Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

a good question

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump please. This is a good, meaty thread which raises two or three issues. Very interesting. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,876 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $226.17 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jaset, We all have our own individual reasons for falling victum to this. For me personally I've found that after a copy weeks, months, etc. my mind starts telling me that at this point I probably have the power to smoke one or two cigarettes and walk away; however, my mind was very wrong and I went right back. The trick is that now I know this and I'm ten days in. Not listening to anything my mind has to say this time. Good luck Jaset! Joe,
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Kevin, I have the ut most respect for the members of this site and what they have accomplished. I only wish that I could do the same. My beef is not with the methods of my quit or any ones quit for that fact. All I am saying is that there is someone to blame for all that WE as individules have to go through. We made a choice at some point in our life. That choice was obviously not a good one. Were we told about the choice that we made? Where were the politicians then? They post these little warnings on the sides of cig packs! Big deal. Why doth they post one that reads, " WE PUT CARCINOGENS IN THE CIGS THAT WE SELL YOU. YOU WILL ADVENTUALLY DIE IF YOU KEEP SMOKING OUR CIGS! WE JUST WANT YOUR MONEY AND WE DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF YOUR UNBORN CHILDREN!" They forget to mention that stuff.
Wow, I have not fallen victum to this issue! This is my first time that I actually quit. We all suffer from this addiction. I dont think its a demon or sorcery. Look at the source of this addiction. Its a drug and there is no getting around that. Like cocane and heroin, its attacks the brain, it makes us feel good only to kill us in the end! Unlike other drugs, it is ok to use this drug! If it were not, it wouldnt be on the market! Millions and millions of dollars are spent on this drug and just as much goes to the lobbyist. Our governments talk about a smoke free society yet they except "campagin donations" from the manufactures of tobacco. This drug will never end, there is too much money in it. The health care industry gets there kick backs from the manufactures, so do the politicians. The scource needs to be delt with. It is what it is and it doesent go away peteg because our society wont do any thing about it. It is not regulated whatsoever. Did you ever take a good look at a cig? Look at the little lines that go around the paper. That is gun powder! It is used in the paper to keep it lit. We inhale gun powder and that is ok with the manufacture? They could care less about us as a society and our gouvernments know this and refuse to do any thing about it. Of cource, this is only my opinion. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 78 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
OMG!! 11 years quit? Do you think this addiction can be hereditary? Seems like we are all fooling our selves! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 78 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
My point exactly Monica, it's legal! If its such a killer (and by the way, I am soory to hear about your dad, it sadens me) like cocane and heroin, then why is it legal? Why does the government let the companies load there product with all the chemicals that kill us? Well, please keep going Monica, dispite what I think and believe. You will succeed. Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 86 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
WINDY!!!! THEY HAVE NOT STOPPED EITHER!!! The companies now are introducing flavored cigarettes to OUR YOUTH!!(strawberry, cherry ect.) And I am not talking about blunts! That was on prime time 2 months ago and it was aired is several contries! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 94 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
I have been reading all these post, I am learning more from all of you than I could from any book. I am a bit confused tho. I am hearing that some people have quit smoking for over 2 and 3 months and even over a year, only to go back to smoking. Why? You would figure you would have it licked by then! Why go back? Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jaset and Pegeg, Thanks for your responses. I was looking for support today in my first day of THE quit. Not this quit, not a subsequent quit. I'm gonna smash this nicotine back in it's place. I'm doing it. It's gonna be hard. Thanks for your support. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jaset, I have had uncountable baby quits and one of which I am proud that lasted 11 years. At my 10 year mark of not smoking, I had had a particularly bad Thanksgiving day (which is my wedding anniversary). I smoked a half of a cigarette. I told myself that I was in control of the addiction. I believed that I proved this by putting the cigarette out at the half way point. It took me 4 months to smoke another cigarette (I didn't even want to in the interim). (skip this paragraph if you have already read my relapse story): One day I anticipated a stressful meeting with my boss. They were restructuring and I knew it wasn't gonna be good. (It ended that I didn't get fired, but I might as well have). From some BFE place, my brain got the crazy idea to buy a pack of cigarettes and a coffee and sit by the river after the meeting. I anticipated this morning for over a day and even had to wait for the meeting with the boss for about two hours while I paced the hall. I told myself it was OK b/c I had proven my control over nicotine - didn't I? I planned on getting rid of the pack as soon as I smoked my fill. I smoked about 10 and gave the pack away. A day or so later I bought another pack, smoked a lot right away and gave the pack away. This went on for about 2 weeks before I had to admit that I had that g-- d--- monkey on my back. Time quit makes not difference. For some reason, we are susceptible to nicotine. I have got to stay off the race car speed way track and not even act like I can dodge the cars. At times in my life I believe that my brain is my enemy. This is one instance. I cannot allow myself to intellectualize or rationalize smoking. There are not excuses, only drags. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30

Reading this thread: