Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Taking Responsibility

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi RD Man,

I have seen all of your progress over my nearly ten years on SSC.  Some of us did hang around even though the site did evolve.  I don't know why it morphed into what it is now, but it could be that amazement at being able to be in communication with people who feel the same as you, does not hold the same pulling power.  People are not so impressed with such things nowadays.  'Whatever'....as they say.......I still think this is the best place to start and maintain a quit, and, as I discovered a few years ago, the 'friendships' which began here continued on.  Now that does impress me.  The people I met one weekend way back, were exactly as I had imagined them, and that was in the days when we were not supposed to use our real names, or know anyone's email address.

I wish you well.  It is definitely an amazing journey we all take when we decide to quit!

Love Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey RD Man!!

This is a great post and thread!  I have read so many posts here that I am quite surprised that I never came across it before.  This paragraph that you shared really moved me and is what I have felt all these years, but could never put into words to share.  

"
I am glad that there are others to share this journey with. I am glad that others care enough here to tell their stories, and show parts of themselves I might not typically get to see. From seeing the parts of all of the varied and multi faceted people who post into this Stop Smoking Centre Forum I get to see, experience and learn about the kind of person I would like to be. I get the ultimate opportunity to choose what I want and what I don't want. That is where my responsibility lies, in making that choice and in deciding to be real and letting the new me come forward.  - See more at: http://sg.stopsmokingcenter.net/supportv7/replytotopic.aspx?Forum=1&topictitle=Taking%20Responsibility&ForumName=Forum%20for%20New%20Users%20and%20General%20Discussion&Topic=27131#sthash.Xt35IeIc.dpuf
I am glad that there are others to share this journey with. I am glad that others care enough here to tell their stories, and show parts of themselves I might not typically get to see. From seeing the parts of all of the varied and multi faceted people who post into this Stop Smoking Centre Forum I get to see, experience and learn about the kind of person I would like to be. I get the ultimate opportunity to choose what I want and what I don't want. That is where my responsibility lies, in making that choice and in deciding to be real and letting the new me come forward.  - See more at: http://sg.stopsmokingcenter.net/supportv7/replytotopic.aspx?Forum=1&topictitle=Taking%20Responsibility&ForumName=Forum%20for%20New%20Users%20and%20General%20Discussion&Topic=27131#sthash.Xt35IeIc.dpuf
I am glad that there are others to share this journey with. I am glad that others care enough here to tell their stories, and show parts of themselves I might not typically get to see. From seeing the parts of all of the varied and multi faceted people who post into this Stop Smoking Centre Forum I get to see, experience and learn about the kind of person I would like to be. I get the ultimate opportunity to choose what I want and what I don't want. That is where my responsibility lies, in making that choice and in deciding to be real and letting the new me come forward."

It is a different era here at the SSC now.  Most veterans do not frequent the Forums now because it isn't what it used to be.  Most of us logged in constantly throughout the day to check on everyone because we REALLY cared about our quit buddies here and wanted to make sure that we provided the support someone might need!  We were like one big happy family... well, not necessarily "happy", but we were damn happy to be here!  Remember when we used to tell everyone, "If you are about to slip and light up, just log in and ask for help!  Wait for 5 replies and your craving will be history!"  Remember when someone posted for help and there would be at least 5 replies from us before anyone had a chance to find a lighter???    Ah, the good ol' days. 

I've been hanging out here for over 6 years except for a period of time when I was without computer, always hoping that everyone would log in and post a little more often, which in turn might inspire a new batch of quitters to, in turn, to use the site and log in more often.  I think that it is important to try to keep this site alive and keep people coming back because of what RD said above.  It DOES make a difference in our quits when others are sharing their journey with you, and you them.  

Oh well, time to end this babble!  Time to get my ol' eyes checked and then hit the road to hob nob with my fellow glassblowing wizards in the north!  I hope you all have a great smoke free weekend!!!

xoxox

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 7

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Feeling good reading this...

WOW 

I have done this new thing for 34 days (NOT SMOKING). 
I had done the old thing for 13,140 days (SMOKING). Imagine that. 

If each puff of each cigarette over 36 years was a single dose of mood altering substace that totals some 3,942,000 doses of some kind of mind bending drug. No wonder I have, strange dreams, my sleep is disrupted, I am a little moody, sometimes I am emotional, I am constantly hungry, (not really for food but for somthing to fill the gap), I might have a little trouble concentrating. 

This voyage has provided a lot of information to me and although I am a relative newbie to being smoke free. Being this newbie I still like to share my thoughts and experience. There are days and moments that I sometimes wonder what is happening to me. Well nothing really is happening to me. What there is is that I have stepped into a new life, a life that I thought that I knew and I am realizing that really I did not know my life. I did not ever really know who the real me was. The me that was for so long clouded in addiction is slowly being revealed as the old habits, old ways and old patterns are stripped away. 

I have no real imagery for what an adult who does not smoke is like. So I have to take resposibility and make that adult, the new me, into someone that I want to be. What a strange and wonderful opportunity that my addiction has provided to an almost 50 something. Here is an empty canvas, create the new you. WOW, what an awesome task and what a wonderful opportunity. 

I am glad that there are others to share this journey with. I am glad that others care enough here to tell their stories, and show parts of themselves I might not typically get to see. From seeing the parts of all of the varied and multi faceted people who post into this Stop Smoking Centre Forum I get to see, experience and learn about the kind of person I would like to be. I get the ultimate opportunity to choose what I want and what I don't want. That is where my responsibility lies, in making that choice and in deciding to be real and letting the new me come forward. 

I am sorry that sometimes I have been moody and I know that there are times for me that this is really a white knuckle ride and ultimately what I am working so dilegently at is creating this new life. 
18 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Riverdale Man, Congrats on your 34 days quit!!! I'm new here and on day 3 and to be honest have only gotten to part of step 4 in the 6 steps in my glove compartment. I just had to let you know that I truely enjoy reading your posts, so keep them coming. I'm sure many others on here also have great posts too but due to lack of time, I have not read very many of them...........yet. Christian Girl
  • Quit Meter

$12,846.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 752 Hours: 22

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
right there with you Phillip Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,345 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
18 years ago 0 300 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I absolutely love reading your posts. You inspire me and I am sure others as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I do enjoy reading your posts because I can relate. Thank you and keep strong! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 459 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$204,327.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5156 Hours: 13

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW I have done this new thing for 34 days (NOT SMOKING). I had done the old thing for 13,140 days (SMOKING). Imagine that. If each puff of each cigarette over 36 years was a single dose of mood altering substace that totals some 3,942,000 doses of some kind of mind bending drug. No wonder I have, strange dreams, my sleep is disrupted, I am a little moody, sometimes I am emotional, I am constantly hungry, (not really for food but for somthing to fill the gap), I might have a little trouble concentrating. This voyage has provided a lot of information to me and although I am a relative newbie to being smoke free. Being this newbie I still like to share my thoughts and experience. There are days and moments that I sometimes wonder what is happening to me. Well nothing really is happening to me. What there is is that I have stepped into a new life, a life that I thought that I knew and I am realizing that really I did not know my life. I did not ever really know who the real me was. The me that was for so long clouded in addiction is slowly being revealed as the old habits, old ways and old patterns are stripped away. I have no real imagery for what an adult who does not smoke is like. So I have to take resposibility and make that adult, the new me, into someone that I want to be. What a strange and wonderful opportunity that my addiction has provided to an almost 50 something. Here is an empty canvas, create the new you. WOW, what an awesome task and what a wonderful opportunity. I am glad that there are others to share this journey with. I am glad that others care enough here to tell their stories, and show parts of themselves I might not typically get to see. From seeing the parts of all of the varied and multi faceted people who post into this Stop Smoking Centre Forum I get to see, experience and learn about the kind of person I would like to be. I get the ultimate opportunity to choose what I want and what I don't want. That is where my responsibility lies, in making that choice and in deciding to be real and letting the new me come forward. I am sorry that sometimes I have been moody and I know that there are times for me that this is really a white knuckle ride and ultimately what I am working so dilegently at is creating this new life.
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phillip, a great thought provoking post. Yes we have been there for you when you needed it but I have observed you giving plenty in return. To me that is the essence of this community - mutual support. May it continue and flourish. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 548 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey River... I had the same revelation awhile back too. That I don't know myself without a cigarette in my hand. My whole life wrapped around this socially legal (no longer acceptable)addiction. Changing has been and still is a new experience.. with each new situation that I encounter without a cigarette in the middle of it. I don't think about smoking all that much anymore.. Nothing in the morning, nothing at night.. if anything.. right after lunch I still get a reminder.. I am denying it all.. don't want nicodemon around at all.. so I blow him right off !!! But the cravings that sneak up on you.. those always suprise me. I brush them off too.. because.. well, I DON'T SMOKE !!!! Something I find interesting. It's just common knowledge that many people look down on smokers. These people may not say a word.. but inside.. there is the (look at the lowlife smoke..). Well, I have friends who certainly did not like that I smoked. My son's girlfriend's parents. One quit in his 30's and the other didn't smoke at all and both have their noses up now. Here's the thing. I quit smoking cold turkey after a gazillion years and when my son makes the announcement to them after I was 30 days quit.. he says that they acted like.. they were totally indifferent and did not even respond. Just blank looks on their faces. My son was so proud and they coudn't stop for a second to let him feel good. I don't know how people can be so cold inside. I think my son is feeling it too.. (thank God.. I've been teling him for 2 years now..) lol River.. the journey is new and I intent to enjoy each new smokefree day to its utmost.. I love new adventures and new stuff..lol Knight Christine.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,266 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WoW Phillip... Where were you when I first quit? Do you have any idea how long it took me to come to the same conclusion you stated above? Nice post. You are coming along very well in your quit. Freedom will soon be yours. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 265 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,316 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $927.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39

Reading this thread: