that we all have our very strong opinions about this because we are all so different. That's what you get on a site like this, and honestly, that's what makes it work so well... but some issues are better left alone sometimes. I do hope that you will not "keep your thoughts to yourself" just because this post went somewhat awry. You do start some very intriguing and uplifting posts that we would be very unfortunate to do without! Please don't stop posting those! Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 721 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,025 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,977.73 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can see now that making this post was a mistake.People are reading into it far more than was intended.I will not elaborate further on this topic and in the future I will keep my thoughts to myself.I hope everybody had a nice smoke free day I know I did.The golf course is a particulary peacefull place and a great spot for meditation. oops ? :confuse: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $800.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
Thanks Quitmyster, congrats on your stats, you know we do get a bit confused during the quit, this is one of the side effects. Patience and understanding is the key, be good to yourself you deserve it. Marie One day at a time [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 360 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,340.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marie, Thank you for your positive statements and insight. You are an inspiration. I hope to be where you are at within one year. Kindest Regards, QuitMyster [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 35 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$249,733.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6615 Hours: 13

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too appreciate this website; however, I remember back in Nov. 2005 (the first of three quit attempts for me), there were some people who were viscious with their attitudes and posts on this website. It turned me off completely, and I simply logged out and did not return until recently. I received an email from SSC asking me to give them feedback on whether I had succeeded. If it wouldn't have been for that email, I would have ever returned. Bear writes about how grumpy he was earlier this week going without a patch. The amount of time and effort it took him to get where he is, then goes on to post this "Brainwashing" topic. Sounds contradictory to me --- we are not in the payroll department Bear. Hope everyone is doing OK out there. I've made it through my first 7 days and will continue to focus on positive thoughts. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 35 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$249,733.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6615 Hours: 13

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi all wonderful quitters, approaching my one year anniversary smoke-free and in large thanks to this site and other means. I left this site in part because of this kind of discussion, I took it personnally because I was in a place in the quit where I was overly sensitive. Now I can talk about it openly, here is my opinion ; I think we should open up about our feelings without being judged and if judged too bad.......I feel it's best to be open and honest and tell newbies that it was hard at the beginning and that it gets better so on and so forth, this way if the newbie is having a hard time he or she won't feel that they're the only ones having a hard time and this will bring normalcy to their quit. Withdrawal is not easy, after all this is a powerful drug and as it leaves your body, you feel it and it pinches. This is the place to share and to feel understood, who else can we share the quit with, certainly not nonsmokers .... people get tired of hearing us say I quit I quit, they seem to be thinking (get over it) we do get over it but it's a process. I'm speaking from my experience, I went through anger, sadness, sense of loss, I stayed away from my smoking friends for a long time, I missed them, I felt alone except when I posted here, you can see from the number of posts, that I needed this site a lot. Now all is A ok I will be a year smoke-free I never cheated once during this time, it just never occurred to me ,I was too busy ''working on it'' all of my thoughts were going towards achieving my goal to be a nonsmoker. I am now in a different place in my life I have made new friends here I have kept my old smoking friends, and life goes on and is so much better without the smoking, I will not say without the addiction, because I think once addicted always in danger because the chanel in your brain that needs to be fed never closes.... it's up to you not to bring it to life again. I really want to thank everyone on this site who has answered my posts with patience and understanding, there are loving people here and they know who they are. The moderators are understanding and have a great amount of knowledge towards this addiction and are here to help, thank you all moderators. This is the best place to participate if you want to quit and stay quit. I hope that people will continue to be understanding and loving and encouraging no matter what,, this is the ultimate goal of this site. Love, peace one day at a time Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 360 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,340.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20

Reading this thread: