Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

What a tobacco company says

16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with you it is a real topic for discussion. Certainly one of those questions that no matter how often it is phrased, it remains difficult to answer. I can go with the idea of being protected by the powers that be, but balk at the thought that these self-same powers make money from exactly that which they are prohibiting. Here in France not only do smokers contribute to the state coffers through heavy taxes on cigarettes, but the state is also the owner of the tobacco companies. Here again as somebody mentioned the product is legal, but the act is not. We have Bar/Tabac's where alcohol and cigarettes are sold. The one you can consume to your hearts content, but the other you can only consume off the premises. We would all like to think of ourselves as intelligent people, but how intelligent is it to smoke? Spending good money on a product that has no known benefits, and which slowly and sometimes painfully destroys one's health. Many of us started smoking through what could be considered weakness, or not enough willpower to withstand pressure - advertisement, peer pressure or otherwise. You could therefore, argue for protection of the weak. Many of us have given up on our quits through weakness or inability to cope with a particular situation. Again you could argue that if the product was not available or difficult to get, we would be protected from ourselves. When we argue that it is our decision to smoke, eat or anything else we do, I am not so sure that this is entirely right. How many of us actually decided to become nicotine addicts? None of us I would say, but this is the consequence of maybe a moment of weakness. Even when we decided to go out and buy cigarettes again, after some quit time, did we actively decide to reindulge in our addictive behaviour? Again it was weakness. Now that we have our addictions in remission, we can justifiably consider ourselves strong, or at least stronger than when we indulged in our addiction. However, a moment of weakness could lead us right back to where we came from. As a smoker I found restrictions on smoking at the very least annoying. Now that I has stopped smoking I appreciate not being constantly confronted with situations where smoking is allowed. It is now easier to remain quit in some ways as it is easier to avoid smoking environments. This of course results in a curtailment of certain liberties which we enjoyed in the past. Do we accept this for the greater good? What's next on the list? Alcohol? Fastfoods? Soft Drinks? All of these are dangerous to your health and should probably be prohibited to those who cannot control their intake? Who decides? Can we really say that the prohibition of alcohol in the past in the USA or that the present restrictions on smoking really do have an effect on their use? Are there more or less drug addicts because of prohibition? Isn't it just basic human nature to avail of that which procures more pleasure no matter what the cost, or until such time as we learn the error of our ways? Usually too late! To your pens! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $442.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$408,645.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8149 Hours: 16

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
another interesting old discussion [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 322 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,189.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 238 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Last week, quite by accident I caught the last half hour of a documentary called "The Tobacco Conspiracy". I really wish I had seen the whole show. If anyone sees it listed in the tv guide, watch it! At the end of the documentary, they show a young person in a casket that is filled with cigarette packages. Words come on the screen that say, since this show began 376 people have died from tobacco use. Then a few seconds later, the number changed to 377. That was a powerful scene! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 707 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $227.08 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just realised I cant remember the brand I smoked last I always just asked for the cheapest!!! Called in the shop I used for cigs last night to buy something else and the guy immediately picked up a pack of cigs for me AFTER 265 days he remembered I was a smoker!!!! (I hadnt been in for months!) Needless to say I refused them!! me xx xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 265 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,831 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1391.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I completely agree with you on the alcohol comment... yes, alcohol causes way more problems to society than smoking ever could. But again, what about Meth, Heroin or Cocain? Should those be legal too? Again, where do we draw the line? I think that tobacco should be illegal because it not only hurts the smoker, it hurts the environment, it hurts innocent people around the smoker through second hand smoke, and it hurts the families of the loved one who dies too soon due to a smoking related illness. In my opinion, there's NO reason why tobacco should be legal and other drugs such as pot are illegal. Sometimes, it just doesn't make sense to me. But I do understand where you are coming from as well, and I'm in no way attacking you for having a different opinion... I just like to debate! :) Crave the Quit! [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterfly2.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 681 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,046 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2812.53 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Rusty. Its funny how nobody attacks the liquor industy the way they attack the tobacco industry. Then again, you cant really enjoy cigarettes responsably. :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pam, I don't want the government to protect me from myself. And I do believe that alcohol and its effects ruins far more lives, and yet it's legal. However, there is room for all opinions. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 867 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,296 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3034.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 120 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$54,714.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 3

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Rusty, I understand what you are saying, but by that token, do you think that heroine should be legal? Cocain? Meth? Where do we draw the line? Nicotine is a drug just like those others... the only difference is that it's legal. Except with Tobacco, the smoker doesn't just hurt him/herself, but also everybody in the immediate vecinity as well as the environment. So why should tobacco be legal when all of these other drugs shouldn't be? Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 681 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,042 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2812.53 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a little different point of view. It was our choice to smoke and it was our choice to continue to smoke. It is our choice to drink alcohol. It is our choice to eat Krispy Kreme doughnuts and ingest the incredible amounts of fat and sugar they contain, thus endangering our health. And it is our choice to NOT do any of those things. Also, it is not a bad thing to make a profit. We live in a capitalist society which would not survive if companies didn't make a profit. So let's not expect corporations and their shareholders to not try to make a profit and let's not expect them to protect our health by going out of business. Do you own any mutual funds? Better check to see what companies they invest in. I believe in freedom of choice. I would rather the government not restrict my right to choose. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 867 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3034.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 120 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$54,714.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 3

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I got you both beat... Benson and Hedges Delux Ultra Light 100s! Took me 5 minutes just to spit out the words! LOL! Perhaps that was why later in my smoking life, I switched to Winston Ultra Lights. Much easier to say! [quote] they are making the act illegal but the product is still legal to buy [/quote] What an awesome point Banana!!! I never thought about it that way before! But it's so true. We can still buy them at every gas station, every convenience store, every super market, most bars, and many other places, but we can't smoke them anywhere! That right there proves how much hold the tobacco companies have on our government systems. The government gets so much money from cigarette taxes that they would be hurt financially if the product becomes illegal... but they don't get any money each time one of us lights up, so they restrict the act of smoking in so many areas, but keep the product legal so that it's a double win for them, the tobacco companies still win... and the smokers are the ones who lose twice! Three times when they get diagnosed with a smoking-related illness! I agree that cigarettes should be illegal, but I honestly don't think I'll live to see the day it happens! The government gets too much money from cigarette taxes. I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 681 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,035 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2812.53 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50

Reading this thread: