Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

HELP

17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cuddles - most importantly - do NOT smoke them! I'm sorry you have to go through this. After you've done a combination of all of the above, my thought was that maybe you should let your child roam around this message board for a while. They might get an appreciation for the long-term effects of smoking, and who knows, they may read 1 sentence somewhere that strikes a nerve, and makes them re-think what they're doing. Kids, teenagers - all of us - never understood the consequences of what those early smoking trials would lead to. As we know, peer pressure is a powerful force. I've always thought that kids are always just one 'bad friend' away from some scary options. Good luck. sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,669 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $594 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 457 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm scared to death about this very thing myself. Since i've quit, some of my childrne have shown signs of going through withdrawals, and my oldest boy befreinded a kid that smokes. I cut off the relationship and am watching him like a hawk. If it happened to me, I like the report idea, and the research, and educating her. i would demand that she quit immediately, and I wouldn't let her out of my site until I could trust her. This cycle has got to end somewhere. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,093 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $247 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cuddles , most of the time teenagers to things to belong, to look cool, so maybe working on the image is a great idea. Good luck Sincerely Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 803 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $212 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As parents we are responsible for our child's safety. There is nothing safe about them smoking. I wish my parents had done more to keep me from smoking. If they had, maybe I would not have smoked for 23 years. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,564 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $340 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$54,496.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 12

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]This is what my eleven year old says: Take away the 2 cigarettes and the lighter. Then talk with your child alone and ask why they are smoking. And after they give you their answer you should tell them why they should not smoke and what can happen to them if they do smoke. And even though you use to be a smoker you should tell your child that if you could go back in time that you would have never picked up the first cigarette. And also ask your child if there they are hiding anymore cigarettes and if they are for them to hand them over to you.[/quote] As a Mom ... I was interested in what my oldest thought. So you get two responses for the price of one. If I found cigarettes in my kids room they'd be on restriction for at least a month. Lots of talking to. Probably take them to the doctor, so the doc could talk to them as well. I'd make them do a long freaking report on the consequences of smoking that they would be doing while they were on restriction. I'd make them pick up nasty butts at a park or something. OH I can think of all kinds of horrible ways to torture them for making a very wrong choice. heh! ;p Hugs for you Cuddles. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,551 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $340 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$54,496.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 12

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cuddles, You've received some great advice from your fellow quitters. The report is a great idea, knowledge is a great motivator! Keep us posted, Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just found 2 ciggeretts and a lighter in my 14 year olds dresser. How should I handle this situation, without making it worse Cuddles It's better to be a non-smoker with an occasional desire for a cig than a smoker with a constant desire to quit...... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,101 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $378 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your response. I thought back to when I started smoking at age 16. I was holding some cigs for a friend, my mom found them and went balistic. She didnt belive me. So she keep accusing me for months saying I was smoking. So I started smoking because I was being accused of doing something I wasnt doing. So I gave my son the benefit of the doubt. I told him I was disappointed in finding the cigs, of course he insisted that they werent his. So I told him I would not mention it again unless he gave me reason to. I gave him some web sites to check out and had a good long talk with him. Now I am go to pray alot and hope that he was telling me the truth. Cuddles It's better to be a non-smoker with an occasional desire for a cig than a smoker with a constant desire to quit...... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 107 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,145 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $385.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cuddles, in Australia we have an add on TV of a young girl with mouth cancer, its gross but its for real, most 14 year old girls are very concerned with there looks, there is a web site with this add on it but were not allowed to post web sites on here, I'm on ssc messenger if you wont it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 326 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cuddles Talk WITH your child. The report idea I think is wonderful. I didn't know there were so many things caused by smoking. Just remember your child is young so what happens to others, isn't going to happen to them. Remember, we all believed this too while we smoked. Its a horrible addiction. Talk about it. I really like what Katy said. Re-read that. When we choose not to smoke, or anything else for that matter, it is so much easier than someone forcing us not to do it. I don't know how old you were when you began smoking but try to remember that time and the reasons you started. Find out the reasons your teen is smoking and address the reasons. They are the real problem here not the smoking. Remember, smoking is the crutch. I started smoking at 15 because I wanted to "fit in" with the rest of my friends. How about you? Take it to the Lord in prayer Cuddles. That is the best thing you can do. Ask for guidence and the wisdom to handle the situation appropriately and He will see you through (even if it doesn't seem like it). [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 400 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,007 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1400 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27

Reading this thread: