Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

What a tobacco company says

17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was looking up some info about the cigarettes I used to smoke (Vifginia Slim Ultra Light Menthols - talk about a mouthful to ask for!) and the companies web site had a section with info on health issues. This is what they said about addiction: "agrees with the overwhelming medical and scientific consensus that cigarette smoking is addictive. It can be very difficult to quit smoking, but this should not deter smokers who want to quit from trying to do so." So why do they keep making & marketing them? Can you say PROFIT? They also say that: "To reduce the health effects of smoking, the best thing to do is to quit." Hmmm. If even the company that makes them says that ... I guess we should listen. IF enough people quit and they couldn't make their money ... Maybe someday! That would make NOPE so much easier, huh? Man - I was just curious and looked at their employment info - what benefits. Paid time off for a sick kid or for school activities, reimbursement for emergency backup child care, minimum 3 weeks vacation with an option to "buy" extra days...I guess that's how they retain employees in these times. Makes you wonder why other companies can't make profits and still offer benefits like that! Anyway, point is : They know that their products are dangerous and addictive and they say we should quit. But yet there they are ready and waiting to give us our next fix. Just like the crack or heroin dealers, I suppose. It's up to us to keep quit and tell them "NO MORE!" Hope this helps to motivate anyone who is nervous about quitting or is battling bad cravings to hang in there and succeed. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $97.92 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$119,552.36

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6402 Hours: 0

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The government has known for YEARS that smoking is a danger to everyone. How long has it been since you have seen a commercial for cigs?? Yet, every sporting event promotes alcohol. Yes I agree that alcohol is as dangerous or even more so than smoking, but the amount of money the government makes off both of them is insane. The reason they will never legalize pot, herion, meth is because the government can not keep them in a controlled environment for taxing purposes. Just my opionion.... I do agree with Rusty on the fact that it is OUR decision to partake in smoking, drinking, eating, or anything else for that matter. I just think it is sad that so many of us has or does do such horrible things to our bodies and can only say Congrats to each of us for taking the steps to do our bodies right!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: