Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Killer weekend

18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cincere, It sure sounds like an aweful weekend. But the one bright thing is that you did not smoke. Be proud of that. I feel somewhat like you do. My hubby & I quit together. However, it seems my problems with my hubby were in fact "hidden in a cloud of smoke" as golferman so kindly put it. I never realized it before. I have done some soul searching and discovered a new me. Inside and out. My feelings have changed, some things are important, and some are not. I'm not sure what the future hold for me & hubby and our kids, but I do know I choose not to smoke. I want to create my "old life" in a new way, with new meanings, and new ways to handle anything life throws at me. My girls are my inspiration. I love them more than anything. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 311 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $49.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the replies. Redrosie, how do you remember so many details? (how I lost my last quit). Thanks for your ongoing support. Golferman... Your direct,no nonsencse approach and your insight... I have grown to accept and appreciate. LOL Important point Hummy (about the drinking), although on sunday, the beer was at a minimun. This is not to say that it is not a factor. Polly and Lady, thankyou. I have spoken about counselling but my husband is more likely to quit smoking then talk it out. He really keeps his feelings in and has a hard time communicating. I told him that he will have to deal with this if he wants to quit smoking. He says he will. When I quit before, he also quit for a year so it is possible.I will not give up, our children deserve for us to work together on this. However I am going to stand my ground. There is hope I know. My Father has done a complete turn around (He and my husband work together). Dad saw me quit last time around and he took the plunge too. He has since quit drinking and goes to church with my mom. I am so happy for them. I just don't want to wait a lifetime like she did for it to happen. No matter what. I choose not to smoke. I would like to say to all of you who have followed my posts wondering how I became smoker again after 4 years of being quit... It was a choice. Thats what I discovered about my last quit...The decision to not smoke was an easy one. I was free,( it took about 18 months to 2 years). I did not become a smoker again because of cravings or temptations. I was angry and depressed and made a conscious decision to smoke. I choose not to recall how hard it was to reach that point in your quit where you can say, "I will never smoke again". This time I'm in it for life. Right? Right.
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone. I haven't been posting much lately so before I do I want to congratulate all of you on your milestones that have been reached. Together we are getting there. I know that we all have to work at quitting and it doesn't come easy but the single most important factor in reaching the much deserved and respected place of freedom (from this addiction) is time (beyond your last puff). This is why slipping is so horrible. If we want to be successful in this endeaver we must realize that N.O.P.E. is the key. The rest will come,just let time pass until you reach a place where life can be good again. Better even because we will be smokefree. This said, I feel the need to vent a little. That's the beauty of this site. We can vent,get support, use up countless hours of our smokefree time, etc., until time passes, our quit meters increase and freedom is one day,one hour, one minute closer. This past weekend was a killer. My husband and I painted our house(with the help of a friend who smokes),I don't know what cost more,the paint or the beer and cigs. Anyway this said, you can imagine how hard its been. I go from my isolated smokefree zone into..the forbidden zone.. I only had 1 beer as I knew that this was the one thing that could cause me to relapse. I stayed away from the shed as my hubby and his friend took countless smoke breaks. At least they took the smoke out of the house. That is until Sunday... My husband all of a sudden decides that it's o.k. to smoke while standing in our front doorway. I complained rather loudly I might add that this was not okay. He said o.k. and went outside but then did it again an hour later. He kept it up and I felt so deflated. Like He just doesn't care about me and the kids. I never smoked in our house when I was a smoker. How can he possibly think its no big deal? Then as we were in bad later, he has the audacity to expect me to have sex? I am so angry/disappointed, I tell him that our relationship is on the rocks and unless we start sharing our time and feelings then I cannot be intimate. He is a workaholic too and I told him that I so badly want us to be on the same page and unless he is ready to look at why he smokes (I believe smoking keeps him busy and wrapped up in himself), then how can we move forward in ou
18 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cincere! Congratulations on 75 days quit! I can understand your frustration with your husband. I too have decided that 2006 is a year for an all new me. I keep wishing my hubby could see it and want the same for himself. Keep up the good work, your kids are seeing that you are staying strong and will follow your good example. Polly [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,089 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $284.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cincere. Good to hear your staying strong in your quit. I wish your hubby could join you, but that doesn't seem likely anytime soon. You just have to try to keep your quit seperate from the problems you are having with him. I know that's easy for me to say right? If I remember correctly you lost your last quit because of" if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I hope you keep that in mind. I know you won't let that happen again. Also keep in mind what a GREAT role model you are being for your kids. They must be so proud and happy with you. We all are too! Keep Strong Cincere, and come here when you need to vent. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $647.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey, sounds like you had a rough weekend. But i am really proud of you. It must be hard to live with a smoker. I am also very proud that when you had a intense craving you didnt cave in when it wouldve been easy to. Gives me hope that I can remain strong in my quit no matter what comes my way as long as I am strong and reinforce my reasons in my head. In the end you'll always feel better that you didnt smoke rather than smoke. Keep it up! :-) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 238 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $376 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$23,695.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 443 Hours: 23

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cincere.. I too agree with Joe on this one. I just want to add that quitting has changed my entire world as well and the things I thought unimportant in the past have suddenly become very important to me. Continue to stand you ground. Counseling may be a wise decision. Make sure you exhaust all efforts before giving up because miracles happen every day. Also know that as time goes on your decision to stay smoke free will get easier and you will have less triggers. You have an awesome quit going there. Protect it at all costs. It is your life you are talking about. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 262 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,248 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $917 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cincere, Hang in there!! I have always said that quitting results in changes in our lives and lifestyles. Apparently your quit had exposed some issues in your relationship that were probably always there, but you hid from them in a cloud of smoke. Now that you have taken back control of your life from the nicodemon, you can see clearly now for the first time in years. Those who live with smoking spouses always amaze me. Some seem to get by ok, whiles others struggle. I believe it comes down to how the smoker respects the non smoker. When you have a smoking spouse that just ignores the pleas from the non smoker to take it outside and be courteous, that behavior, I believe, mirrors their views on the marital relationship.. ignorance and selfishness. On the other extreme, you have the smoking spouse who goes out of their way to be as "invisible" to the non smokers as possible. Here you have an addict who realizes their issues and tries to not have it interfere with more important matters.. their relationship. You may want to seek out some counseling for your relationship. There are bigger issues there than just his smoking. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 309 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,734 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $757.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$36,325.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9766 Hours: 8

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cincere Truthfully, I could have written that same post at my 75 day mark - EXACTLY as you have written it. I had a couple of rough weeks back then There may be a lot of things that you may want to change about your life when you quit smoking, but just like quitting smoking you have to take it one day at a time. Don't try to make too many major changes right now. For now, just work on you and changing your thinking about smoking Focus on your quit until you feel you are strong enough to handle those other issues without them ending up being an excuse to go back to smoking. Those issues have been around for a long time, they won't get dealt with overnight. I recently bought a book titled "Relationship Rescue". I started reading it and the first part deals with fixing yourself. I'm not strong enough in my quit to read further and that is OK. I'll get there. The relationship will wait. You are not alone. Hang on and we'll get through it. It's a choice! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 102 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,572 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1173 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$330,335.93

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6025 Hours: 16

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cincere, I agree with Joe, but would like to add one thing. You mentioned that you stopped drinking after one beer. I�ll bet your husband did not. Perhaps his drinking blurred his judgment a bit. People do some really stupid things while drinking alcohol. Congratulations on sticking to your quit! Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 319 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,775 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2073.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$472,232.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5381 Hours: 15

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: