Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Testing the limits

17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope that came out ok, I am tired tonight and just about ready for bed.. All I was saying is that yeah I am terrified of it,... which is why I wrote that thread before I went. Because I HAVE failed before, I know what/how i failed before and that makes me more wary. I think also this will hopefully help me to stay completely quit, for good and forever. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 545 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �157.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
Oh yes I encountered that fear on Saturday night. I had to keep my wits about me, I was just thinking i do with a smoke when I found a packet of cigs and a lighter on the grass! I gave them away. I have lost quits because of drinking and smoking. But because i DID fail before, that does certainly help me. I keep saying to myself, oh yep I would love to smoke tonight, but I will end up smoking all day tomorrow and the next day, maybe next week and next month. Is that what I really want? That stopped me from smoking. Just think of it not as ONE cigarette, but as a pile of cigarettes, then smoking all day every day again. Isnt it good to have the CHOICE again, and to have the CHOICE to say NO! When I was a smoker, i didnt really have a choice I just smoked all day every day, because i had to, to relieve nicotine pangs. Thank god I dont have to do that anymore! Last night you learnt something. You learnt that you CAN go out, drink and not have someone fail you... and still NOT smoke. IF this was your first time, then it deserves much applause as it a huge acheivement. You might at first think, I cant beleive i put myself in such risk but you will keep learning. Tell everyone you dont smoke, and taht if you ask for one, get them to delay you (no good them saying no as if you are determined you will stay determined) remember its in the mind - learn to control your mind. If all else fails, look at the cigarette that you are desiring (if you are) and imagine EVERYONE on this board stood with you. NOW who is the most powerful? Now who has the most control? You are the cigarette? The mind plays stupid tricks - just starting playing it at its own game. You will ALWAYS win because the subconcious cannot take a joke. I am proud of you for not smoking last night Pam, WELL DONE!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 545 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �157.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
I am a risk taker for the following reasons. 1. I dont want to make the cigarette precious. If I stop doing things i would otherwise do, then it gives the cigarette power. 2. I have quit a lot of times, and made huge mistakes, some of them horrifically stupid. I remember my longest quit, going out smoking when I was drinking. Actually I didnt have to smoke anymore. So my partner bought me a pack of 10 to take home on the train, so that i could casually smoke and not have to buy any.. haha of course that quit failed. So I do know that I cant just have one cigarette 3. I try to see cigarettes for what they are. When i see people smoking i try to see what it is doing, admittedly that can be hard if you are drinking. 4. I try to stay away from bars with stale smoke, and when possible, try to go somewhere where it is non smoking, or very good air conditioning. I then celebrate the fact that actually I can now tell the difference, before i would eat somewhere that stank like that, and I didnt know? 5. The biggest by far thing has been to come to this board. If it got tough, I just think back to here, and that we have all quit smoking, and if everyone else can do it, then so can I, I am not really special. I think life is for living, if I stopped doing things because I was not smoking, I would be more likely to smoke as an excuse just to get my life back. But the BIGGEST danger is alcohol... definately! But that said I did get hammered on Sat night.. and I didnt smoke, in fact i was up until 7 am with a smoker, AND i found a packet of cigarettes and a lighter... I gave them to someone that could use them. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 544 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �157.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I guess I am a risk taker also, I refuse to change my entire life just because I don't smoke any more, I also live with a smoker so that does make it a little more trying, but I am around smokers I do go to rest. & bars where they smoke I just know that I can't and if I am having a bad crave day I stay away. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 412 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well... First of all, that is the great things about all the new smoking ban laws and stuff. It really helps us because we can go to restaurants and stuff and not have to see smokers. I guess that is a good unintended consequence. Two of my worse temptations took care of themselves. Both my mom and my daughter have quit. I thought I would go crazy untill then. I think I can tell pretty well by looking for people smoking in thier cars (I seem to always see at least one anytime I am driving around). If seeing them makes me want to smoke, which so far it always does, I would not put myself in a smoking situation. When I get to where it rarely or never bothers me, maybe I would try to allow myself to go a little closer. There was a man smoking in front of Walmart the other day and I walked all the way to the other door to avoid it. Yes, I slipped mid june when my daughter was still smoking and had cigs in my house. I don't feel as much in danger of that again because I don't want to go though hell and heck week again. There is a case to be made for just facing it too. If you are stong enough, I guess that is great. The more you practice any trigger, the stronger it seems to make you. But especially right now, I know I am not strong enough, and I will do it very slowly. Love, Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 627 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$74,923.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6522 Hours: 18

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, am I ever glad that I never drank! Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 632 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
  • Quit Meter

$74,923.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6522 Hours: 18

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Butterfly swimmer, Thanks for throwing this question out to members. I think the rule of thumb here is to gage your feelings about being in the situation at hand. Preparing for the situation before it occurs has also been helpful to many members. Keep persevering, Danielle __________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't usually drink that often but when I would drink is when I would smoke like a chimney! I haven't been to a bar in years, if I drink I just get togther with friends at a home and drink. ALL of my friends and my dh smoke so I am always around the temptation. I went to Chicago last week and I drank all weekend, not to a stupor but to a nice buzz. where normally I would have been a smoke stack, I wasn't. I did have one moment in the night that I thought "normally I would be smoking" but that was that, just pushed the thought out. I was really having too much fun to even worry about smoking. I do get thoughts of smoking from time to time but I just let them pass. I acknowledge them and move on. I don't want to be over confident at all, that will get you in trouble. I do want to be in control of my thoughts and actions. I stay very aware of my feelings and emotions and step back when I am having a rough time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 994 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $220.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very good thread! I am risky! Not to the point of failure but to the point of I do what I want and that is that. The reason I do it that way is because I feel like one day I will have to be okay with being around smoking. I will go and sit with the smokers at break and it doesn't bother me. If I am having a bad day then I don't go down there. I base it off of how I am feeling. I know I am not going to smoke again so to me I am just getting on with my life. I do still want a cig once in a while but that doesn't mean I am going to have one. I havent had any slips in my quit so I think I am doing well!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 993 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $220.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pam, I guess from the reference point here, I baby my Quit... What I feel I do - is keep my Quit safe and secure... I am normally, in life, a risk-taker, to a degree. But w/my Quit, being aware that I am an addict, and that it takes only one cigarette and one moment to lose my Quit, I protect it all the time, as much as I need to protect it. I trust myself to know what and where I need to protect my Quit. When I wanted to head out to Malibu a month or so ago, I wasn't feeling comfortable w/going... Lady advised me to wait until I was more comfortable/stronger in my Quit, and she was absolutely right. If I wondered if I would be OK, I was not feeling grounded with it. So I follow my own intuition with it...And that is to take the best of care with it, and it means so much to me to keep and protect it that I would never push the envelope. Pushing the envelope on my Quit (to me) would be no different than taking my motocycle out and pushing the envelope out there - guess that says alot about how I see my Quit, eh? :) A motorcycle can go down in an instant... And I love my life too much to take that kind of risk:) Ya know, I would also be curious to find out which group (risk-takers or those of us who baby their Quits) have more slips... Or maybe the words speak for themselves (just figured that out while typing this :) I have had none, and plan on none in the future... Interesting thread - thanks Pam:) Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,228 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $558 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23

Reading this thread: