Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

What it takes to make it to the Hall of Fame

17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump for Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,727 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �451.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Luna, yep, definitely have the sore butt syndrome, or as Brent, the Mad Englishman calls it - BBS "Browser Butt Syndrome." :) Mc, LMBO!!!! I tried to think of a different way to say that sentence. That was actually the modified version of what I originally had... the original sentence was much worse!!! :) If you can think of a better way to say it, let me know!!! (But be careful... you might just get the job of editing all of my threads before I post them :8o: ) Pen, I agree with you that I didn't ever expect it either. I'd screwed up so many times and had posted so many "colorful" posts that I figured it would never happen. N2k posted on another thread about if there was a "most deleted list" - I'm sure I would most definitely be on that list too! :) In fact, I remember telling somebody that if I ever got the Hall of Fame, it would have meant that somebody kidnapped the mods and held a gun to their heads forcing them to put me in the Hall of Fame!!! :) So I totally understand what you're saying... and I agree that you should be there just as much if not more than anybody else. :) Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 370 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,259 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1528.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
One other thing... I left the site and rejoined a few months ago, and when I left, I had over 3,000 posts, so my number also isn't right. Mc, Lady said it much better than I did - "helping others has helped me more times than not around here." Guess she gets the job! :p Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 370 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,261 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1528.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
I was sitting here reflecting on what it means to be bestowed the honor of being in the Hall of Fame, and I noticed something. I started reading the stories of all of the Hall of Famers who came before me and had a very interesting observation. Very few, and I mean maybe 2 or 3 Hall of Famers, had ever slipped or relapsed after finding the site. I would bet that the percent of people in the Hall of Fame who had slipped or relapsed is considerably lower than the percentage of those on this site who had slipped or relapsed. So I asked myself, �why is it that so few of those wonderful people who are in the Hall of Fame have ever slipped?� And so I started reflecting on this. At first I was quite interested in this statistic, but not really shocked because as I thought about it, I thought about what it takes to get into the Hall of Fame. Every single person in the Hall of Fame is in there for several different very good and honorable reasons. This ramble is all about the qualities of a �Hall of Famer� but also of a successful quitter. I believe that if you follow the example of those in the Hall of Fame, then you will inevitably have a successful quit as well. First off, every single person in the Hall of Fame is there because they have quit successfully. People who have not quit successfully don�t make it to the Hall of Fame. Therefore, the statistic mentioned above about Hall of Famers never having had a single slip is not at all surprising. If you want to quit successfully, you don�t smoke! DUH! So requirement number one of getting into the Hall of Fame, and also of having a successful quit, is to not smoke that very first one. Yet another example of how �just one� is deadly to a quit. If there is only one fact that I hope every single person who visits this site sees, it is that you can NOT have �just one� if you want to quit successfully! As I said above, there are a couple of us who have, but the overwhelming majority of the quitters in the Hall of Fame, and also the overwhelming majority of ALL successful quitters on this site have not had that first smoke. The first one is the one that is most detrimental to a quit. Don�t smoke it and you�re half way to the Hall of Fame. Another characteristic common to virtually all Hall of Famers is that of fr
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[img]http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:N9nJn3k6WG7cEM:www.yale.edu/peace/shirt.JPG[/img] Congratulations BS well deserved... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 143 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,151 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $572 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nice Pam [IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/barb55/hatsmiley.gif[/IMG] to all HOF's! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 277 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,163 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $831 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey 3galeh :) longtime no type. Good 2CU! -- Hi Bfs [color=white]OMG another ramble!!?? heh heh[/color] :p Tis good there are examples of a few that have slipped. Just goes to show the old adage is true [b][i]If at first you don't succeed, try try again.[/i][/b] [color=blue][font=Tahoma]All the best~[/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 438 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,657 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2190 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 453 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cold Turkeys are tongue-tied w/this quote: [quote] I believe that helping others with their quits helps the one who is trying to do the helping just as much. [/quote] Forgive me, I just had to point out that this sounds like something Jack Sparrow would have said to Gibbs... (You alrdy know how I feel about you, BFS. Thanks for representin' the multi-quit minority and congrats, again.) mc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 428 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,424 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1712 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is acceptance of the diversity of opinions here that make this place a success. It is the opinion of the peers that the Hall of Fame members are selected from. Just as one man�s junk is another�s treasure, greatness is in the eyes of the beholder. I do not believe that defamation of character is allowed in this forum. Let me clarify what I�m trying to say here. [B]Diversity:[/b] The state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness variety; multiformity a point of difference. [B]Acceptance:[/b] the act of taking or receiving something offered. favorable reception; approval; favor the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory. the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable. [B]Opinion[/b] a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: [B]Greatness[/b] used to express acceptance, appreciation, approval, admiration, etc. notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding. Congratulations to [B]all[/b] who successfully take their lives back from this horrible addiction. Any questions?????? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 490 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,807 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1715 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being in the Hall of Fame is an honor. I have spent the last 16 months of my life on this site almost every single day. I try to help where I think I can and helping others has helped me more times than not around here. I struggled with my quit as a lot of people do. I share my story and try to encourage. I never expected to be in the hall of fame. I merely formed relationships with other quitters and shared the journey. For me, this journey continues. I believe I have finally reached a point where I can say that smoking is something I use to do. As I have said many times... quitting is a soul-searching, life changing experience. The road is filled with ups and downs and things to trip us up along the way. The main point is that we keep our eye on the goal and for today we remember N.O.P.E. and always keep in mind that we are one puff away from being enslaved to the cigarette again. I value those on this site and the love and caring I have received here. I have learned a lot about myself through these boards. I believe this is a place that adds value to a world where things are not perfect. I am glad that I can come here. I am also glad to be a member of this wonderful Hall of Fame. There are some Awesome people in this hall. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 489 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,788 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1711.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44

Reading this thread: