Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,785 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

The Mature Quit

18 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Joe: I always am learning from your post. Does one ever really reach their full natural growth or development? The journey of life is a continual path of learning, growth and development. The decision to quit is definitely a growth process and a smart one at that - but I think that has been just the beginning of another learning road for me. I have learned more about myself in the last 60 days than probably in the last 10 years. I am not the same person I was then - I find that most of my interests have changed. But there are still places that I don't yet trust myself to go - people that I just can't hang out with yet but I imagine that eventually I can come back to those places and people when I have reached yet another level of maturity. So I guess if I had to choose between the two concepts I would choose that we grow (and continue to grow) into maturity as a function of the decision to quit. I hope that I continue to grow for many years to come until we have the Island Girl's Traveling Funeral! Thanks for your wisdom. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 243 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$1,705,012.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5866 Hours: 18

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
golferman,duffis,and Lady, I have spent two days reading and learning from this post, I have took what I needed and left the rest. I admire each of your quits, but they are not mine. Only I with your help now and then can protect my quit and grow toward maturity. I don't think you ever quit learning and growing. Looking toward our goal that each day brings us closer. There is a light at the end of that tunnel, that will bring more confidence to us. Each day when I log in, you bet your bippy I look at the days I have been a non-smoker. Every one of them are precious too me. Each day represents growth toward maturity. I try not to look back at some of the hard days because they will only slow me down. If I do allow myself to look back I find myself lost in those thoughts. I try not to think of failure, that word to me says, loosers, unworthy, anger,and sadness. I, like so many of you are learning so much about our selves, where my weakness are, and where my strong points are. So each day I try to work on one of my weak points. Because of this quote I do this: [quote] Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly, will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. By: Schiller [/quote] I know that I will never be perfect, and neither will you, but we have to keep on striving toward the goal!!! SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,813 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $371 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$230,176.69

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6403 Hours: 14

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know if the ability to maintain a quit is a matter of maturity. For me my ability to maintain this quit and keep rigid control of the addicted part of myself is more a matter of knowledge and my own self assurance. I slowly slowly slowly trust myself more and more. For me trust is about repeated patterns and I am constantly breaking old patterns. Now this is from someone who has been able to maintain this quit for some 60 odd days. The wisdom and knowledge that is gained in the additional 200 or 300 or 400 or 700 days that others on this site have obtained is evident only in the sharing that happens as a result of how this site is designed and presented. What any individual receives from the knowledge of "elders" is only equal to how much they are willing to absorb. Very often (and this is only my point of view) I see a lot of drama and a great deal of commotion, hubbub around the action of quitting and for me, if I am going to expend energy I want it to be productive and focused. This does not mean that anyone else or any other on this site or any other site or group or program will agree or not agree with what I see, experience or take in. Each person is different and each quit is different. My hope is that others will gain and absorb valuable information from the experience that is shared here, both "positive and negative". From the knowledge that is shared here others will gain and others be more able to adjust, control or maintain what their actions around smoking or not smoking will be. In all of this I sincerely hope that there will be others who have travelled with me in this journey, others who have led the way, travelled beside me and those that are following behind that all of the travellers on this trip will journey along. It is only from the sharing and the description of others lives that I can identify and model my own life, and the actions that I maintain around smoking or not smoking. God speed to those that stop and get off the path, welcome to those that join in, and thank you to those that are moving along right beside me. Thank you each and every one of you for the invaluable and knowledge expanding information that you each create here in this corner of the virtual world. Your provision of your expereience expands
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MMMMMMMM Had a whole post written, done up and I think I will pass on this one. Very interesting and very verdant, fertile discussion. Glad to see another volitile and very debatable question, subject, area for study. And I'll pass. Cheers Phillip :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $487.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 103 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank You, one and all for being couargeous enough to express your honest feelings, knowing that they might be recieved with either support or retort! This shows Great Maturity! LOL I, personally always enjoy the opportunity to explore new ideas..........i may aggre, I may not but, anything which provokes cognitive thought, is in my opinion, positive input and gives way to personal growth. None of you ever dissapoint me. Anything worthwhile is hard work but, attitude and maturity ( by that i mean, seeing things from all angles with an unemotional eye ) are the key, as has been said many times before. Some people never reach this level.............something as straightforward as lack of self worth can hold anyone back. I have seen this in people closest to me.....I am convinced that my own Mom would be here today if only she thought as much of herself as her four children and other loved ones did. But, that's another story. We can only scatter seeds of kindness as we go, hoping they somehow take root. Cheers, Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,664 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $440 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
great thread - keep 'em coming... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 127 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,830 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $635 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
G-Man Joe it is refreshing 2see a provactive and controversial topic again. *grin* Christine I'm sure my (elder ;)) friends agree that this thread would not have been nearly as interesting without your input. ('Ol Rob47 is pretty funny too. I saw that episode of Star Trek~lol) I could tell the Joester was enjoyN his humor too. So many other [u]'wise'[/u] entries from ALL of you. This is a terrific thread. I have enjoyed reading it. It made me laugh and think. I also learned something. Lady has at least 12 post per day!?! *ThinkN Wow!~lol* SpeakN of books, I once read: [b]We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.[/b] But my favorite reply to this topic would be a Mark Twain quote: [b]When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.[/b] Again, great job [i]everyone[/i]. Nice work here. [color=blue][font=Tahoma]All the best~[/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 246 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,422 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1230 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What I meant to say is that I wouldn't go back to smoking! But, the "quitting" part is much easier when you have QUIT! N.O.P.E. Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $327 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
18 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If I've learned nothing else from this site it is that everyone's quit is totally different, unique to each individual. My quit was relatively easy once I got over the two slips I had. Now, I wouldn't go back to quitting for the world. And I must say that a big part of the reason for that is because of posts like this one. The ones that get you really thinking. So, for that I say thank you to the wonderful people here like Golferman, Duffis and Lady. I believe reading their posts above all others has inspired me the most. I plan on being here in 10 months and even longer than that! Look how far I've come this time! You don't think I'm giving up my beach seat do you? NO way! N.O.P.E. Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $327 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cobenfan, A couple of days ago someone accused me of thinking I was better than they were because I was further in my quit then they were. This really ticked me off. The main reason it ticked me off is because I have worked hard for every single day of my quit and I was trying to help them. I spent the first 60 days fighting the quit before I finally accepted it and then the rest of my journey I have spent developing the new me. I suppose maturing would be a good word for the purpose of this thread. It has been a struggle for me. I am finally seeing progress and am beginning to feel a new sense of comfort in my quit. If you look at my posts, being comfortable is not something that I ever mention because it is not something I have felt. It has taken me 297 days to get to where I am. There have been a lot of days that I wanted to give up but I have been fortunate to have an awesome quit buddy that absolutely refuses to let me fail and mentors that keep grabbing my hand when I am about to fall. It is not the physical aspects of the quit that has been difficult for me. The mental game and dealing with life on life�s terms instead of hiding behind the cigarette is where my struggle lies. Thanks to those around me, teaching, leading, following, and supporting, I am maturing and I love this journey. It is the greatest thing that has happened to me in my entire life! As far as never replying to your threads, I typically reply to those that appear to need help. Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to our little quit family! Thank you for the explanation of Coben. I too am an avid reader and I think you just gave me my reward for graduation! Yes, new books - because I will finally have time to read again. Let me recommend to you Francine Rivers, my favorite author, and the Mark of the Lions. Awesome series! It had me reading until 4 am with tears rolling down my face and grabbing the next book of a 3 book series. Ladybugg-love the learning walk metaphor. Eve-the teacher is the student and the student is the teacher, so very true. My apologies Joe, I appear to have hijacked yet another of your threads. :p I just love these great debates! Let me just add that no one should ever be afraid to add their true feelings to

This thread is locked.

Reading this thread: