Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

NO JUSTICE

18 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bob, I am sorry to hear about your friend. What a bitter blow. My only nearness to this is that I play the flute in church and am often reminded of a concert flutist of my acquaintance who passed away from lung cancer without ever having smoked. I met her in the same church, when she came to promote organ and tissue donation. A lung transplant saved her life, but she was diagnosed with the same type of cancer in her new lungs and finally lost her battle. She comes to mind -- that vibrant and talented young woman -- [i]every[/i] time I pick up my flute in church. She's part of the reason I began to think more seriously about quitting. I'm doing this for my own health, but it's a terrible thing to see her face in my mind, knowing that she got the diagnosis I've been inviting for many years. At any rate, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, and will keep a good thought for your strength as you stand by him during this time. Burke
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
duffis, my heart just breaks for you and your friends family. Not long ago I watched my husband die of lung cancer. So I know what his family is going through. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you..... SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,167 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$229,913.44

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 5

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Life sucks sometimes doesn't it! I had a friend who died a few years ago of lung cancer in his 40's) and had never smoked in his life. All I thought of is that it should have been me and not him. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do about it but feel bad about ourselves. So, I am really sorry to hear your news and agree that there is no justice sometimes. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 470 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �97.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Duffis. I truly feel for you and your friend. He is lucky to have you there for support. Last summer, my brother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer (what began in his bowels had spread throughout his liver). He is 46 and he has never smoked. He kept a positive outlook and had faith that he could beat this. The doctors said that it was beyond the scope of medical science and that treatments would give him more time but they would not save his life. He would not give up. He suffered through 3 series of chemo and was very ill. All we could do was be there for him,visit and tell him we cared. We prayed alot. Last week, we anxiously awaited results of his cat scan...the Doctors couldn't understand, there was not a trace of cancer left in his body. Miracles do happen! I will be praying for you and your friend.
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry for you, your friend and his loved ones. You sound like a good friend who will be there when he needs your strength. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,790 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $614.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i wish we had 3 go,s at this life stuff. {{{{{{{{{{hugs duffis}}}}}}}}}}}
18 years ago 0 92 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Duffis: So sorry to hear of your friends' bad news. Just be there for him. As others have said life is too short and we never know who's next. I haven't posted in awhile, been kind of down with yet another sinus infection, feeling better now though, thanks to the antibiotics. Stay strong. Hugs Marilyn [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 278 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,563 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1251 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 37 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bob... we all need to value our lives, family, friends, and loved ones. Life is too short and tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. ((((((Hugs)))))) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 257 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $899.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Duffis!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! This sure has been quite a week! Many people either choosing to go back to smoking or making one-time mistakes and several people with friends recently being diagnosed with lung cancer. What a horrible drug this is! My deepest condolences to you and your friend and his family. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,470 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $455.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
duffis, Bob, my friend, life is never a rerun. For if it were, we would rewrite the scripts and leave out all the sadness, such as your friends "death sentence". There was a book out a number of years ago.. 1981 I believe.. WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE by Harold S. Kushner. You may want to pick up a copy. A few weeks ago Chris Reeves' widow died from lung cancer. She never smoked either. She did sing in a lot of smoky bars early in her career. Your friend had his dose of second hand smoke from his wife. Still, there are those that are never bothered by cancer. Life just sucks at times. Enjoy your friend while he is still here and simply be thankful for your good health. Peace my friend. Joe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 305 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,634 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $747.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$36,332.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9767 Hours: 22

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: