Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,658 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA

Bad Test Results - Trying Not To Freak Out

17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I just got the call. The PET scan is going to be Thursday. I expect I'll have to wait until next week to hear the results. Wish me luck, keep your fingers crossed, throw salt over your shoulder - whatever anyone is willing to do I'll take. I'll update you all at the latest as soon as I know something. B [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 107 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,156 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $321 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
So help me - if this doesn't make someone resolute in thier quit, or finally decide to quit - I don't know what to tell you... I just got a call from my doctor with the results of a cat scan done on Friday. I should have known this wouldn't be any good when I had the test done Friday night 5:30pm and I'm getting a call at 8:00am on the nose Monday Morning. They've found "several" nodules in my right lung, one of them she described as 'rather large - about the size of a quarter'. I now have to go in for a PET scan which she said they want to do immidiately, and then I suspect they will have to be biopsied after that. I'm really, really, really trying hard to maintain my composure at this point. Lets face it - we all know the risks when we smoke, but it's this very vague nebulous thing. Now I'm having to face head-on the possibility of a very bad outcome from this. Obviously I'm hoping and praying for the best..but I don't know. I'm scared. I'm trying to maintain... Please, please, please quit. Don't do this to yourself - trust me - it sucks. Badly. Bingo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,127 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $318 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
I know it's kind of a heavy thing for me to throw out there, and I apologize for doing so, but if this can make just one person stop and think about this and realize how important quitting is, I guess that's why I'm going through this. I believe very much that everything happens for a reason, and if I'm having to deal with this at 36 years old, then maybe it's to be a wakeup call for 1 or 2 others. I'll stay in touch when I can. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,128 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $318 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
[quote=Iwin] If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me why you had the MRI done? Were there symptoms you were having that maybe we should watch out for. [/quote] It's no secret or anything I don't mind mentioning, I've mentioned it here a while ago in a couple posts - I've had some problems with unexplainable chest pains so they were doing a cat scan to check for any ciculatory blockage/restrictions. The chest pains were part of what finally made me decide to quit. I swear that there's been this horrible thought in the back of my mind that if this turns out to be something awful that I'm just gonna want to throw up and hands and start smoking again. Is that wierd? B [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $324 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs! I am so sorry that this is happening! I will pray that it turns out to be nothing serious! Hang in there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 84 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,688 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $378 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bingo, you're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure your story will make some of us stronger in our quit and I hope everything turns out good for you. Early detection and there are so many breakthoughs, yeah easy for me to say huh. Just keep us posted ,we care. judy
17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bingo - I've been thinking about you today and wanted you to know that you are in my prayers and thoughts. It is not weird to think about smoking at a stressful time...but there are other ways to deal with this stress...maybe some positive meditation and rest - I truly believe that being postive is 3/4 of the battle. You have a wonderful quit going - I've watched you all this way and I am so proud of you. You have managed all the bumps in this road so far without smoking - I know that you can do it now. Replace that negativity with positive feelings about yourself, your life, your health and your quit. You're in my prayers, buddy! Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 169 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,699 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $338 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,700.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5862 Hours: 6

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bingo, Thanks for answering my question. I'm sorry I thought you said you had an MRI but it was a CAT. I don't think you are weird. You hear of a lot of people who continue to smoke, but I think it is usually people who have not quit yet like you have. You would not want to start again because things are curable now. There was a well known man from where I live and he was diagnosed with incurable lung cancer quit a few years ago. They told him he had 3 months to live. He ended up going I think to md anderson and he was cured. He recently died of heart disease years later. He wrote a book about it. Also I wanted to tell you that I don't know if this applies to a CAT but I do know that an MRI can give alot of false positives on lung cancer. I was just reading an article that said (this is of course about people who have NO symptoms and just want to see if there might be a problem) not to have an MRI unless you smoked and are 50 or over because there are so many false positives. I also read that there was a study that showed if they put a warm blanket on you before having the PET scan, that there is a better chance that you will not get a false postive on that. You could ask about it. My husband had some kind of test a few years ago that showed a big mass on his liver or kidney I can't remember which. He then had a MRI and it showed nothing. I hope that is what happens for you. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Iwin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 210 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,216 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $840 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bingo, I am not on here that much anymore, but saw your post and wanted to send good thoughts your way. I hope everything turns out okay. If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me why you had the MRI done? Were there symptoms you were having that maybe we should watch out for. You are a wonderful person to be thinking of others at what must be a very stressful time for you. I'm sure your post has helped many people on here. I will be sure and check on here to see how you are doing. Iwin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 209 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,197 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $836 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bingo, You are in my prayers. Hopefully this post will help someone stay quit. Let us know how you are doing. Whatever you do, don't smoke! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 402 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,049 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1407 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23

Reading this thread: